Pannier Latch Replacement Question

Hello. Recently (January 1, 2022 at 9AM when the windchill stood at about -25°F while I was tying it down on the trailer) took possession of a 2010 NT700V. Reasonably clean but has the usual factory pannier latch issues. I have spent the last couple of days patching up and reenforcing the area around the latches. I'll see how long the repair lasts once riding season returns in a couple of months. In the event I need/decide to change over to external latches, I have been perusing the types of latches, number and installation parameters used by various members here. The one thing I haven't seen is what those of you who went to external latches did with the factory latching mechanism under the seat.. Leave it in, take it out or modify it in some way?

Thanks,
Ron

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hi Ron. Although my factory latches acted funny on occasion, they never actually stopped working. I installed the latches as a 'preventative' repair in the event they ever did fail completely, the backup was already in place. Therefore, they are still in place, living harmoniously with my aftermarket external latches.
That said, I recall others here who removed the factory latches completely once they installed their own.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I haven't seen is what those of you who went to external latches did with the factory latching mechanism under the seat.. Leave it in, take it out or modify it in some way?
For me. I removed the right one complete with all the cables for both sides. I left the left one in place to use the factory seat latch mechanism. I also removed the receivers from both lids.

OP
OP
Thanks guys. Lots of info here covering types of latches and placement. I have time to ponder it all. Just wasn't sure about the cable mechanisms and the interaction with the seat latch. I'm sure it will become clear once I get under there.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Thanks guys. Lots of info here covering types of latches and placement. I have time to ponder it all. Just wasn't sure about the cable mechanisms and the interaction with the seat latch. I'm sure it will become clear once I get under there.
The seat latch is its own separate mechanism from the luggage system. The thumb latch for the seat is just hidden under the left cover is all.

It's a single pull cable from the thumb release to the part that actually grabs the U bar on the seat.

As for the luggage cables.... I posted a detailed overview of their operation starting here

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The seat latch & it's cabling is simple & trouble-free and similar to the hood latch system in most modern cars.

Conversely the latching system for the saddlebag lids is too flimsy and relies on extremely light tension springs to make the latch lock. Just a modest amount of grit on those latches can and will make them stick and not operate properly, plus the plastic towers on which the latching mechanism is installed is too weak.

Top Bottom