Rain Fly question

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Here's one for the experienced campers

I have an REI Half Dome 4 I bought a few years back. It's a great tent. My wife and I are going camping next week so I got it out to refresh my memory on setup. It has been packed up for at least three years since my last outing. The rain fly felt especially sticky on the inside but seemed to become less sticky after being set up for a couple of days.
However, at tear down I noticed some of the inside of the fly had perished and flaked off, especially at the peak of the front and rear vestibules. So my whip smart intellect told me that whatever water resistant properties the fly has are on the underside of the fly....Correct so far???

Anyway, that's not my real question. My question is this: would an app of Scotchguard on the outside (once we reach the campground) be a good idea? If its OK to do and if it would work I could apply the SG a few hrs before bedtime and I don't think it would hurt anything

To recap
A: Do you think an app of SG on the outside would work
B: Would the smell (if any) offend if I do it at the campground or should I do it now?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I don't know. But I do know I had a tent that developed a sticky surface on the rain fly and I ended up just replacing the whole tent. Since my rain fly was rolled up together with the rest of the tent the sticky substance was on all surfaces that had contact. Can't remember the brand, but I do know the new tent was much better and hasn't developed the sticky surface.

You might find some sort of REI consumer support group forum with information. You could just try some Scotchguard. Or you can hope it doesn't rain.

I'm thinking of replacing my Mountain Hardware tent now. Some of the stitching looks "pulled" and I'm not sure I trust the zippers any more. The tent has served me will for at least 6 - 8 years and I'd rather replace it too early than too late. I'm holding off until I can see if the coming year is going to present any camping opportunities or if we are on indefinite "stay home" status.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
This tent and rain fly is 6 years old and has been deployed less than 10 nights total. The tent doesn't have any sticky on it. I stow components in the same duffel but separately in the order i need them and tear down

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Clay, I think my sticky rain fly was due to some chemical decomposition or reaction. It was basically unusable. I think most of the low-end tents have some sort of "polyxxxxxxene" (a plastic type of material) for waterproofing. Others are treated with DWC. Those can be re-freshed by running them in the dryer at low heat for a while or re-spraying. I think the answer to your question depends on what you have to start with (which is what you said in your first post). Perhaps you can buy just the rain fly from REI.

I've spent more than enough nights in a wet tent to persuade me to buy a good tent. And that doesn't even include sleeping under a poncho/shelter-half in Viet Nam for a few months.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clay, I'd give the Scotch-Guard a try. It's not that offensive an order, from what I recall. If you're sure you're going to have a few hours between application and when you try to go to sleep, I'd wait till I get to the campground.

BTW, I was ready to sell my Half-Dome 4 to Jim Moore and can't find it. I don't remember selling it to anyone or giving it away, even though I've known since the winter of '16 that I wasn't going to be camping anymore after knee replacement # 6. My wife swears she didn't do anything with it, but I'm not so sure...

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Clay, I'd give the Scotch-Guard a try. It's not that offensive an order, from what I recall. If you're sure you're going to have a few hours between application and when you try to go to sleep, I'd wait till I get to the campground.

BTW, I was ready to sell my Half-Dome 4 to Jim Moore and can't find it. I don't remember selling it to anyone or giving it away, even though I've known since the winter of '16 that I wasn't going to be camping anymore after knee replacement # 6. My wife swears she didn't do anything with it, but I'm not so sure...
It's probably setup at some campground with a cell phone in it.. :ROFLMAO:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I was ready to sell my Half-Dome 4 to Jim Moore and can't find it. I don't remember selling it to anyone or giving it away, even though I've known since the winter of '16 that I wasn't going to be camping anymore after knee replacement # 6. My wife swears she didn't do anything with it, but I'm not so sure...
now I KNOW you're just like the rest of us!

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Seeing as how REI no longer sells that tent, I wonder how hard it would be to replace that fly?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If you are going to use Scotch-Guard get the version that's for water proofing not the one for fabric protection. It's in the green not red can.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It's probably setup at some campground with a cell phone in it.. :ROFLMAO:
LOL! It may well be -- but if it is, it's her cell phone in it, not mine. She hates cell phones and goes to incredible lengths not to use them.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Well, why not get a new tent of the pop up kind? Good for car, not easy to transport on motorbike.

I have this Coleman 2 person pop up tent and it folds up into a 3 feet disk and is set up and taken down in less than 30 seconds. It stood up light drizzle easily.

Coleman 2-Person Pop-Up Tent Coleman https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00FGPY9CE/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_71-GEb2P7G7NY via @amazon

bigger version: Coleman 4-Person Pop-Up Tent Coleman https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00HN91YHY/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_12-GEb671HDTP via @amazon

1585704606303.png

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
I looked at a "pop-up" tent but could not figure out haw to carry it on the bike without it being a huge wind drag.

Macka
i know, it turns into a 3 feet diameter round disk. Thats why I mentioned good for car camping ...

There is another type I have been exploring, but not tried yet.. folds up similar to traditional tent, but looks easy to setup and pull down.

MOON LENCE Instant Pop Up Tent Family Camping Tent 4-5 Person Portable Tent A... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0827J5ZNF/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_qOhHEbAH8BMCA via @amazon

Top Bottom