Relay Question

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Okay, I've wired in 4 and 5 pole relays before, so I should get this. But I'm not. Maybe one of you will spot what I'm missing here, since you're approaching it with fresh eyes.

I have a 4 pole relay. I'm wiring up my LED driving lights. I can go directly from the wires leading from the battery to the wires of the LED lights and they light up. So I know that works. But when I put the relay in the circuit, it doesn't.

Here's what I have wired:
  • 30 - Battery connection to Positive
  • 87 - LED lights on the white wire. Confirmed with Sanjoh that this was the positive lead, and it works when the relay is out of the circuit.
  • 85 - Ground wire from lights and from battery. (There didn't seem to be any convenient ground locations up in the front.)
  • 86 - Connection to the parking light, left side.

I'm missing something, but I don't know what.

Chris
Make sure that the connection from the 86 to the parking light is the 12 volt side (hot) of the parking light circuit. Use a volt meter to verify. Are you talking about the NT700? Did not know it had parking lights? Are you talking about the turn Signal/Running light? If so make sure you did not connect to the turn signal circuit but to the 12volt side of the running light.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm not sure that the parking lite wire will give you 12VDC. It is my understanding that the front parking lite bulbs are single filament. Thus they either have a voltage dropping circuit or a PWM circuit which allows them to be dimmer when on vs when used as turn signal indicators. I was going to see how Honda accomplished this the next time I had the Tupperware off. If, as I surmise that the voltage is <12VDC or is PWM, it may not be enough to drive the coil of the relay as you are hoping.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I'm not sure that the parking lite wire will give you 12VDC. It is my understanding that the front parking lite bulbs are single filament. Thus they either have a voltage dropping circuit or a PWM circuit which allows them to be dimmer when on vs when used as turn signal indicators. I was going to see how Honda accomplished this the next time I had the Tupperware off. If, as I surmise that the voltage is <12VDC or is PWM, it may not be enough to drive the coil of the relay as you are hoping.

Hope this helps!

Mike
You are correct sir. Could not sleep this early morning, wife is off to work, and we have three inches of fresh snow on the ground. So @ 0500 I got a cup of coffee and opened my service manual to the wiring diagram. Never paid much attention to the signal/running lights. Only two wires. I have deleted my previous post as it was wrong and contained incorrect info. Chris, You are going to have to find another 12 volts switched source to run your relay coil..

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chris, I picked off my 12 volt switched power to run my relay coil from the bottom of the fuse box. I have a non ABS so I only have one fuse box. The circuit I used is the 20 amp headlight circuit. Turn the fuse box over and you will see two r/b (Red/Black) wires. one of those two will work. See pictures.

Last edited:

silverdevil

as MIKESIM said in message #6 the front parking/turn signal bulb is a SINGLE filament bulb, if no turn signal is on it is less than 12v, if turn signal is on it is 12v when on and ground when off.
the thing that controls the front parking/turn signal bulb is located on the left side about in the middle (front to back) of the bike.
go to this page and go to message #3 to see location of the turn signal controller http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?838-make-the-turn-signal-visible-to-the-rider-in-bright-sun-and-sunglasses
the turn signal controller is located just to the front of the rear brake fluid reservoir.

Last edited by a moderator:

bicyclist

ADVMonster lights? Check the current draw; you may not even need a relay. I have a pair on my Versys wired from my aux fuse box through a switch with no relay. No problem.

edit: I just checked his site. I have the model 30 lights, which draw .85 A wired through his 10 A waterproof switch. No need for a relay. That's the nice thing about LEDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

bicyclist

Ah, I see. My aux fuse box is only powered when the bike is on, which eliminates that problem.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
So why not just use the Aux circuit that Honda provides. It is switched. And no matter how much stuff you have on it now a relay won't make that much difference.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, it is kinda under the left pocket, just in front of the left radiator outlet vent. If you take off the body work it is right there. If you don't want to tap the bike's harnes you can get the Honda Accessory plug and wires for about $15. It is a wierd connector. It would also be simple to wire in a 4 pin Molex instead. I think there is a switched and an unswitched circuit there, but, I may be wrong on the unswitched. I just can't remember anymore. It is fused at 10A.

I put aux LED lights, cig lighter adapter, powerlet, and heated grips all on that circuit and it never complained. The cig lighter only powered my phone and/or a GPS.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
No but here it is from Honda. If you select the installation guide it will show you drawings of everything.

http://powersports.honda.com/2010/nt700v/accessories.aspx

I think I just cut off the receptacle and put on a pair of bullet connectors, or probably a Y harness to a couple of bullets, or something like that.

If you are smarter than me you'd cut off the Honda end connector and extend the wires so that any connections can be accessed from under the left hand radiator exhaust grill. That only takes one screw to get off and no other tupperware. :)

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yeah, if they made the darn thing about 6" longer it would be simple to get to. But, no, this is a Honda :)

I thought there was an unswitched 12V in there.

Glad it worked for you.

CommuterNT

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll post pictures of the lights this weekend. And if it ever quits raining, I'll get with CommuterNT and we'll do a comparison of the Denalis he has with the Model 30 from ADVMonster.

Chris
Give me a call. I'd love to see the light comparison. Where did you end up installing them?

Kyle

Top Bottom