Possible Electric Windshield Option

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have seen several comments about wanting to add an electric adjustable windshield to the NT. While looking for something else I stumbled on to the Firecreek Accessories website.

One of their products is kit to add a electric windshield (Click on Electric Option) to the Wing and other touring bikes. The kits main component, the Line Actuator, looks like it could be adapted to the NT fairly easy. The actuator provides 4 inches of movement...

I think the hardest part may be getting rid of the stock position "notches" on the windshield adjuster brackets to allow free movement of the windshield. For mounting the actuator I would make a bracket going between the OEM brackets (Left to Right) to mount and center the actuator on the NT's windshield. That appears to be a fairly strong point and should easily handle the torque. Decide how high you want the windshield for your base "Low" setting and bolt the bracket on. Then drill a hole, centered on the windshield bracket, for the actuator rod to come out through the nose plastic. Then mount it to the windshield with a "Ram Style" small ball to allow it to pivot... After that it is just tweaking the positioning, mounting and doing the wiring... :smile:

If nothing else this should give you some ideas on how to power the the NT's windshield...:D

PS: They also have an auxiliary fuel tank that might work for Phil and the others wanting more range.... I run out of range before the NT runs out of gas...:rolleyes1:

The range of any bike so equipped with the auxiliary tank is going to way outlast my range.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
There are some much smaller and much more inexpensive fuel cells. I think a 3-gallong cell would be great to have. I may well do that before my "Epic Post-Retirement Ride" in 2013.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If I wanted extra fuel I'd just get one or two 1gal plastic 'cans' and strap them on the back. If I needed the extra range a lot then I'd get one of those fuel cells the adv guys use.

After looking at that windshield actuator I think I can rig one up that looks better and is far less money. It has given me an idea I will have to explore next time I have all the plastic off the bike.

bicyclist

Highly overrated. I think I used it twice while riding. To me, it's just as easy to stop and adjust it on the NT.
That's my feeling, as well. It doesn't make sense to me to add weight and complication to an already overweight bike for so little benefit. How difficult is it to adjust the screen at the next gas or pee stop?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Besides being able to get the best position for the screen (instead of one of the notches), I do wish I could change the screen height while on the move. When riding on a road with no shoulders and the next available stop is 20 min ahead and I am getting cold cause I just descended 1000ft in 5 min, then, yeah, I do want to adjust it NOW! :)

Or when a crosswind kicks up, I'd rather raise the shield now than wait 10min and the wind is gone. Or when I crest a hill and see a bunch of twisties I want to lower the screen now rather than later.

So, yeah, I do want to adjust it on the move :)

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
am i in the minority in finding it is not very difficult to raise or lower the stock NT windshield while driving? lowering is easier, so start driving in a higher position and just "bump" it down with your hand. to raise, i just slip my hand, palm up, into the center open area and push up with my fingertips. granted, not something to do in stop-and-go situations, but when you have a uninterrupted 10 seconds or so at a comfortable cruising speed, it's easy enough imo.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I have adjusted it down, but have never been able to move it up from behind the screen. Moving or stopped....

maxweljames

I've been very successful at moving it up while riding. When my wife is on the back she prefers it all the way up, and as Rob said, just put your hand under the center and lift. I often forget to put it up when she gets on so it happens on the fly.

I've been less successful at bumping it down simply because I don't always get it exactly in the detents, this allows the windshield to creep down with wind pressure.

I initially wanted an electric, but have found that I only ride with it in 1 of 2 positions, my position and the wife's position.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have been able to slap the screen down while riding, but, frequently it goes down too far. I've never been able to raise it while riding. I can raise it while stopped by grabbing with both hands.

A vario might be good on a smaller screen, but, I like my CB +6 :)

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
just received notice my cee bailey +4 shipped yesterday (finally!) can't wait for that farkle :) i must have missed the conversation about the sandstorn and yours rick...what happened to it? did the sand scratch it all up?

elizilla

His CeeBailey is here. He left it when he visited and picked up the MRA Vario from me. It's covered in light scratches, but I've seen worse. At some point I need to find a box and ship it to him.

elizilla

The one I had, that Rick has now, is an entire screen. But they also sell an adjustable spoiler attachment you can put onto other screens. I have not tried it, just seen them in the Twisted Throttle catalog.

Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
I'm just glad I'm not the only one who is unwilling to pull over for 23 seconds to raise/lower the windshield!

Man... When I'm moving, I feel like I could just stay there all day. Any disruption is jus not part of the deal. Funn thing was, i went to go get "coffee" in my home town 150 miles south (Chapin SC ), and I just couldn't pull off the "fingers below the middle maneuver". Several stop signs later (always beautiful backroads over the I-slab) and I finally succumbed to the reality that I couldn't pull it off ... So I throttled down, stopped on the side of a cricket calling dawn laden blvd... And moved my shield up a notch.

My only question is: Why aren't the stop signs with rickety gas stations a problem, but having to slow to a stop for the dreaded shield change is a mental battle?!@'n

Man, I love this bike!

Top Bottom