Redesigned R1200RT For 2014

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
As expected BMW moved the new GS motor in to the RT....and made it look a bit nicer in the process. See Here for the full article.

tawilke46

Re: Redesigned R1200RT For 2013

A nice looking mount no doubt. Would not mind having one but..... I would venture the MSRP is getting very close to the GT and GTL. Expensive and way complicated with a bewildering array of costly options. Gets a little confusing.
At Baton Rouge BMW, the previous RT was ringing in at over 20k$.
Having said that, I bet it rides and handles fantastic.
I would love to ride one, just could not afford to buy or maintain it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX

It is a sweet looking motorcycle. Fortunately the NT fits my needs perfectly.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

If I had more money (enough to be able to fix major breakdowns with no stress), I'd love to have an RT. The day I realized for sure that what I really wanted in a bike was what the sport-touring genre offered was one where I was riding from Montrose home via Crawford and CO-92, Gunnison, Monarch Pass, Salida, and Colorado Springs. I passed a couple waiting to pull out onto US-50 in Salida who were riding matching mint-green '95 R1100RTs. They passed me right away, but kept stopping at different things along the way. We played hopscotch all the way to the Springs. Seems like they passed me about 10-15 times.

I fell in love with those bikes. But then I found out what they cost. Since I was going through a divorce, they were way over my budget. I got my 1st '99 Kawasaki Concours a few months later and have been a sport-touring guy ever since.

There's nothing that fits me better than the BMW RTs, though.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
What model year did the final drive issues start appearing? As in how far back do you need to go model wise to avoid that issue? I have a neighbor who is going to sell a 2001RT that is very tempting..... When I had my 96 R1100R I never heard of those problems.

While the RT is out of my reach I am seriously looking at the F800GT. Its lighter then the NT and has a lower CG because the fuel tank is under the seat. This would help me with my SAD issue. I've been looking on the F800 forum and other then some minor issues they like the bike. The biggest obstacle is the price. With risers and the bags the bike is around 15K.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I sat on an F800GT and my impression was that it was more cramped as far as leg-room and that I had to lean farther forward than on the NT. I also don't think it comes close to the NT as far as weather protection goes. The windscreen is very small and low and not easily adjustable (if it adjusts at all -- I don't remember).

I don't remember when the final drive issues started, but I think it was the mid-2000s, maybe when the R1200RT came out. In '03, when went to the IB Rally finish in Missoula, several BMWs had not finished but I think the big issue then was alternator belts.

Have you been able to sit on one, Barry? I seem to recall that the knee angle and leg room has been called "cramped" in something I read. Other than that, the GT seems closest to "an NT w 20 more ponies". Combined w the weight savings, I bet there is a good amount more acceleration than the NT has. Great looking bike, too.
I have been able to sit on one and I can get my feet down with the low seat. There are some complaints about the windshield (it isn't adjustable) and for some it is too low. There are aftermarket windshields if it is a problem. I also talked to the dealer and they will install risers for me. Now I just have to talk the Minister of Finance into breaking loose with the money.

Bob

Now that another year has gone without a new ST or NT or VFR-T from Honda I may buy either an R1200RT or a K1600GT. I rode the belt driven F800GT this morning and although it has a little more power it is a step down from the NT700 in terms of comfort and wind protection (Both fairing and screen). I thought the forward lean was nearly identical to the NT, maybe a degree or two more but not much. While there I also rode a Triumph Trophy, it is a really nice bike but a little too upright for me as was the K1600GTL. The K1600GT felt like about the right ergos for me: lots of leg room but still pegs underneath and just enough forward lean to counter the force of acceleration. The seat on the K1600GT was height adjustable in a good range for me and it was big enough that you could sit forward or a little back and I like that ability to move around a little. It does seem odd. I have been pining after a Legendary Honda V4 for a couple of years and am a huge fan of Honda's reliability and relatively low cost of ownership. Now, I may go "opposite George" here from the electric-like smoothness of the V4 to the very different character of the boxer 2 cylinder and from the somewhat reasonable cost of Honda ownership to the "it costs how much to do what..." of the BMW world. My plan would be to extend the three year warranty and maybe even pick up a maintenance plan if they have one. The Connie just didn't feel right for me but the FJR is still a possibility. I'll know when the RT comes in and I have a chance to ride it. This is my fourth year on the NT and I'd gladly ride it another year if I knew Honda had plans to release something new in the sport touring category but don't think that is going to happen. I guess I had dismissed the idea of an ST1300 since (1) I really want factory cruise, (2) the bike hasn't been updated in years, and (3) none of the Honda dealers in my area has had one on the floor in over two years. But maybe I should check to see if there is one at a dealer not too far away. In any case, test riding bikes over the last couple months has really made me appreciate how good the NT700 really is and how much of a bike I really have to buy to be taking a step up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Ditto on above.

The NT really does spoil you in a lot of ways for really not much money, especially when you factor in the total cost of ownership.

I wish......VFR800 with shaft drive and fairing fitted like the NT. VFR1200 with better fairing would be OK, but probably too expensive and too heavy once the "sport touring" designers got done with it.

But, from the looks of things, it seems Honda might just abandon the ST market and move more toward the baggers.

Bob

The NT700 is 571 lbs and the R1200RT is listed at 604 lbs, not much more although I am not sure the RT weight includes the panniers.

Bob

You do realize, that six months after you buy the RT, Honda will announce a new 1300 tourer with all the features you want at $2500 less MSRP. It's a form of Murphy's Law.
Yes. It is actually a causal phenomenon so the guys over on the ST board should each pay me a little to do this.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
A short coment, through 96,97 not too bad R, RT , et since then JUNK, remember BMW translates to BRING MORE WAMPUM. As said earlier if our pockets are deep enough to afford all the naint , schedualed and unschedualed & want to put up with few and far between dealerships , ETC, & etc go for one! I think thiere engines and handling is not to be equaled. If they wee any thing like the 50's vintage , or early 6o's before they moved the factory from Munchin to Berlin they are still the best in the world at that time and today .

Eldon

Top Bottom