Preparations

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Ok, so the warm weather is here (90's several days this week in Richmond), but I am remembering January and February riding in temperatures in the 30's (I purchased my NT in January). I've never had heated gear or equipment of any type, but I like to ride as long as it is safe. But, I need to upgrade my gear to avoid the bulk of layers of clothing and gloves.
So, I've begun preparations for Fall and Winter. I am having a local mc shop install a set of Show Chrome brand heated grips, in black. They will provide 3 temperature options to keep the frost from setting into my hands. Again remembering the bulky gloves with additional liners this past winter and still having frozen hands, I think the heated grips are a bargain at about $130 installed. I ordered them and should be installed this week.
Next, I still need to do something with my seat. I took a 500 mile ride last Thursday and at 250 miles I was again in pain from the stock seat. Remembering the posts about the Walmart seat pad designed for atv's, I pulled into a Walmart and found it (it's made by Stearns and sells for about $16). That helped, but unfortunately my rear was already sore. I haven't had a ride over 50 miles since, so I cannot report of the real value to this addition.
I am going to order a Corbin seat. BUT, I need some advice. For those of you who have, or who have had, heated seats, please give me some input. How effective are the heated seats? I know monetary value is relative, but were they worth the investment to you? I believe the upcharge for the heated option through Corbin is around $180.
Now, on to heated clothing. I purchased a set of heated glove liners that will fit nicely under my new Alpinestar gauntlet gloves. This set up, in conjunction with the new heated grips should keep my hands toasty in all conditions. I now need to look into heated jackets or jacket liners and heated pants. Any advice on this front would be appreciated as well.
Do I have to worry at all about overwhelming the charging system if I were to run the heated grips along with a full set of heated gear? Also, do you find the heated pants necessary, or would a good pair of heavy touring pants suffice in temps in the 30's? (Again, I know comfort level varies for each individual, but what works for you?)
I want to be ready for all conditions on my NT. Riding improves my enjoyment of each day and I would like to extend this into a year-round pleasure. Now, I'm off today with my 8 year old son for what he calls our weekly "epic man-adventure". Loosely translated, this is our weekend day trip through the country-side with stops at anything that catches our eyes (streams, trails, ice cream stands, etc). He calls it our man-adventure because his mother has to work today, so unfortunately she is left out.
Thanks in advance for any input on this rather lengthy post.

Happy Riding!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Great going on your preparations. With all the Heated STuff you are planning, keep in mind the current draw on the bikes electrical system. The bike puts out 435 Watts @ 5000rpm. On page 1-12 of the SERVICE MANUAL is listed what the bike uses. Add that all up and subtract from 435 and that is what you have left available for electrical farkles.

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I second what Chuck said. Heated grips will keep your hands warm. You might help that along with wind deflectors. A heated vest would keep your core warm. Again, keep in mind how much power you have available. Auxiliary lights, sound systems, and all that other stuff takes power.

I ride in some cold weather and have no heating accessories. On cold days, I wear a Tourmaster Raven Jacket with a Polarfleece shirt. I am warm as toast. Winter gloves with gauntlet cuffs do the job well. (With your heated grips and some good winter gloves--look at Tourmaster and Aerostich). Good riding pants that are windproof and to some degree waterproof are a must. I wear ICON Pants. Boots, especially waterproof ones are a must. (Look at Tourmaster and Joe Rocket) I have the Joe Rocket Meteors. A decent full face helmet completes the outfit. A Bacalava is what some people swear by. I just use a polarfleece scarf to protect the neck.

I suggest a visit to your local MC Shop and try on some jackets and pants, boots, socks, gloves, etc. Whatever you do, don't try all that stuff on so you get a good fit--and then order online. Those of us in the business can't compete with the Internet.

I have a Bicycle Shop and business is not that good unless I do custom work. It really frosts me when someone goes out and buys parts--frequetly internet stuff is available at what it costs me through my distributor. The MC shops have the same problem.

