[How To] Removing bar ends

elizilla

I just about lost my mind, last winter, trying to get the darn bar-end weights off so I could install the heated grips. The thing that finally helped me was this page at the Twisted Throttle site:

Removal of Honda bar ends

There's a sort of spring collar in there, with little bumps in them that fit into holes in the bars. You can squeeze the collar to press the bumps in, either by pressing in the holes with a punch, or by squeezing some little tabs that stick out the ends of the bars. Once you break these little bumps loose from the holes, the whole inner weight comes out, it's six inches or so in length up inside the bars. And once the whole assembly was out, I was able to grip the inner weight with vise grips, and turn the screw to pull the large weight off the end of the bars.

The spring collars were a bit damaged, from spinning in there. They didn't stay in very firmly when I reassembled. I ordered some new ones, they are less than $5 each, and now that I know the trick I haven't damaged them again. :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
When my dealer installed my heated grips it appears they did not depress the tabs to pull the weight out... :rolleyes: So a few months later I am riding along and glance down to see my throttle side bar end sticking out about 3 inches! :confused: I pulled over, smacked it and the weight back in and rode to the dealership. Of course the part wasn't in stock and that little clip took a week to show up!

If you are going to install a Throttle Meister Cruise Control I suggest you get a couple of spares of the spring steel clips in case you mess one up... I have had enough issues with my stock Bar Ends coming loose to make me decide against the Throttle Meister.

When I replaced my grip a couple days ago, I simply held hand pressure on the weight, pushing it in towards the grip. Using my electric drill on low power, I backed the recessed retaining bolt straight out. Had both them off in a minute or so.

Top Bottom