Proper behavior of pannier lock mechanism?

Bike
2010 NT700V
I just figured out my pannier lids aren't actually locking. They latch and release fine, but it doesn't matter what position the lock is in. I pulled the seat and turned the lock through it's movement, with an inspection mirror I saw the pull cable grab on the end of the lock turn 90 degrees, and cable end attached but not doing much of anything. I pulled the cable coupler apart in the back by the brake light where the cable from the key joins into two cables going to the latches. All the cable ends are intact, nothing is broken.

From messing about with the mechanism, it appears that the two sliding brackets the pull cables go to need to be pulled inward so the plastic latches with red tape are free to move but don't actually engage with the latch innards. Hence, it would be "locked" It isn't until the sliding brackets move outward to engage with the plastic latch that the lids can then open. These sliding brackets have springs attached to pull them outward.

Am I correct that the sliding brackets need to be pulled inward for the lids to be locked?

I'm thinking maybe the cable end at the key isn't currently routed correctly to the plastic grab on the lock. If I reach in and grab the cable with my fingers, I can pull it more and get the sliding brackets to move

OP
OP
Bike
2010 NT700V
Looks like the cable was routed incorrectly to the lock knuckle (previous owner, dealership?) I pulled the left grab rail and removed the cable end, and routed the cable around the other side of lock knuckle. It now pulls the sliding brackets inwards when the lock is vertical and key removed, leaving the latches disengaged. Turning lock clockwise horizontal allows the cable to relax and the springs pull the brackets outwards engaging the latches.

The cable at the lock knuckle now has a straight shot out of the sheathing as it wraps and the knuckle. As it was previous it was bending around in a S shape not doing much anything.

Top Bottom