Recreation dot gov

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Many of us know the frustration of trying to find a forest service campground/site on Recreation.gov in this age of Uber campers.
You see a campground that is full and you keep checking back to see if someone canceled.
Now the Forest Service offers notificaitons if a campsite becomes available. I know not if this is ONE specific campsite or can be set up for an entire campground.
Hope to play with the alert system later.
The Alert You’ve Been Waiting For...

Camping availability alerts are now available across all campsites on Recreation.gov! If that campsite you’ve been eyeing seems to be booked up before you got the chance to snag it, the availability alerts feature provides you with updates regarding changes in campsite availability based on your trip preferences through your Recreation.gov account. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you begin setting up your alerts:​
[TD]
Icon of a check mark and a bell ringing

Setting an alert does not guarantee a reservation, the alert simply lets you know when a campsite is available that meets your criteria.​
[TD]
Icon of a profile

You must have a Recreation.gov account and be signed in to set alerts.​
[TD]
Icon of a letter being opened

Recreation.gov will send an availability notification to the email address associated with your Recreation.gov account when a campsite matching the alert becomes available.​
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Good to know. I’ve never had a problem finding a campsite in remote areas away from places like Yellowstone etc. Nonetheless campsites are becoming more crowded. And tent sites are the easiest to find - especially in those “don’t ask, don’t tell” places.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Call me an old school Luddite, but If I have to reserve a Federal / State camp site, I’m not going. Too much bureaucracy/ red tape. Drives me nuts. How am I supposed to know which campsite to choose from their crappy map? Arrgh.
However, I WILL make a reservation at a commercial campground (KOA) if needed.
I guess I should plan to camp more in the “dispersed” no fee / no amenities areas.
Rant over.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Sorry Rich, but KOA is the last place I’ll look for a campsite. I’m no expert because I’ve only stayed in 3 in the last 40 or 50 years. But
$30+tax to camp next to an RV with its generator running all night - no thanks.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Even when we had our RV, we didn't stay at KOAs

Mike

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
Stayed at a lot of KOA’s in my life time. Mostly with RV’s, a few moto tenting.

Pro’s: Clean, quiet, good restrooms & showers, well managed. Usually have a convenience store. (Most are newer and more modern than Chris’s in Spearfish).

Cons: Pricey, some located in town,

Our favorite is the KOA North of Ouray, Colorado. Beautiful scenery, creek, trees. Nice cafe in summer. Some of the best motorcycle roads anywhere nearby. Costs a lot but worth it. Still cheaper than hotels.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
Sorry Rich, but KOA is the last place I’ll look for a campsite. I’m no expert because I’ve only stayed in 3 in the last 40 or 50 years. But
$30+tax to camp next to an RV with its generator running all night - no thanks.
Jim, KOA’s always prohibit generators. And, they have mandatory quiet after 10 pm. Only place I’ve experienced generators all night has been state / fed campgrounds with no hookups.
However, 30 bucks won’t even get you a tent site these inflationary times. I recently spent $60 for RV full hook up.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
KOAs = Planes, Trains or Automobiles...

Most are located near an Airport or Military base, Active train track route or major highway... there are a few exceptions like the one in Moab, UT or Duboi, WY. But some are located near all-light lumber yards lol

The one in Amarillo is interesting, it's near all 3, had an Osprey hover in an open field near that one one early morning... but that was cool.

I avoid them due to cost and noise but you do know you'll get a good shower and ear plugs are a must sometimes.

There are some ok free places to camp.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Just pitch your tent any old place in the Denver area, seems like everybody else does. You don't even have to go stealth. But not right now as it is -4 degrees in Aurora this morning.

Top Bottom