Plastic Rot

Have noted that the plastic on the luggage carrier is getting very marked up even though I do not use it. Also the plastic on the middle cowel lid is getting a uv deteriorated layer. I wonder if any of the products highly advertised on tv work? Seems they could only be a cosmetic solution. Comments?

tawilke46

I use Meguires Natural Shine Protectant, which has UV protection properties. Plus it isn't too shiny when it dries. I apply 3 to 4 times a year.

I don't park my bike in the sun or leave outside for long periods. And take a bike cover with me if traveling.

Last edited:

bicyclist

You can use the various uv protectants, but a cover when the bike is parked helps a lot.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have tried it all and nothing works for long if you park outside all the time like I do. I do use a half cover while its parked at work and a full cover at home. I think painting is the most effective solution if you are loosing ground with the wipe on stuff.

Bike
2009 ex Mod white nt700va
Colour impregnated polish. " Black autoglym" from Halfords in the uk works a treat. It's just a thick black waxy polish. Rub on and buff off.
The blue one works a treat on my old triumph's paintwork too. Hides a myriad of scratches ,stains and scuffs. But then I do have a polishing fetish, which helps.

Hank From NM

Here in New Mexico, the sun destroys plastic really quickly. Mine went 'grey' about 6 months after I bought 'Lil'Putt'. I went to AutoZone and picked up a can of VHT 'Rubber Bumper' spray paint. It seems to be working really well. If the 'tupperware' gets too light for the waxes to work, painting is about the only option that I know of that works for sure.

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank, Lil'Putt', and 'the Grey Lady'

The plastic rot we are all experiencing is clearly a manufacturing defect. Honda neglected to add UV blockers to most of our plastic external parts, and this rot is the result. The thing that is really irritating about this is that it is completely unnecessary. If Honda had spent a few cents more, all these parts could have been made from polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) and been tough as hell and almost completely impervious to UV. PVDF is used as the outer coating on golf balls, for example.

I say this is a clearly a manufacturing defect, and I think the photos below prove my contention. Some of the plastic parts obviously did have UV protection. Look, for example, at the difference between the plastic dash and the plastic glove-box covers. Or the difference between the side panels and the pannier material behind the painted covers. This bike is my daily commuting bike, and I ride it every day, so it does get a lot of exposure . . . but I do think that the exposure is at least roughly the same for the entire bike. If the differential rot between pieces is not a manufacturing defect, then why the difference?

Attachments

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I no longer have an NT, but had the same pieces that were getting grey and as they greyed they seemed to get hard and more susceptible to scratches. My bike was pretty much in great condition except for these pieces and it bothered me. In my case, I have dedicated motorcycle parking at work where the bike is parked with the headlight facing east. The side panel on the north side was mostly shaded and the best looking piece. So I was certain it was sun damage. I first tried a product with 501 in the name. It was like a sunscreen, and helped a bit, but was always temporary. I put it on about 3 times.

I finally got fed up and removed the grey pieces and coated them with Plastidip. I think it worked great. It really matched the plastics that were not fading. When I traded off the bike last January the Plastidip was still holding up really well. The only spot it was not, was where my knees had touched the side pieces and started to wear through. Even with these two small wear spots, it still looked much better than before the plastidip and the dealer didn't even seem to notice it. The plastidip was on for one year and 4 months when I traded. It still looked like the photos in my thread I will link here. I have some comparison photos there to see the before and after. I highly recommend plastidip for this becuase it is cheap, easy to apply, and non-permanent. If you don't like it you can peel it off, but is durable enough to stay on. My experience is that it does not fade in UV light.

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?7176-Plasti-Dip-(black-faded-plastics)&highlight=plasti-dip

mike_NT700V

I use Meguires as well. I can't say it makes it better, but it seems to keep it from getting any worse. Right now mine looks exactly the same as the pics that BillyDoc posted. Honestly, for as long as I plan on keeping the bike, I'm considering buying NOS replacements so "Agnes" can have a fresh look.

mike_NT700V

Also, for some unknown reason, the throttle side of the bike has faded far worse. Probably how it was parked/stored by the original owner, but still weird...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
When parked on the side stand the throttle side is at an angle facing the sun and is more exposed. On my NT the throttle side is in worse shape than the side stand side. Due to lack of a garage my NT is parked outside 24/7 and most of the time I use a half cover so the lower plastic still gets exposed. After year two I bought several new pieces that were not very expensive. Now the new ones are gray as well. Shorty I will begin painting them.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Maybe this fall after I finish all my riding, I'll pull the grey plastic and rattle-can it all flat black.

Except for where I dropped and scraped 'em, the big pannier lids have stayed pretty good with Krylon Satin Black.

Top Bottom