Rattle on right side of motor area when cold

Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Hi, Hope someone can help me out. I just had my first service about a week ago (had 3000 miles on it dealer demo). The noise started (day after service) as a small rattle kinda like plastic but as the days have progressed it has been louder almost metallic, chuckle sounding but not quite. Now it only does this when stone cold and if you shut it off cold and restart it the noise isn't there. I've tried to find loose plastic vibrating against metal but to no avail. No sound when warm sounds like an NT. Going crazy or should it go back to the servicing dealer? Has anyone else encountered this issue? Thanks in advance, Kevin

OP
OP
Bike
2011 Black nt700va
I forgot to add that I had heated grips installed at the same time.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
They didn't tell you that the heated grips cause a rattle? :)

OP
OP
Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Well Phil, I guess I received a new farkle courtesy of the servicing dealer, my own custom rattle for no charge!!:wink: Well seriously. I was ambitious enough to inspect closer after work last night and found a bunch of plastic shielding in the inner fairing area not reinstalled correctly, fixed that. The proof is in the pudding this morning on start up. Keep you posted after work tonight(I hope it's a happy post).

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Betcha' got it fixed, Kevin. Dealer techs aren't much better at gettting all the plastic back in place right than I am. I redid some of what my wrench did the first couple of times he worked on the bike. He's gotten better. I haven't. :)

OP
OP
Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Well, it still makes the noise but only stone cold. I guess i'll just ignore it for now being no one else has ever had this issue(no other nt's in the area to listen to when cold). I do have a 3year 36k warranty so if the motor blows up guess i'm covered! Maybe I just now noticed it as I stand on the left side to get on and usually am putting my earplugs in.Take out for rides and it runs great couldn't ask for a better bike. Keep you posted if this gets worse or goes away. Kevin

Bike
2010 Red NT700
sometimes a I hear a little slapping that I cant find, but only when taking off
cold
Sounds like plastic, but it only happens when you are just taking off and engine is chugging the hardest right as you engage the clutch
After a few feet it goes away
On my previous bike, it was the license plate slapping the mud guard at low revs

Deleted member 540

At certain RPM's my dashboard rattles. Took me awhile to figure it out and now a rubber shim stopped it.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Hi Kevin, You are not saying which dealer you bought fromand are having doing your work done by. Taylor hond here in woodburn is the only one I deal with , my bike has beenn there for three complete services plus all of teh farkles instalations , , OEM heated grips Throttle miester Heli riser Driving lights, Trunk install etc, no problems with any of the work, also no free rattle farkles. Lee and Marty the two primary techs and Dale the service manager are all quite familier with the NT.

Eldon

OP
OP
Bike
2011 Black nt700va
Eldon, I took mine to Beaverton Honda/Yamaha service as thats where my service deal as part of the sale is at. They did everything as requested but not sure how many NT's they've had thru the shop. Took it from Sandy to Timberline Lodge and back this morning no issues, runs great. Can only duplicate this noise in am cold start after that no noise at all. Maybe i'm just going nuts and over analyzing this noise, we'll see if it gets worse the colder it gets around here. Keep ya all posted. Thanks for listening. Kevin

Top Bottom