Plasics Painting?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Yeah, if you bought your bike used you might think the pockets and side pieces with the vents are supposed to be greyish, but they just used bad plastic for an outdoor machine.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I just wish the black plastic was all made out of the same stuff as the plastic that the panniers are made from. That part doesn't fade.
I suspect they are made of a different plastic that has to be somewhat flexible to assist in removing them. The panniers appear to be a stronger more rigid plastic. Now these properties may have nothing to do with their ability to hold the color its just speculation on my part.

OP
OP

Sean-NT700

Cool, I will definetly use ammonia and clean them. I think they might be a little to faded for wax, But I guess i should probably atleast try it since I am planning on painting them anyway. When I bought the bike last year from honda, it looked really nice and shiny. But after a few months I noticed that it was faded(Dang you honda). It was a used bike that camed down from alaska. I think I will try the wax and see how it looks.
Thanks,

OP
OP

Sean-NT700

Well the painting didn't go so well for atleast one piece. I painted every single piece that could be removed, And now I want to go buy some cowls. :( Does anyone recommend a place to purchase the cowls?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sean, which cowls do you want to buy? My best luck for prices has been at BikeBandit.com. Give 'em a try!

OP
OP

Sean-NT700

Thanks Phil, I was looking at BikeBandit.com, I was currently reading reviews. You never can be to sure now a days..I am currenty looking for the Side Panels, The Vents Cowls, and under the headlight cowl, and the backpart where the trunk would mount. If that makes any sense...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You could do what I did to my big pannier lids. I sanded them with 100-grit paper, and then sprayed them with satin-black rattle-can paint. They actually look pretty good.

P1050047.jpg

Or at least I think they do. You're gonna spend a bunch of money replacing all the things you're talking about, aren't you?

kenstone

Newb here, reviving an older thread.
I stumbled onto this thread after considering painting the panniers on my bike as the are chipped and nicked, with spray on bed liner.

I've used it for many other MC parts on other, older, bikes to update things like lower fork legs from silver to black.

It will give a textured finish that covers a lot of imperfections, and cover nicks/scratches and gouges.

The Rusto brand is available at Wal-mart, in the auto dept, but I found the Dupli-Color brand sold at NAPA to be a better product.
I don't sand anything to prep, just clean with lacquer thinner, and spray away.
I have found the Rusto brand can be removed with lacquer thinner without harming the factory finish too.

The only down side is it's not that easy to clean and will pull lint from a cloth or paper cleaning towel, so I use a soft brush and spray rinse.
kenstone

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
OK, here's some pics of Dupli-Color Bedliner on Paniers:
That is ...WOW...nice. A great idea for how to deal with scratched up panniers without having to spend the $tupid price for new ones. I suppose it doesn't matter if you drop it now and the pannier get marked up.... just re-paint. Good job, and thanks for the pics.

kenstone

Thanks
I bought this bike pre-scratched and have added my own to the right panier.
I have other bikes and when I switch back to the NT I seem to hit the right panier with my foot during my 1st dismount.

So the routine is now, side stand down, left foot back on the peg for the dismount to clear the panier.
I know I'll be kicking that pan again:doh1:, but this bedliner is easy to touch up.
We'll see how it holds up,
Ken

kenstone

Not the 1st time I've used it and the DupliColor version seems to hold up better that the Rustoleum stuff.
I've had a chance to kick them and drag my boot eyelets over them for a while know, with a lot less damage than the original paint.

Here's a pic from yesterday:D

I used it here too, to block out some of the RED of this fairing:

I didn't like the results on some parts on that red bike and simply washed it off with lacquer thinner.
On the NT panniers, I scotch brited the paint and wiped them done with carb cleaner and lacquer thinner, before spraying.
Oh yeh, I used spray cans I bought at NAPA, the dupli-color cost 2 or 3x as much as rustoleum, but to me it's worth it.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I did the black plastic with Detail Doctor--available at Auto Zone or from the TV ad on the Speed Channel. It goes on easy and makes the plastic look like new.

Top Bottom