I find it helpful to read catalogs. You should definitely get an Aerostich Catalog. Their stuff is "Top Shelf"

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I ride all year around and feel absolutely comfortable with wind deflectors, heated grips and heard vest. I wear chaps on legs. I might wear long johns if it's really cold- below 15, but have never felt a need for heated seat.

bicyclist

Jeff, If you're not in too great a rush to order your seat and stuff, I'll be back home in a couple of weeks and could get together with you. You could try my Corbin and possibly have them make changes to improve yours.

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
George, that sounds great. I'd love to try your Corbin before I order one. Shoot me a message when you get back on the east coast. Keep the ride reports coming and enjoy your trip!

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
John, thanks for the insight. I think the heated grips will go a long way toward winter comfort. I never really considered a heated seat, until I realized I definitely need to change out the stock saddle on the NT. I just have to decide whether the extra money for the heated option is worth it to me. Thanks for the input on brands of outerwear. Last winter I suffered through with thermals and other layers beneath my bulky riding coat and gloves. Most of the bikes I have owned were in warmer climates, but I plan on longer touring and want to be ready for all temperature and climate changes. If there is any snow on the roads, I leave the bike at home. Outside of snow on the roads, I ride nearly every day.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Now, on to heated clothing. I purchased a set of heated glove liners that will fit nicely under my new Alpinestar gauntlet gloves. This set up, in conjunction with the new heated grips should keep my hands toasty in all conditions. I now need to look into heated jackets or jacket liners and heated pants. Any advice on this front would be appreciated as well.
Do I have to worry at all about overwhelming the charging system if I were to run the heated grips along with a full set of heated gear? Also, do you find the heated pants necessary, or would a good pair of heavy touring pants suffice in temps in the 30's? (Again, I know comfort level varies for each individual, but what works for you?)
I have Honda's heated grips (which have five positions and can cook your hands), a Warm n Safe 90W heated jacket, and 10W Denali driving lights. When I've got the jacket turned up all the way, hand grips all the way, and go from low beam (55W) to high beam (110W), the voltage drops from 14.1-14.2 to 13.1-13.2.

If I power the handgrips down to the middle position of the five, I can leave the high beam on with the jacket turned up all the way. I have an ST-riding friend who has heated hand grips, heated jacket, heated pants, heated gloves and heated socks. He does not have any driving lights, but the ST will power all that... the NT would not.

I wear an Aerostitch, LD Comfort long underwear, my heated jacket, a fleece jacket over that, and some Gore-tex Winter gloves and have ridden comfortably down to 17F. Would have been fine to 10F, I think. The 'Stitch is not the warmest garment I've got. I've also got a set of Road Gear jacket and pants that would probably let me be comfortable down to 0F.

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
Thanks, Phil. After further thought, I think I'll go with: the heated grips I've already ordered, the heated glove liners I already have, a heated jacket liner, and better quality (warmer) riding pants. I'm still definitely going to replace the seat with a Corbin, but heated vs non-heated is still up in the air.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
What makes heated seats in a car for me is the heat in your lower back. for heat just in the bottom that's a lot of bucks for how much return. The grip heaters are real nice, they spoil you and I guess that is the whole point.

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
Karl, I'm sure you're right. The heated grips will surely spoil me on cold days, but a heated seat may not do much. The $180 upcharge from Corbin for the heated option on their seat could go toward other farkles (wind deflectors, etc). But, if I were ever going to get a heated seat, now would be the time to do it as I am going to change out the stock saddle.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I have the heated grips and love them, while the Honda power point in in the right pocket never once used it. There are times when just a bit of heat makes all the difference. Guess you never know till you try it for yourself.
enjoy

elizilla

I'm thinking the heated seat works well in a car because you're not wearing such heavy clothes there. But if you are wearing light enough clothes on the motorcycle, to feel heat from the seat, you're going to be freezing everything but your butt off.

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
I'm thinking the heated seat works well in a car because you're not wearing such heavy clothes there. But if you are wearing light enough clothes on the motorcycle, to feel heat from the seat, you're going to be freezing everything but your butt off.
That was my thought as well. I think I'll just go with the non-heated Corbin.

Top Bottom