Problem with engine kill switch

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hello fellow bikers! :) I don't know if I am alone in this or not... but I rarely use my engine kill switch. I simply turn the ignition key on or off as needed. This morning I used the kill switch to kill the engine for the first time in quite awhile. (Maybe a year?) When I switched it back to the run position and tried starting the engine - nothing. Like the kill switch was still engaged. Flipped it on and off a few times. Still nothing. After 10 times or so, the engine started like normal.

Is this simply a matter of the contacts in the switch being dirty from non use you think? Has anyone replaced their kill switch? Thoughts? Suggestions?

This is on my 2010 NT700V

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yeah, pretty common at least w/Honda switches.. spraying some electrical contact cleaner in there usually cleans it up nicely. I never use the kill switch on any of my bikes, just the key.

OP
OP
Fishermark
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I was thinking of some electrical contact cleaner - I will probably give that a try. Not sure how much spray will get down in there without taking the switch apart however. I haven't really looked at it carefully to see how involved that may be.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Usually spraying cleaner in there and operating the switch a few times cleans it up fine without having to disassemble.
Give it a try.

Arknt

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
a) use only solvents approved/kind to plastics...
b) if you're parking outside (and/or a strong believer in pressure washers) service those switch-pods annually...

OP
OP
Fishermark
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Took it loose and sprayed it good. Seems to work fine. Funny - when I was messing with the throttle cables I noticed (for the first time really) that they are a little tight when I turn the handlebars all the way to the right. I have my handlebar raised an inch or two - I replaced the clutch cable last year with a transalp longer cable. Looks like I may look into doing the same with the throttle cables one day soon. I will start another thread for that however. :)

Top Bottom