Powerlet wish list?

elizilla

I've posted before about the stuff from Powerlet, that I have installed on my various motorcycles. Well, yesterday they contacted me because they want to borrow the Super10 for measuring and prototyping. I said yes of course! Then I offered to lend them the NT for this, as well. They seem interested, and they want to know what people would like to have.

I have a couple of their generic outlets panel mounted, in the fairing pocket and the side case. But they do make bike-specific kits for other bikes, both panel mount kits with the wires already made to fit the bike, and kits to put outlets on the footpeg hangers, etc. So I am making a wish list for the NT. Anyone have any requests?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
It seems that those "Speaker Grills" on the NT could be used as switch panels or power inputs. Mine will house the switches for my auxiliary lights.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
A "kit" to install a Powerlet in the saddlebags would be nice. A basic kit that is in-line fused version for quick and dirty to the battery and also a kit without a in-line fuse for those of us with FZ-1's or other power distrubution panels...

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I have a 12v powerlet outlet on my MCL riser....never used it, but it is there for future use. I use a 5v usb connection on my handlebars to power a cell phone or gps. I may be in the minority here, but a 5v power supply kit that can be used to charge multiple devices located at the handlebars would be marketable. There are many 12v to 5v convertors that can be installed into either a 12v powerlet or 12v cigarette plug,.....so what is the need for the 12v plug if it just needs to be reduced to 5v anyway. Ideally, convert it to 5V under the seat and send a single 5v usb line to the handlebars for use there.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i like the idea of the usb connection to eliminate a 12v adapter. the smaller size should allow more flexible custom mounting options too?

OP
OP

elizilla

That's funny. I have been asking them for the 5v USB thing, for years. And the guys I talk to always say they want it too. I don't know what holds it up. I'll ask them again when I take the bike over there. :)

But I think that they're mainly interested in making bike-specific prototypes while they have the NT. I'll request the kits Wayne described.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I view my powerlet as something for higher current stuff, like heated gear. If I only need 5v then I'd want just USB connections.

If the powerlet is for heated gear then outlet near the grips or near the seat would be best. Maybe one inside one of the panniers for charging stuff while riding? (like an iPad or netbook computer)

Maybe the speaker grill idea has some merit here. Make a panel with several USB ports. Waterproofing would be an issue so if they could make it recessed with a flip type door on it to keep out rain? Three ports would be nice (GPS, phone, iPod?). Might also want to include a switch or two for those of us who want to add lights or other goodies? I'd buy something like that if it was under $50, maybe even if under $80 given how much work it would save me. :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I'd be OK with a fixed outlet and then have a Powerlet extension cord that everything else can plug into. Reminds me that I need to put a Powerlet plug on my air compressor.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Charlie.Bs idea of a recessed panel sounds good. Radio Shack makes plastic project boxes which could be recessed. I'll have to go to our RS with my tape measure. These boxes have lids.

Top Bottom