Regarding coolant change....

Hopalong Honda

Hey, Everyone,

I was wondering how to get at the radiator cap after taking off the middle black fairing lid, and it looks like there is a large piece of plastic that is in the way of the cap. I read that someone was going to change their's, but they didn't mention if a lot of fairing removal was required. Is this the case? After bleeding my brakes, I was thinking that the coolant change would be easier. Not so? I am always apprehensive about plastic removal and all the screws involved and getting it all back together the RIGHT way.
Thanks for any help.

James

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
In another 150 of so miles, I'll be changing out the coolant fluid on my wife's 2010 NT. I figured I would do it at the same time I did the 600 mile valve adjustment. (Even though the bike only has 600 miles on it, it is chronologically 2 years old and that means time to change the coolant).

I believe the steps in the service manual include the removal of the right upper fairing. The removal of the fairing will allow not only access to the radiator cap but also access to the drain bolt on the right side of the motor.

Oh BTW, the two drain bolts have washers that Honda wants replaced with new ones during coolant changes. Below are the part numbers for the two bolts (the one on the right side was a bit tricky to locate in the parts fische).

Coolant Servicing:

Water pump drain bolt: Part #90463-ML7-000, Washer 6.5mm, Fische location: Water pump, Ref #07
Crankcase drain bolt: Part #90441-ME9-000, Washer 8mm, Fische location: Crankcase, Ref #18

Hey, Everyone,

I was wondering how to get at the radiator cap after taking off the middle black fairing lid, and it looks like there is a large piece of plastic that is in the way of the cap. I read that someone was going to change their's, but they didn't mention if a lot of fairing removal was required. Is this the case? After bleeding my brakes, I was thinking that the coolant change would be easier. Not so? I am always apprehensive about plastic removal and all the screws involved and getting it all back together the RIGHT way.
Thanks for any help.

James

Last edited:
Bike
Silver NT700V
Step one, get service manual.

I saw this too when stripping the bike to put in fog lights. Likely that all plastic must be removed. Service manual is invaluable for this,

Good luck,

Chuck

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Helm.inc is where you can get any of the Honda manuals (service, owners, etc). There are probably other locations too but that is the one I've used for all my Honda Service Manuals.

This link will take you straight to the NT700V service manual at Helm.inc.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Even if you are not mechanically inclined, a Service Manual is money well spent. I would bet that what Honda would charge for a coolant change would be more than the price of the manual.

The part of the manual EVERYBODY can use are the pages with the torque specs. A torque wrench from Harbor Freight---they have a 3/8" drive one for $10.00 and a set of Metric Sockets, and you can safely wrench on your own bike. Satisfaction: Priceless.

elizilla

I'm sure there is a source closer to home, and that would be better because you'd get a manual that reflects any EU-specific differences in the bikes. Like the different switchgear for the light horn and the four way flashers. And the HISS system.

stupidmonkey

Even if you are not mechanically inclined, a Service Manual is money well spent. I would bet that what Honda would charge for a coolant change would be more than the price of the manual.

The part of the manual EVERYBODY can use are the pages with the torque specs. A torque wrench from Harbor Freight---they have a 3/8" drive one for $10.00 and a set of Metric Sockets, and you can safely wrench on your own bike. Satisfaction: Priceless.
I second this. For the part time motor mechanic there's no reason to spend $100 plus on torque wrech and having one makes tasks a lot easier.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Christian,
That is quite a revelation to me. Back in 1971 a group of us from TSAAB--everybody thinks it stands for Team SAAB--but it doesn't. It stands for Tom Swift's All American Boys. We were a rag tag bunch of crazies who liked to rally. I had a SAAB Monte Carlo--3Cyl 2 Stroke, all tricked out. We went to Trolhattan to tour the SAAB factory. We were treated like royalty. As a result, I bought a 1971 Sonett III in electric blue and black. This car had the V-4. Loved that car but had to sell it in four years to help pay tuition for my Master's--for which I was already in debt. Maybe we got treated so well because we were Americans who rallied SAAB cars--and did well in them.

I'm wondering if you could find a manual on E-Bay. A US Manual would be better than nothing--but one written in Swedish which addresses the differences between the EU model and the US one would be nice.

I have to admire your patience. I probably would have--in a loud voice- have announced that I had bought two new Hondas, and that the least they can do is to acommodate me.
A line I have used with clerks like you describe is, "Is there someone I can talk to here who isn't brain dead?" That usually gets a response.

elizilla

Guys, I will tell you how retailers work in Sweden:
{snip}
The US way is better.
Hmmm, I dunno. Your experience sounds pretty similar to the experience I have had in plenty of shops in the USA, not just motorcycle shops but in general. The dealer I bought the NT from didn't know how to order a manual either. Fortunately it's not my first rodeo, so I knew that Helm Inc is the US distributor for Honda manuals, and that I should just order direct from them.

Do you have independent shops there, who can order OEM parts? There is a shop about ten miles from here, an independent shop that does most of their business with dirt bikes. They don't have any bikes for sale, they're not online, and my two interactions with their repair shop were neither of them satisfactory. But they can order just about anything. The guy who I talk to there is the owner. He is interested and engaged, and super helpful when it comes to just finding whatever it is I want, and getting it in at a competitive price. I think it's because he's the owner, he's been doing this for decades, and he knows all the ins and outs of where to get things. Instead of some teenager just killing time until they find a job that pays enough to get out of the parent's basement. Experience counts, even in retail.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Eureka I thought. Then I saw the added up sum to order this manual:
Subtotal: $64.95
Handling: $30.00
Shipping: $124.04
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $218.99
------------------------------
and then I forgot about the whole thing. Handling 30 box and then 124 box for shipping? By private jet or what? :)
Christian:

I could buy it for you and ship it via International Mail... gotta be cheaper than that. Let me know and I'll check into it.

Mike

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Our Harley-Davidson/Honda dealer in Augusta has an enormous inventory. If he does not have what you need, he punches a few keys in his computer, and tells you he will have the part in two days--three, maximum. When the part comes in, he phones you.

I always prepay. When I get the call, the Service Manager will say that he has someone going to Belfast, and offers to drop the part off at my house. The dealership is spotless and loaded with shiny new Harleys and Hondas. You get greeted by a staffperson as soon as you arrive and are offered a cup of coffee. They know you by name, send you a Christmas Card, periodically a reminder that your inspection is due. They are a pleasure to deal with. I sometimes just stop there and visit.

tawilke46

Fortunately it's not my first rodeo, so I knew that Helm Inc is the US distributor for Honda manuals, and that I should just order direct from them.
In the back part of the owner's manual (pages 228, 229 & 230) that comes with the 2010 NT there is an address, phone #, and an e-mail address on how and where you can get a Shop Manual for the NT from Helm. Cause that is how I got mine. Also I do not believe it was all that expensive. $60 plus $3.75 handling charge. At least that is the cost in the U.S.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
This is the US service manual. There will be differences to the EU models. Most specifically the wiring diagrams will be different due to additional options and the KISS. Most other items will likely be similar but you'll need to be aware that the manual wouldn't match your bike 100%.

Of course, the service manual does have errors so you always have to be on your toes. For example, it is incorrect on the body panel removal diagram. It says you have to remove the upper lid cover before the middle side cover.....that of course isn't likely to happen unless you break off the tabs connecting the lid cover and the side cover (not recommended). ;-)
Eureka I thought. Then I saw the added up sum to order this manual:
Subtotal: $64.95
Handling: $30.00
Shipping: $124.04
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $218.99
------------------------------
and then I forgot about the whole thing. Handling 30 box and then 124 box for shipping? By private jet or what? :)

Top Bottom