Reducing the effects of arthritis...

rcase13

For those with arthritis I would like to hear what you do to increase your riding time. I guess I am getting more use to it over time but eventually the pain turns to weakness and then I know it?s time to get off for a while. It is the same with my weed eater. The vibration causes my arms to get numb and weak. My arms will be weak and shaky for hours after using the weed eater. The same thing happens on the NT only to a lesser degree. The weed eater vibrates a LOT more than the NT. It?s 13 years old. I should probably retire it but it?s sort of become a mission to keep it running.

Right now about 3 hours is the best I can do before I know it?s time to get off. I?d like to do a lot more and eventually do an Iron butt. I am just looking for tips and tricks to increase my riding time. I am fairly young and new to motorcycling. I?ve been bitten hard and would love to ride more. I am looking into reducing the NT?s vibration but I am also looking at things I can do physically to reduce the numbness caused by arthritis.

I have thought long and hard on getting a non v-twin bike but I really like the NT and it really is the perfect bike for me. I've decided to explore other options before trying another bike.

Thanks!

Bike
Silver NT700V
I am 59 and just did an SS1000 a couple of weeks back and 700 miles last weekend. No arthritis but I do nurse a weak lower back. I have found ibuprofren to be my friend. Also, I ride in 100 mile increments. I used to use 1 hour for my rest interval. I can ride the NT much longer than that. The record so far is 3 hours, 189 miles. I don't really like to push like that though. On the SS1000 the 100 mile rule was key. Just getting off and moving around for 5 -10 minutes makes a big difference in fatigue.

What kind of seat do you have. Seating can make a huge difference.

I've had several orthopedic surgeries and have met with a few surgeons over these issues. I take Alleve (sodium naproxen). I buy the generic at Costco. The advice of these surgeons has been to take Alleve BEFORE doing anything that would inflame the joints. I take two tablets (440 mg) before I go dancing or before I go riding on my NT. Ibuprophen works but it doesn't last as long and it takes about 4 to 6 ibuprophen tablets to equal two Alleve. You can take two Alleve tablets twice a day if needed for up to a month, but all of the NSAIDs can be tougher on your kidneys. I have a full blood test done once a year and always check kidney functions and after years of doing this, they are fine. Good luck.

Terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If your hands and arms are the issue, my first suggestion would be to 1) get a cruise control (the Rostra from www.murphskits.com works very well), or 2) get a throttle lock.

Just being able to take a hand off the bars and keep it off for long periods of time makes a huge difference for me.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
One of the members here recently added some bar risers that had an insert to minimize/eliminate vibration and they reported it worked very well.

From memory they were roxy risers or similar.

This may help you problem

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I have rheumatoid arthritis (since the 5th grade) which has damaged my wrists and elbows. Several years ago, my rheumatologist put me on Enbrel and Celebrex. Along with a low dose of prednisone, this combination has done wonders for me. The Enbrel is ridiculously expensive, but I have good insurance which makes it very affordable. The worst thing about it is that it is a subcutaneous injection, once a week. I don't like needles, but the results are well worth it. I'm not sure if it works for other types of arthritis, but it's worth asking your doctor about.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
There are hundreds of types of Arthritis so beware of one size fits all solutions. For my own joint inflammation problems, as counter intuitive as it sounds. Movement seems to help. All the wonderful drugs out there all, even aspirin have side effects that can cause there own problems. Very few of us are able to confine ourselves to motionlessness and not suffer ill effects. This may provide some information: http://www.arthritis.org/

You can use the info to ask your Doc better questions. Good luck.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
There is a myth surrounding OTC medications--particularly NSAIDs. Ibuprofen (Motrin), Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) were, in the not too distant past, prescription only medications. There are still quite a few that have not become OTC--Etodolac, for example. NSAIDs do affect the kidneys, but in reality, wreak more havoc on the stomach, at times causing perforations in the stomach wall. In any case, NSAIDs should always be taken on a full stomach, preferably with milk. One should always consult a doctor before embarking on a regimen of NSAIDs. They are counterindicated if you have hypertension. Do watch yourself. Just because it is OTC it is not safe to take without a medical consultation. The best thing to do is to excercise and eat a proper diet.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I do have circulation issues with any kind of vibration or when my upper arm is kept at a certain angle (played a lot of baseball, catcher). The NT has enough vibration to numb my hands.

I will be adding a full cruise control to the NT this spring. The only way I can do longer rides (more than 30min) is with a throttle lock. Then I just rest my hands on the grips. Gel grips and gloves do help a little.

OP
OP

rcase13

Thanks, for all the responses. I think I will start with products that reduce the vibration. I know that is what is causing the main issues. I am very sensitive to vibrations. I have some research to do on that. I wouldn't mind having the handle bars a little more far forward but really don't want to mess with longer cables. LOL It's funny some feel the vibrations and some don't. I wonder if the ones that do have arthritis or other joint problems. LOL I was blessed with two types of arthritis and joint disorders. Fun Fun Fun!!

I never thought to take ibuprofen before riding. I always took it after. I will give that a try. The pain is usually not bad enough to take any medicine. I just live with it. But I can't just live with it on the bike. After awhile the pain turns to weakness and that is scary on a bike. Next time I go to the doctor I will ask about Ibuprofen and blood pressure pills. I take a blood pressure pill everyday. I never knew there was a problem taking Ibuprofen with blood pressure pills. I very rarely take Ibuprofen so I should be OK to take it before I ride long distances. I have to go a long ways before I start to get pain that is bad enough to stop. About three hours is the best I can do. I will also have to try stopping briefly every hour.

And last but not least I do think a cheap cruise control device that just clips on would be good. I have more problems with my right arm. That must be why because I can rest my left arm.

