Recomendation on Tank Bag

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
I tend to do ride and hike on weekends, where I need a small hiking backpack (~18+L) in size.

So I am looking for recommendation on tank-bags that can do double duty :)

Criteria:
1) 18+ L
2) convertible to Shoulder Bag
3) Strap Mounted
4) Strap Base should have cutout for Gas In Let
5) Bag should have interior organizers (good to have)
6) MOLLE webbing mounts (good to have)
7) GPS / Phone Windows (good to have)

some examples of features from diff manufactures that meet diff features, but need main features in one :)

Strap Mount with gas cap access: Givi T460B Universal Tank Fitting System (point 4)

Mosko Nomand Tank Bag: Very good but expensive and only 7L (Point 2,3,5,6)

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I use the cortech 2.0. The magnets are strong. It has a rain cover and back pack straps that tuck neatly way. I've never used it as a backpack. It also has a map holder, which is a little small. $105 on amazon2753EEB7-65F4-4FBF-AA47-5A07537700EE.jpeg

Attachments

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
I use the cortech 2.0. The magnets are strong. It has a rain cover and back pack straps that tuck neatly way. I've never used it as a backpack. It also has a map holder, which is a little small. $105 on amazon

thanks for the recomendation, looks good. Can you please post pics of the straps / backpack mode.....

also, is it expandable?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have the Cortech Dryver with the easy on/off locking ring setup. I don't think it's made anymore but Givi has several models with the same locking ring setup. The bag will come off in about two seconds. I don't know if there is a backpack version though. The locking ring setup makes it easy to do a fuel fill with no straps to fool with plus the locking ring mechanism holds the bag about an inch over the tank so there is no danger of scratching the paint.

Mike

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
thanks for the recomendation, looks good. Can you please post pics of the straps / backpack mode.....

also, is it expandable?
Here are some additional photos of the rain cover and deployed back pack straps.. This bag is not expandable.

Attachments

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Here are some additional photos of the rain cover and deployed back pack straps.. This bag is not expandable.

Thanks Jim. I was able to check this bag out at a local dealer.. it is good, but a tad small for my needs. Trying to get a look at its big bro :)

Mike, I had a givi ring setup bag on my NT, It was comfortable , but did not meet my needs of shoulder bag.... so just sold it off along with the adapter kit...

Note: when I removed the ring, I did not have the orignal tank lid bolts, so paid $13 to get 3 Honda OEM bolts...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I saved my old bolts.....somewhere.....I think....

:unsure:

Mike

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
irony is , post picking up the order, i found the whole lid unit for sale for $19 (hardware included) :D

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Looking for : Cortech SUPER 2.0 18L Tank Bag with Magnetic Mount, if any one has and wants to sell , PM Me.

edit: update

Bought the bask in Dec and took it out for a spin on the BMW today. Totally worth it.

I needed to refuel, just pulled it off , fueled up and put it back. It did not move during the ride at all.

Any one looking for a tank bag, I would recommend it.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I recently installed the SW-Motech Quick Lock Tank Ring, pn TRT.00.640.10600.B and Quick Lock EVO City Tank Bag pn BC.TRS.00.104.20002. It is definitely easy on/off and doesn't interfere with the bars either full right or left. Nice bag for small items, gloves, water, maps etc.

1628553505175.jpeg

1628553409137.jpeg

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I use the cortech 2.0. The magnets are strong. It has a rain cover and back pack straps that tuck neatly way. I've never used it as a backpack. It also has a map holder, which is a little small. $105 on amazon2753EEB7-65F4-4FBF-AA47-5A07537700EE.jpeg
:plus1: I had this same tank bag when I had my ST1300 many years ago. I worked just fine and meet all my needs. When I had only my NC700X and Zero SR, I no longer needed a magnetic bag as both bikes had plastic body parts in the areas where the bag would have been placed. I kept it in the top case and it was a bit too big for that. I dumped it several years ago for a small gym bag for all my other riding gear needed in the mornings and then the afternoon gear.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I recently installed the SW-Motech Quick Lock Tank Ring, pn TRT.00.640.10600.B and Quick Lock EVO City Tank Bag pn BC.TRS.00.104.20002. It is definitely easy on/off and doesn't interfere with the bars either full right or left. Nice bag for small items, gloves, water, maps etc.

1628553505175.jpeg

1628553409137.jpeg
I have one, too and the only negative thing about it is that the detent that holds the bag on the ring has a metal cable that connects to the lanyard you pull to disconnect the tank and that cable gouged my tank. I put clear packing tape on the tank and that stopped that.

But SW-MOTECH came out with a new version of the City bag, the PRO City Tank Bag (https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/luggage/tank-bags-accessories/tank-bags/sw-motech-pro-city-tank-bag-for-quick-lock-pro-tank-rings-11-14l/) and I bought one of those.

I'll add a picture of it on the bike later tonight or tomorrow.

The nylon strap lanyard does not mark the tank. It's a more rigid bag than the EVO City Tank Bag (which I like) but I had to rotate my Heli-Bar mounted handlebars forward just a little bit to get clearance so the bag wasn't honking my horn, but that hasn't messed up my ergos any. The only thing I don't like about this bag is that the map holder is too narrow to hold maps (particularly the laminated Rand McNally maps I like so much) so that they properly oriented.

All in all, I think it's an improvement. When I took it off the bike after I got back from Spearfish, I was really upset because it looked like the bag had gouged a hole through the paint on the tank. But then when I finally got around to washing the bike, that gouge went away. ?!!?? I finally remembered that I'd spilled water from my Camel Bag water bag into the bag when I was leaving Casper for Spearfish. I always carry a ziplock bag with peppermints and lemon drops in the tank bag and I'd been carrying this ziplock for at 2-3 years. It had a hole in one corner and the spilled water dissolved my candy and, leaked through the tank bag and dried on top of the tank. So, my gouge washed away!

I'll sell my EVO tank bag and the lock rings to anyone who's interested. Make me an offer! :)

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Looking for : Cortech SUPER 2.0 18L Tank Bag with Magnetic Mount, if any one has and wants to sell , PM Me.

edit: update

Bought the bask in Dec and took it out for a spin on the BMW today. Totally worth it.

I needed to refuel, just pulled it off , fueled up and put it back. It did not move during the ride at all.

Any one looking for a tank bag, I would recommend it.
I have been using my bag for last ~2 years, and it has been through 2 BDR rides, several other ides and has been very reliable... :biggrin: :thumb:

None of the tank has any scratches, the bag has remained put once set up.. it does mess with my grip heater switch though ...

fill ups are easy, just pull it and flip over on the handle bars...

I use the bag-pack straps when my hands are full with helmet, jacket etc when I go up and down my stairs... or moving around on a mid-ride brake ...

Top Bottom