Proper Break In

johnha

Well this will be my first non-intro post. I brought home my new 2010 ABS version on Easter weekend and itched to ride it but couldn't.

So I took it on a proper break in trip over this past weekend, which I extended. Skipped on down the Blue Ridge Parkway, then over to Tellico Plains, TN to a fine motorcycle establishment known as Hunts Lodge to visit with some V4 friends.

Did my 600 mile break-in oil change Friday morning in a hotel parking lot in NC before continuing my trip. Obligatory Deals Gap photo:

http://tinyurl.com/3ookppy

in an album of other boring pics from the trip. 900 mile sprint home to Lansdale on Sunday and 2,100 for the proper break in. I like this bike, but it hasn't told me its name yet...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Good job!
I just finished breaking mine in as well--am 150 miles over. I have 750mi on the clock. Did mine a little differently. When I was a Norton Dealer, Norton recommended riding the bike gingerly for 50mi and then changing the oil and filter. When the bike hits 350mi, change the oil and filter and ride it like you stole it. I will take it in for the 600mi service with 800mi. I will do my 0wn oil change at home after the service. At that point I will change to Bel-Ray Full Synthetic. I also use K&N oil filters (KN-204) They cost about $15 and are better than Honda filters. The beauty of the KN is that all you need to remove it is a 17mm box wrench. That 17mm "nut" is also drilled for safety wiring (required for racing) I also drilled the oil plug and safety wire it as well. After this service all my oil and filter changes will be every 5000mi. I did this with my Ninja and the oil came out clear at every 5000 mile interval. It also shifted a lot better. The Honda VFR1200F uses that routine--at least my friend who racess a Honda literbike recommended I do so. It may cost more, but the engine will stay pristine.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Great pics. Nice way to break it in. The BRP is always a good ride. I've not been to the dragon, but will by Fall.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
John,

Thanks for the pix! I've only done the BRP once and it was on a big heavy bike (the Concours). I'm betting that the NT is a better bike for that kind of ride.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Nice pictures, nice bike...and give her time.

Last edited:
I suspect that K&N knows better than this but a word of caution that was posted on the old web site. Some filters (which ones I don't know) that can fit the NT are slightly longer than the Honda OEM. This is supposed to be a problem. The spacing between the filter and the center stand when lowered is reported to be very close and the center stand can hit a filter that is too long with unfortunate results as I recall. Anyone with that info might repost it.

Lorien

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
David on this board made those videos, Perhaps we can impose on him to link them here in the maint section...

OP
OP

johnha

Thank you all for your kind words. I try to ride down the BRP every year, once in a while I get lucky and do it twice!

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Thanks for sharing. I broke my bike in with an 1800 mi trip from Arkansas(where we picked up the bike) back home to NY, with an oil change in Chatanooga! This bike can take it. It's a Honda!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I suspect that K&N knows better than this but a word of caution that was posted on the old web site. Some filters (which ones I don't know) that can fit the NT are slightly longer than the Honda OEM. This is supposed to be a problem. The spacing between the filter and the center stand when lowered is reported to be very close and the center stand can hit a filter that is too long with unfortunate results as I recall. Anyone with that info might repost it.

Lorien
Lorien, I saw that post and checked out the length of the filter. Mac checked it out as well when we were in Kittery. There is plenty of clearance for the centerstand. I have done two oil changes using the K&N. I like the fact that it can be removed or tightened with a 17mm box wrench.

Top Bottom