Cool thanks again! On my way to an Iron Butt!!!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I would only add this. Listen to your body. Its trying to tell you something. If you hurt, as many of us older riders do, there is nothing wrong with judicious use of drugs. But listen to your body and if you body is giving you pain, dont ride for three hours. I certainly dont and I think 400 miles is a good day....600, which I have done, is a pain. I literally could not do 300 miles a day without a throttle lock, and frequent stops. And the advice of asking your doctor is the best. Say to him/her, "Hey doc, I want to ride 1,000 miles in one day once in my life and the doc might say, "fine, here is what you have to take and when to do that....or the doc might say, How bad do you want to be crippled for life? Its not about how far you can brag about riding in one day....its enjoying the journey.
Chris with joint and back issues who hates pain

Bike
Silver NT700V
Chris,

Throttle locks are a great help. I have the Go Cruise but there are several. The Go Cruise does not require tools and is inexpensive. The small one fits a non-heated grip. I don't use mine much but it stays mounted. It can be a releif to relax the right hand and arm even for a few minutes.

Also, riding shorter stretches helps too. Get off, walk around, stretch. Down here in SE TX in summer it is a must to keep cool and hydrated anyway. My usual interaval is a hour or 100 miles. After all, the SS1000 is just a series of 100 mile jaunts.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think we all have our favorite locks....I am an NEP lock addict. I like the fact that it is easily ajustable for tension. And yes, I get off the bike a bunch....I think I know all the gas stations, restaurants and rest areas along about 2000 miles of western highways. And I never grow tired of them. I like new roads too, but I never tire of the roads from Cody, Wy into Yellowstone and around the whole ecosystem, down into the Tetons and back into central Wyoming and Montana. But I gotta tell you, Chuck, heat does me in. When I used to tour from ILLinois out to the west in the summer, I would get an early start and ride till the heat of the day and get a hotel till I got west of Nebraska. After 50 miles, I can be fine and keep on going, but If I catch myself looking at the odometer, wishing it would go faster, I stop and smell the sagebrush....

skiper

I had a severe case of arthritis at age fourty , wrists and ankles flared up so couldn't walk the stairs right. Short story - reluctantly attended Qi Gong class. Only did it every other day, seemed boring, couldn't find the groove. After five weeks wrists seemed slightly better and then I followed the half hour every day as recommended. Pain reduction increased rapidly as did ROM. Stiffness melted away - controlled breathing is easy to make fun of and since results take longer than most people want is why it's practically a secret. It takes twenty to thirty minutes for brain waves to shift - gentle deep breaths gradually slowed down and the rest is automatic. For me at nine weeks arthritis was eliminated one hundred percent. It will cost you nothing to experiment - you could find " Medical Qi Gong " DVD to increase your chances of success or a class. I think Tai Chi is too demanding to learn for purpose of healing arthritis, poss beter for maintenance. Medical Qi Gong can be targeted for specific conditions. A class can keep you focused - I may not have stuck with it if I didn't commit to a class. It opened a new road for me. bye the way " I want my NTv "

tawilke46

I may try Qi Gong for my arthritis as well as other health issues. Worth a try.
Relaxation and breathing techniques appear to help many people with health problems.

YZFfzr

I also have RA issues with my wrists and ankles...
Limiting the vibration helps considerably along with using a throttle lock.
I will say though that setting the bike up correctly made the biggest difference.
Getting the bars and foot rests moved to fit you better makes a huge difference!

Also, choosing a four over a twin is not a fix all solution either...
My FZ1 hurts my wrists much more then the NT.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I am not medical trained in any way, ecxceptas a patient; My doctor has me on some blood pressure med, I have been told not to use Ibupropin which did work vwery well for me . I have been told to use tylonal over counter and told I could take up to 3 or four doses of two 500 mg with-in a 24 hour time frame. I do this before and on a 4 - 6 hour basis when riding. It is not s good as Iburpropin , but takes the edge off and doesn't bother my stomach. when on ithe Ibupropin I was having to eat , and or drink a lot of milk to coounteract stomach burn.

I do run a Throttlemiester , as well as have the heli riser installed on my bike. My gloves vary from a light deeerskin to a heavier leather with gauntlets. I also have honda OEM heated grips andI find that if my hands start aching even in warmer weather that I can turn on about 1/2 hea temp and it will help in counteractiong hand ach/cramp

Eldon

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
With your physical limitations, it seems silly to try and reach 3 hours without getting off the bike. I usually try and stop around every two hours for gas but mostly to get off the bike, walk around, stretch my muscles, water a tree, and a splash of cold water on my face. I've ridden across the country several times but have absolutely no aspirations to join the Iron Butt fraternity.

docta

One of the things I have learned over the years here at the Retirement Home is to begin taking my favorite analgesics a day or so before a long ride. Different ones work for different folks. If I need quick relief, Alka Seltzer works for me, too.......lots of analgesic ingredient and the liquid seems to act much faster than a pill or capsule. Most of us "mature" riders have learned what works for us through years of experience.....most discomfort comes from failing or not remembering to plan and stay within our comfort zone(s). I did my last Iron Butt with no significant discomfort (1181 miles in just over 18 hours) on my own bike and rode every day in all weather for two weeks in New Zealand last January/February with no physical discomfort (rented 650 V-Strom). Taking a few minutes to get the best fit/interface with the bike goes without saying, though I just did. None of this seems to be very helpful for Irish rheumatism, though.

TW

f

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've ridden across the country several times but have absolutely no aspirations to join the Iron Butt fraternity.
Good! We want to keep it really exclusive. :)

It amazes me how many people have done an IBA ride. When I did my first SS1K in August, '99, it got me an IBA number of 5,811. Now there are about 50,000 people who've done a SS.

Top Bottom