Powerlet Polarity?

Mattb

I've misplaced the instructions for my MCL handlebar cap w/powerlet but I recall a warning about the polarity.

On a powerlet, which is positive? The outer ring or the inner "clip"?

Thanks!

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
+1, the outer ring is neg... that way you don't accidentally touch it with something and pop a fuse. Well, I don't know if that's the 'why' but always made sense to me.

OP
OP

Mattb

Thanks Gents! I'm fishing the wires down around the frame now and then will be off to the parts store for a fusible link and a relay.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Guys,

Please put the cheap electrical tape down...there is a much better readily available solution. Cheap electrical tape will lose it "stick", will unravel and put its remaining "stick" all over everything near by, and is not very weatherproof....much less water and windproof on a motorcycle. Get in the habit of using Heat Shrink Tubing and your electrical connections will last a lot longer and not turn in to a sticky, dirty mess over time. You can get small packs of it at Home Despot, Lowes, Ace, Pep Boys, or any electrical shop... You do not need a heat gun to shrink it, even though I have one for small jobs I use a disposable Bic lighter...or a wood kitchen match.... Shrink tubing will help keep you from wondering why doesn't my farkle doesn't work and what is that smell...????

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I found a 3m self-fusing rubber tape at my local ACE that I've been using instead of the heat shrink tubing.
If you found the 3M Type 70 that is the really good stuff, the only problem I've seen with it is dirt collecting on exposed adhesive...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
+1 on what Wayne said. If you are afraid of using an open flame like a Bic, borrow the wife's hair dryer. On the high setting, it does shrink tubing well.

Top Bottom