Reactivated Forum membership

Bike
2011 Black NT700
This is my first posting. Phil will recognize me. Tom Mulvany from Golden. I have the next to the lowest mileage 2011 NT on the forum. 1734 miles. Bought the bike in AZ three weeks ago and have ridden 450 miles in the nice 70+ degree riding weather. Had to put a new set of Metzler Roadtec 01 SE tires on because of the 12 year old tires that came on the bike.

The bike is running smoother after several tanks of fuel and a dose of Heet injector cleaner and water remover. It is starting to feel a little more "broken in". Will flush the brake fluid and coolant this week. The engine oil/filter and rear diff were service recently. Will check the air cleaner soon just in case there is a big spider web in there??

Question: What is the average miles on the NT engine when it is fully "broken in"?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I never really noticed any performance or mileage improvement at any specific mileage, it performed great from the start and still does at 138,000 miles. So Tom, I would say your bike is broken in, or in your case, aged like a fine wine.

Mike

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
NT rated at 50 mpg. How fast you ride and altitude makes a difference, as well as summer vs winter. My ride back and forth to work summer ranges 54 mpg, and 50 in winter (ave 73 mph). Mountain and slower riding will can/will get 65 mpg

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Tom, welcome to (or back to) the Forum. Now all you've got to do is come back to Colorado and we can ride together.

According to what I have recorded in Fuelly, I tracked 108K miles on Dudley (NT#1) and averaged 47.1 mpg; with Horse (NT#2), I've only tracked 5.9K miles and have averaged 49.8 mpg.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
My NT, with stock windscreen, consistently gets 56 to 58 miles per gallon using calculation method. The digital unit is NOT correct on any of the NT's that I'm aware of. I have always used the calculator to determine. Now, that being said, slow roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway where I normally run 50mph in the 45, I get in the mid 60's. On Skyline Drive this past June (I hate that road, 35mph, but my son wanted to do it), I actually got 70mpg. The best I have ever gotten was in Yellowstone when doing the grand loop. I got 72mpg. Those are unusual times/speeds, but nice to know you can stretch it out if taking it easy. The worse I have gotten was 53mpg when coming back from Florida several years ago. 90mph most the way from Jacksonville to Columbia, SC just to stay with traffic. THAT WAS NUTS ! ! I Still get the same mileage as I did before and I'm sitting at about 92K miles now.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Years ago, I wanted to try Skyline Drive mainly because I'd never ridden it. I only made it partway before I turned off onto a parallel road because the 35 MPH speed limit felt like I was walking!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
While I no longer own my NT, I recall that my best fuel mileage was on the Blue Ridge Parkway @67 mpg. My worst was crossing South Dakota fully loaded in a 20+ mph headwind was 42mpg. Overall average was 54mpg.
it mostly depends on how much power you ask for and altitude.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Years ago, I wanted to try Skyline Drive mainly because I'd never ridden it. I only made it partway before I turned off onto a parallel road because the 35 MPH speed limit felt like I was walking!
[/QUOTE

My son and I enjoyed Skyline drive but we rode a tad faster than 35

Mike

Top Bottom