Pannier lights, Fuzeblock, dash light

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I copied Tomouley's idea on pannier lights. Its as handy as having a glove box light in the car (which mine does not have :mad: ). I used these:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-wired-bolts/little-dot-smd-led-accent-light/639/

They have 3M tape on them, so they are stuck in place, and not usable as a flashlight like Tomouleys are. Perhaps in the future I will add a second one with an extension cord on it. :smile:

Another change I made was to flush mount the switch. Next time I stop at the spouses shop (auto glass) I plan on stealing a bit of urethane and putting some on the backside of the switch and the hole I drilled for the light, just to make it leak proof.

I also added a dash light. Mine is cool white with black housing. Used the same style switch.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-wired-bolts/bolt-beam-5mm-led-light/57/

In the future, I will add one of them flush mount LED's to each fairing pocket. I only bought enough to do my NT and the faux-tank 'pocket' on the spouses NC.

Dash light.

Pannier light:

Switch/light:

Fuzeblock:
Separate lines for Dash lights, GPS, tank bag, Battery Tender, pannier lights. The front fender LED's are hard wired through the headlight and the rear LED's are hardwired to the license plate light.

Wire routing up to front. Yellow going down towards fender is for the front fender LED's, green wire is for the switched wire on the Fuzeblock. I added it to the front parking light in the headlight bowl. PITA to do that, but it worked well. Yellow going up towards the dash is for the GPS and the tank bag (phone, etc).

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
A dash light should be red so it does not destroy your night vision when you use it.

skiper

Great idea and nice execution . Thanks for the post and pictures. The pannier lights will help when transporting small pets , won't need a bubble skylight for the critters to come out for a ride.. The passthru might be a little dark, but better for sleeping ..

OP
OP
Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
A dash light should be red so it does not destroy your night vision when you use it.

I have a red one, just haven't installed it yet. I wanted to option of either one. I have noticed that on some maps and such, with a red light, you can't read portions of the map. That happened when I was flying one night.

And after I'm stopped for the night, I don't really care if my night vision is diminished.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i think it looks great! lights are such a good idea for non-removable panniers.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I have a red one, just haven't installed it yet. I wanted to option of either one. I have noticed that on some maps and such, with a red light, you can't read portions of the map. That happened when I was flying one night.

And after I'm stopped for the night, I don't really care if my night vision is diminished.
True. VFR charts are heavily color-coded and some of that stuff just vanishes under red light. Many of us no longer use paper charts at all and the electronic charts are self-illuminated.

OP
OP
Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
True. VFR charts are heavily color-coded and some of that stuff just vanishes under red light. Many of us no longer use paper charts at all and the electronic charts are self-illuminated.
We're still a bit old fashioned when it comes to charts. May eventually enter the 21st century, but I'll always carry paper. Same with car/bike travels. GPS and such are great, but.....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I carry WAC charts when I fly commercial. The scale on them just about perfectly matches what you can see from 30,000+ feet. The only problem with them is that they just don't work very well over water. :)

Top Bottom