Plugged tires

Deleted member 540

While on a road trip I had to plug my rear tire with some sticky rope Friday. So far it has held up-400 miles. It was in the middle and in between the raised tread. The tire is a PR2 with 4000 miles on it. What experiences have ya'll had with plugged tires?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I have only plugged a couple of bike tires. One was fine. Recently I picked up a nail and tryed to plug it. The tire would never seal well enough. It appeared to leak slowly when it was being ridden and then seal while in the garage. I tryed to replug it but had the same issue with a slow leak (1-2 psi per day). Since I couldn't seal it well enough I replaced it about a week ago for the peace of mind.
If you can get a good seal I would plug and ride it but I may not wear the tread down quite as far as an unplugged tire at tire end of life.

Brad

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
I had a CBR 1000RR before I grew up and got my NT, on that bike I picked up a nail and plugged the leak. Everyone I talked too told me how unsafe that would be and to replace that tire. I checked the pressure in that tire before every ride for several weeks and the pressure never changed. I think I put 3000 miles on that plugged rear tire before I replaced it, and I replaced it because it wore out.
Plugged tire worked fine for me, but for a while after the plug is installed it is a good idea to CLOSELY monitor the tire.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I developed a puncture last summer on my rear tire which had only 5K miles on it. I repaired it with a Stop and Go mushroom style plug and it was fine for about 11K more miles until several weeks ago it started leaking ever so slightly. Because I have some longish rides planned, I decided to replace the rear tire rather than re-plug it. In my situation, Slime wasn't an option since installed TPMS sensors and the Slime could possibly damage them. I'd say, go for the plug, but keep a close watch on it.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Have repaired two different tires in the past with tire plugs and never had a problem with them. Ran the tires easy for the first day and then never cared. Checked tire presure a little more often but got all the miles out of those tires before I changed them. Like the others have mentioned, if it won't seal then I would change it, if it does, ride it. Both times I plugged mine I used the rubber plugs. Haven't been able to find those any more. Just the rope type.

DJ

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I plugged a PR3 on my ST1300 with a red gummy worm plug. Rode it a 1000 miles and then dismounted it and had the dealer put a patch-plug in it from the inside of the tire. It will go back on my ST1300 when the present PR3 wears out. I still have about another 4 to 5k miles left on that tire. I have plugged many a tire and so far never had a problem with the plug leaking or coming out. The best repair solution is a patch-plug from the inside of the tire.

Top Bottom