position indicator light?

I've only had my NT700V for a short time. Yesterday I noticed a small light bulb in the headlight assembly at the very bottom. According to the wiring diagram, it is a position indicator light. What is that for? I'm guessing it is a European thing? I'm mystified as to what good purpose it could possibly perform. Just curious.

Cliff

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Not sure what it's for, just know it's on all the time the key is on. Probably a Euro thing, given the NTs origin, it may be there for Euro regs. Perhaps our NT owner friends on the other side of the pond may know.

I've had my NT for a decade now, and haven't even replaced one bulb yet. How's that for reliability? Of course I shouldn't have said anything, one will probably fail tomorrow. :rofl1:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm not sure, but I believe the position indicator is required in some countries to be used to mark your bike when it is parked at night. Way back in the day...(Dirt Flier will remember this) Hondas came with a park position on the ignition switch which would allow you to remove your key but keep the taillamp bulb illuminated to keep your bike visible when parked at night.

Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I'm not sure, but I believe the position indicator is required in some countries to be used to mark your bike when it is parked at night. Way back in the day...(Dirt Flier will remember this) Hondas came with a park position on the ignition switch which would allow you to remove your key but keep the taillamp bulb illuminated to keep your bike visible when parked at night.
Exactly...
My '92 ST1100 did have that "parking" position on the ign lock, the regulation fell '96 onward, but we still have the OFF/P/LOW light switch.
The 5W position lamp also helps other road users to still ID your vehicle in case of a failed headlight bulb...

Top Bottom