Race Tech Fork Kits

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I spoke to a rep. for Race Tech. at the Killington Classic. He says that the kit for the NT is the same as the one for the ST-1100. Said that his wife has an NT and that the kit made a huge difference in the way the bike handled. I have always felt that the forks on the NT are a bit on the "mushy" side and could use considerable stiffening.

Has anyone on this forum had experience with that product? It would be a fairly pricey modification if done by Race Tech. The rep said it can be DIY, requiring no special tools, but requiring following the instructions to the letter.

AzzA

No personal experience but I do know of at least one other person who has had good results using the Race Tech gear on a bike that had a soft front end, and I know of another owner (same bike model) that installed another re-valving product also with good results... so there are merits to the concept and kit.

I've not installed emulators but I have replaced springs, seals, and fork oil on another bike... it's not that difficult a job if you have a secure/safe way to raise the front of the bike while you work on it. You're halfway there with the NT's centre-stand, some ratchet straps and bolts in the floor would do it... but don't leave anything to chance; a falling bike will crush skull and bones, never mind the lovely paintwork.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I don't know what is in the kit you mention but I think one of our members mentioned that he took the Race Tech emulators out of his Pacific Coast and put them in his NT. I think it was Dirtflyer that mentioned it.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, guilty as charged. As a matter of fact, I have the Race Tech Cartridge Emulators plus a set of modified damper rods and will sell everything for $75, you pay the UPS. The original damper rods have to be modified to work with the Race Tech valves as they are sometimes called. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I spoke to a rep. for Race Tech. at the Killington Classic.
Sailariel,
Did you talk any about the rear shock and any upgrades they may have worked on for it? More than likely the cost would discourage me but still interested.

Brad

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I used to think I would be willing to upgrade a bit. But, after several trips and a ton of commuting, and comparing back-to-back with the Guzzi, I will leave my suspension as is. It is very comfy for the 95% of the riding I do. The other 5% I will do on the Guzzi since it's suspension is a bit stiffer and more suitable to harder riding in the twisties.

Actually, I have to admit that I really don't do the 1% riding anymore. I've had one too many scary moments on a tight turn and something unsuspected shows up. Last time it was a patch of oil in a hairpin turn. There was a guardrail, but, the drop past the rail was a good 500ft almost straight down! I had NEVER seen any oil on that road in the 50 or so times I have ridden it. Gravel, sand, leaves, and even ice, but, never oil.

So, while I still like the twisties, I don't come close to the limits of the bike anymore.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have the Race Tech Cartridge Emulators plus a set of modified damper rods
Were they designed to work with the ST-1100, the Pacific Coast, or were they custom? Do you have model #'s?

When I spoke with Race Tech, their suggestion was to send my forks and they would modify and test them. They also said they could not give a price until they had done the work. I guess I sounded rich or desperate. I am interested in improving the forks, but not with out a reasonable estimate of the final cost.

Ken

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Ken,

These are their standard valves for PC800 and they are adjustable if you want to dink around. The PC (620 lb) and NT (570 lb) are fairly close in weight but the ST1100 is much heavier.

The adjustment on the valve is done via an allen bolt that tightens or loosens tension on a coil spring. I've never messed with the setting on either my PC800 or NT700V and made changes in feel via oil level and spring preload.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Dirtflier can you share with us how you have your NT set up now and why? Thanks.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
made changes in feel via oil level and spring preload.
My complaint is with small but abrupt bumps--tar snakes, rough joints in concrete roads, washboard dirt--rather than larger, less abrupt bumps. It is as if the forks become solid (little if any travel) with the smaller bumps, and there is a serious amount of force transmitted through the handle bars. I don't know for sure, but I believe that there may be stiction at work, since once the forks are compressing, they work fairly well. Does this sound like your experience, and do you think the Racr Tech kit would help?

I don't come close to the limits of the bike anymore.
I'm not looking to make a road racer from my Honda, but I would like a less harsh, more plush and controlled response to road conditions common to Louisiana.

Ken

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Ken,

"Feeling" is very subjective so it's difficult to be positive about how a change will effect one person - similar to me telling you which shoes to buy. The original fork dampers utilize 4 rather small holes to allow oil to move from the bottom to the top of the fork when the wheel goes over a bump. To fit the Race Tech valves they recommend those holes be greatly enlarged plus 2 additional holes are drilled. Damping is then controlled by a spring loaded valve within the Race Tech units.

Tosh

ps. if you contact me at my normal E-mail <ttk@woh.rr.com> I can get your E-mail address then will send you all the Race Tech instructions. You'll have to decide for yourself if the Race Tech valves will help you.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I did ask the Race Tech rep about the rear shock. He said that the mod would be expensive and the improvement would only be slight---not worth the expense.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Is what Race-Tech is selling similar to "cartridge emulators?" I've got a friend who won a set of those plus an aftermarket shock for his C-10 Concours about ten years ago and he says that they transformed the bike.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Yes, they call them gold valve cartridge emulators. I installed a set in my XS650. They worked well and were a definite improvement on a 1977 motorcycle.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The damper rod fork on the NT is not much different than the fork on a 1977 XS650 Yamaha. The damper rod has holes in it to allow oil to move upwards with wheel movement. The size of the holes and their locations are fixed so it sometimes works OK and sometimes not.

Unlike a modern fork it lacks a "speed or travel sensitive" valve which can open less or more depending on the speed of the wheel moving up. Only the cartridge forks with their spring washers have this capability but the Gold Valve addition to a damper rod fork comes close.

Sailariel - when you talked to the Race Tech guy, did you ask about modifying the standard rear shock or buying a completely new shock? For the former I'd say he was correct but not sure about the latter.

Top Bottom