Reconnecting Spark Plug Caps

mrrodney

My first post!!!

I did an oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs job this weekend and thanks to some great tips on getting to the plugs I didn't have any issues getting the old plugs out and the new ones in. Even the right side was pretty easy with a ujoint ratchet adapter. However I could not for the life of me get my hands back in there to properly seat the caps. I just could not get enough leverage on it in that tight space to get that "click/snap" sound I needed to hear to know they were seated correctly. I had to call the wife out to get her smaller hands in there and snap them down. She was not happy!!!

Does anyone have a trick to getting the caps (especially the right side) back on securely?

I know better than to call my wife - I used my granddaughter.
There is a tool for that - which I don't have - yet.

Well that was fast.. A quick google for ".. a special tool to help connect spark plug caps..." and after a few links and a bit of reading... Bingo!!!... Spark Plug Boot Pliers. My Dad never rode bikes so I didn't know such a tool existed. It looks like they come different sizes with different head configurations so hopefully I can find a pair locally and actually put my hands on them before buying.

thanks JungleJim

The plug cap for the rear cylinder is easy to reinstall but for the front cylinder, it's quite another story because of having so many things in the way. The pliers made for removing spark plug boots may work but I wouldn't bet on it, in fact it might not even fit into the tight confines of the space.

The plug cap for the rear cylinder is easy to reinstall but for the front cylinder, it's quite another story because of having so many things in the way. The pliers made for removing spark plug boots may work but I wouldn't bet on it, in fact it might not even fit into the tight confines of the space.

Yup! That's what I was thinking as well. I've got a pair and will try 'em on the next plug change.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom