Rear brake dragging

Bike
2010 marroon NT700V
Had new tires and wheel bearings installed on my NT700V at an independent repair shop. Got the bike back and noticed the rear wheel no longer spun freely. Took it back, and mechanic noted the rear brake piston was corroded which I verified. He replace the pistons and brake pads. Got it back and the rear brake still drags. I'm not returning it to that mechanic yet again.

What should I be looking for to fix this myself. It's a 2010 NT700V without ABS with 34,000 miles.

Thanks in advance.
Mac

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
You might look at the caliper slider pins. The caliper has to slide smoothly on them as the pads wear.
Might also check disk is straight and true.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The wheel may not spin as freely as you might imagine. In a disc brake system, there is always a very, very slight contact between the disc and the rotor. Check to see that it rotates freely and then put the bike on the center stand and fire it up and put it in gear and let the rear wheel spin and check to see if the caliper is getting overly warm. Pull in the clutch and see how quickly the wheel spins down. If it comes to a sudden halt then there is a problem. If on the other hand it slows to a stop over several dozen revolutions, it is probably normal.

Mike

Top Bottom