Raidiator coolent hoses

Is it possible to replace the hoses on the coolant system with non Honda hoses? Something from an auto parts store? Has anyone done this?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The auto parts store will have bulk hose in a variety of sizes that will work for straight sections. I'm not aware of any aftermarket sources for molded coolant hoses. What you can try is to take the old hose off the bike and take it to an auto parts store and see if they will let you try to match something up. Keep in mind that the hoses on motorcycles are considerably smaller in diameter than their automotive equivalent so you will not have a huge selection to choose from. Also, when asking the store to help you match something up, be aware that this can be extremely time consuming and if they are very busy they may not have to time to spend with you. If they will let you look thru their hose inventory by yourself, that is great but be mindful that every hose has a definete stocking location ususally in numeric order. If you get a hose down to look at it, be sure to replace it EXACTLY where you found it if it will not work for you. It is a matter of courtesy to the merchant. Finally, todays hoses last a very long time and in the grand scheme of things aren't that terribly expensive when you consider the amount of time you will spend rooting through a stores inventory to find something that will fit.

Mike

Reactions: ett

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Why don't you order from a discount motorcycle website?? I use partzilla.com. saves you time from trying to match up sizes. They won't kink go right back in place, there is minimum space and need to be molded original.

I have 2 NT, first one had 201,111 miles in 6 yrs and 10 months, never put a hose on it......current one is still a 2010, with 103,000 miles, still no need of hoses. You can just save yourself some money and NOT buy any. And there is 1 or 2 very short ones on top of engine. This mileage and same start years to show you they don't really detiorate

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree with Woodaddict on buying the Honda OEM hoses from Partzilla. Why try and save a few bucks on generic hoses from an auto parts store when the real thing is available?

Just wondering why you want/need to replace them? Honda must use very good quality hoses as I have NEVER heard of one that needed replaced unless damaged in an accident or similar situation and I've been riding since 1964. My old GoldWing with over 140,000 miles on it still has original hoses that seem flexible and in good shape.....and it is over 30 years old. That is not unusual at all.

Cliff

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Just wondering why you want/need to replace them?

Cliff
Me as well, the Honda blue Type 2 coolant that's used in the NT is silicate free, the service interval on this type of coolant is very long, and doesn't break down the rubber in the hoses like older style coolants such as the green stuff from years past, or GM's notorious gasket-dissolving Dexcool.

If you're feeling generous you could always do a drain and fill, mainly for the feel-good factor, you'll only need one gallon of the Type 2, available at any Honda auto dealer, and you won't even use the whole gallon. I do recommend you replace the radiator cap if you change coolant, the pressure spring in the cap does get weak with heat and age, part available from Partzilla.com

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Me as well, the Honda blue Type 2 coolant that's used in the NT is silicate free, the service interval on this type of coolant is very long, and doesn't break down the rubber in the hoses like older style coolants such as the green stuff from years past, or GM's notorious gasket-dissolving Dexcool.

If you're feeling generous you could always do a drain and fill, mainly for the feel-good factor, you'll only need one gallon of the Type 2, available at any Honda auto dealer, and you won't even use the whole gallon. I do recommend you replace the radiator cap if you change coolant, the pressure spring in the cap does get weak with heat and age, part available from Partzilla.com
If you want to save a couple of bucks, Valvoline/Zerex is the OE vendor for Honda's blue coolant. Zerex Asian Blue is the same stuff already pre-diluted 50-50. The new rad cap is a good idea.

Mike

Top Bottom