[Review] Protect the Black Plastic- Macquires Leather Cleaner

Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
So, I ride to work every day no matter what the weather.
Rain, Cold, Hot, Sun, Sun, Sun, Sun, Sun, Sun, Sun, Sun ...

Anyway - I began having a real problem with the black plastic fading.
Now I am ok with a dirty bike (no big deal), but something really ticks me wrong when the black fades (not sure why). First time I tried using "back to black" which is a paint based wax used for car bumpers, but that dissolves almost immediately in the sun ...

Then I tried Armor All ... BIG MISTAKE ... because it attracts dust (not anti-static)
Then I found out about Plexis spray on cleaner (which is like a soft wax polish and is AWESOME for the tupperware) ... but no dice on the black stuff

I found a really interesting thing that has worked really well for the past 6 mos. (only had to do it 2 times).
I was sopping my Corbin seat in Either Macquires Leather Cleaner, or Armor All Leather Seat Cleaner, and a little dripped onto one of the side flimsy black plastic thingys ... and I noticed how that grayish black plastic just SOAKED up the oily Leather cleaner .... and turned BLACK and SHINEY

Next thing you know, I sopped my whole bike in the stuff (only the black parts including my Honda under cowl and the radiator, etc.)

Some of the more frustrated pieces literally drank the stuff up so I did it again (just using a paper towel or two)
This has actually turned out to work really well for me, and now I clean my bike like once every 3 months (2 times) with Macquires Leather cleaner and Plexis for the tupperware ... No water involved.

:D

tawilke46

I use this Natural Shine Protectant by Meguiars. So far it has worked really well.
Will be able to tell how well it works in the Louisiana heat and humidity this summer.

What it looks like on the black plastic.

Nicole

McGuire's makes a spray on cleaner that I love. Thanks for the information!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have tried all of this stuff and its not helping. I might have to go to the paint route or just live with it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
To Warren....did the plastic fade before u ever shined it?
That could be the reason nothing is working. Krylon satin
black should work for u as far as an inexpensive solution for you
I have been using various plastic protection products on the plastic parts from day one but they are gradually turing grey anyway. In particular the lower back fender and the two removable side pieces.

clutchcargo

Crappy Honda recycled rubbish bags. My plastic is actually crumbling after 3 1/2 years. I have priced up replacement plastics ready for the inevitable. If I could sell my bike for what it owes me, I would go back to a Suzuki.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have been using various plastic protection products on the plastic parts from day one but they are gradually turing grey anyway. In particular the lower back fender and the two removable side pieces.
I tried various products too. I had high hopes for a 3m protector but it eventually wore off too. The only solution to prevent it if you live in high sun area is to literally paint them so the UV rays can't get to the plastic. A couple on here used normal paint. I tried Plastidip and it has worked great. Be sure to look at the before and after pics in this post:
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?7176-Plasti-Dip-(black-faded-plastics)&highlight=plastidip

The black plastic pieces still look like that after all these months. Meaning the plastidip is not fading.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I read your write up on the plastic dip and I may go that route. I have a can of the Krylon paint on the shelf but based on your experience the plastidip looks like a good way to go. I was originally concerned about how durable it would be but apparently that has not been a problem for you.

OP
OP
pcrimm
Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
Update: I finally gave in on the back fender and the front black cowl below the headlight
Purchased replacement parts from honda and will start from day 1 using the Macguires protectant
(Unfortunately I started too late ... I started protecting the plastic after owning the bike for 2 years)
Now that I have spares I'm going to try the "Paint" approach without fear of messing up :rolleyes1:

image.jpg

Additives for UV protecting plastics have been known for decades. UV resistant plastics like PVDF are also well known, and have the further advantage of extreme strength and toughness. Honda knows this, yet apparently doesn't spend the extra few cents to use them. It's apparently much better for their bottom line to let the tupperware degrade as an "incentive" for the owner to buy a nice new and temporarily shiny replacement.

My answer to Honda is to simply ignore the plastic and blissfully park their now ugly-looking creation where the public can see their workmanship and consider this "feature" when considering a new bike.

The plastic Honda chose for our tupperware is very clearly a manufacturing defect. It is weak, cracks easily, and quickly degrades in sunlight. All of these characteristics could have been easily prevented.

Top Bottom