Query on Flash 2 Pass switch behavior

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Dear All, I am thinking of creating a flash to pass (f2p) switch for the US NT700 using OTC components and to be plug and play. I have rudimentary circuit design in my mind, but I want to know / validate what is the behavior of the High Beam in the following scenarios:

1)High beam off. The f2p is pressed, the high beam comes on and stays on till the f2p switch is kept pressed.
Q) I am assuming that the f2p switch to be fully pressed to switch on the high beam.

2) High Beam is on, what happens now.
Option 1: Nothing happens, High beam remain off
Option2: High bean switches off and then as the f2p switch is fully depressed high beam switches on again. Release f2p and high bean turns off and then turns on again.
i.e. pressing f2p causes the high beam to blink

People across the pond who have the f2p switch, request you to please review and confirm / validate the above scenarios.

TIA

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
On my Versys pushing FTP would turn hi beam on if it is not already on. If it is already on switch would do nothing.

The idea of FTP would be to let traffic know of your presence/moves. If you are in traffic the hi beam should normally be off.

Arknt

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
On my Versys pushing FTP would turn hi beam on if it is not already on. If it is already on switch would do nothing.

The idea of FTP would be to let traffic know of your presence/moves. If you are in traffic the hi beam should normally be off.

Arknt
Thanks, this Makes sense.

But in NJ, many people drive at slow speed on the left most lane on a highway in the night... so that was the reason on scenario 2 Option 2...

AND yes, you did give me an idea :)

I am now thinking of wiring my Dual color fog Light with the f2p switch .. that should take care of Scenario 2 option 2...

I will post my experience/experiment in next few weeks....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks, this Makes sense.

But in NJ, many people drive at slow speed on the left most lane on a highway in the night... so that was the reason on scenario 2 Option 2...

AND yes, you did give me an idea :)

I am now thinking of wiring my Dual color fog Light with the f2p switch .. that should take care of Scenario 2 option 2...

I will post my experience/experiment in next few weeks....
Dealing with Left lane loungers...those that go at or under the speed limit in the left lane, or just hang there, which is illeagle in parts of WA state, like rural interstate, can be tricky. We have lived in an age of road rage for decades. It is very common here in Spokane. I retired from the State patrol here as a radio tech. I hear the stories. I asked my Capt. what do I do if someone is tail gaiting me and I dont want him or her there? He said (20 years ago) what ever you do, dont flash your brake lights at him. That is libal to draw aggression up to and including bullets. You dont know if that person is upset, on drugs, or mentally ill in general. He told me to gradually slow down...if the person still refuses to pass you, then pull off somewhere where there are people and see if they follow you.

Flash to pass is common in Europe, if I have been told correctly. Here, they may just jam on the brakes and try and hit you......the rubes here see you as an agressive self centered clown they would love to send into the ditch.

Remember, if you were to pull behind a left lane lounger and flash your lights and he hits the brakes and you hit him, its YOUR fault in court. Welcome to America.

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
you are absolutely right Chris.

That's why I always maintain a 3-4 car length gap, even though it encourages many to cut me off and enter my safety gap, I then further fall back.

I feel that there is enough stress in life that I don't want more of it on the road, so take a deep breadth and drive on.

Top Bottom