Powder-coated Wheels

Bike
2010 Honda NT700VA
Have never been real fond of the silver color wheels on my silver NT. So, I took advantage of what I hope will be a short, cold-weather off season, to pull the wheels and have them powder-coated black. Haven't put them back on the bike yet but I am very pleased with the new look.
IMG_1550a.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
They look beautiful. Just out of curiosity what was the cost per wheel?

OP
OP
bikecyclerBen
Bike
2010 Honda NT700VA
Wow! I've always wondered what powder-coating cost...that's a lot less than I would have expected. Did you prep the wheels for them? And if so, what did you have to do?
I had to pull the wheels and then take them to my Honda shop to have all the hardware removed. (Though I have tools, etc, I apparently do not have the right ones as I could not even get the rotors off due to their high torque.) Anyway, the Honda shop charged me about $50 to pull all hardware off of both wheels. Then I took the bare rims to the powder-coating place. When I got them back, I went back to the Honda shop and got all the hardware put back on as well as my new set of Avon Storm 2s. All in all, with new tires and the mounting/balancing of them, the powder-coating, and the hardware labor, I paid about $525.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i think the black looks really nice. that's one thing i like about my Explorer is the dark gray powder-coated wheels. i like the black even better. nice job!

OP
OP
bikecyclerBen
Bike
2010 Honda NT700VA
Agreed, Sam. But since I decided to save the expense of repainting the bike (which I may do in the future), I wanted a good look with the silver. Given the other black on the bike, I'm convinced that the silver/black look will be solid. And, if I do repaint the bike to a blue I want, the look will still be great witht he black wheels.

bicyclist

if I do repaint the bike to a blue I want, the look will still be great witht he black wheels.

That will look good. Which blue is it? Have you photoshopped a picture of the bike with the color?

As an aside, the stock silver is pretty blah, but it doesn't show dirt much. The bike has to be absolutely filthy before you notice.

OP
OP
bikecyclerBen
Bike
2010 Honda NT700VA
Dug the NT from winter storage today and put the powder-coated wheels back on it. I think the black wheels give the bike a slightly more aggressive stance. I like 'em. (But then again, after making the investment I guess I have to. :smile:)

IMG_1633a.jpg

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Definitely improves the looks. You did a really nice job. They do make blue reflective rim tape.

slider

You can also plasti dip them and peel it off if you don't like it.

Top Bottom