Paris Peripherique during Morning Rush Hour

That looks like every trip on the freeway just to leave Los Angeles to get to our great riding areas. Congestion is just a way of life in big cities, I would stop riding if I couldn’t filter/split lanes.

Chris,

1. Many people do in Paris. Psychiatrists do very well over here.
2. Not sure, probably 18" when moving. If they are stationary, then 2" - 3". It's the same for all types of vehicles. If a van has "Bat Wing Mirrors", our mirrors will be below those.
3. In most cities if you put 30% of the commuters on motorcycles, you eliminate congestion.
4. Unfortunately, yes. It's only some (not all) of the older areas which are nice. They have tried to keep a lot of the skyscrapers out of the centre of Paris
5. There's no "Breakdown Lane, Hard Shoulder or 'Bande d'Urgence'". There's just enough room to get the emergency services through, if the vehicles can move out of the way. Quite often they drive down the wrong way as it's clear. There are barriers which come down across most of the "Expressways" just before some of the exits to close them off and move the traffic onto the city streets.
6. True, it has to be properly managed but the "Powers That Be" aren't interested (insert your reasons here 😀)
Wow. You have gonads the size of grapefruit! At my age, I dont feel I have the balance to negotiate a path that gets that close to other vehicles. Of course in America, there is no rule about staying in the center of your lane and many people wander due to cell phone use, drugs, alchohol, computer screens in cars, etc. The problem in Spokane is that as people saw how nice it was not to have congenstion, they moved here and brought California with them. You actually can build your way out of congestion but it would take zoneing laws that people are unwilling to live with. For instance, if you bypasses my town of Airway Heights just to the west of Spokane, you would have to pass zoning laws to forbid building permits along the bypass and indeed in Airway Heights itself, and that is not going to happen. I assume Paris doesnt get much snow but even if you were able to make the traffic manigible with light rail that is used or special motorcycle lanes, it would just attract more people.
In Seattle, they charge cars for using certain lanes at certain times. And the charge varies with the traffic load. So if you drove to Seattle from Paris France or Paris Illinois and you were in one of those lanes, you would recieve a bill in the mail for a charge. (I wouldnt pay it if I lived out of state). If you used a rental car, THEY would charge your card.

Reactions: JQL
You're catching me up 😀. I used to ride it daily for about 8 years so reckon on about 80,000 - 100,000 km

Would be a big challenge to catch you up. If I include filtering on N12 and A86 I would be today at around 70.000 km. Planning to retire in spring 2026 (at the latest)😏 and moving principal residence to Italian Dolomites next summer. No lane splitting here…
Will switch working place back to Gentilly in September next year, so I guess I will be again obliged to take the periferique…so let’s see…998DE27C-1134-49A5-8917-1C0B6E2003DA.jpeg

Reactions: JQL
Back
Top Bottom