Replaced my crank position sensor today

A couple weeks ago, my 2010 NT700 didn't want to start up right away after shutting down briefly. When I got home, I pulled up the code and it was 19, crank position sensor. I had to wait a couple weeks, but finally replaced it today.

The job is fairly straightforward and has been talked about here several times, so I won't go into details. I do want to mention a couple things that I noticed though.

First of all, I didn't have to do anything with the headers. They were left installed and tightened.

Second, the biggest problem BY FAR was removing the mufflers from the headers. A real pain,.....a lot of liquid wrench, pulling, twisting, banging with a 2x4, some creative speech and a torch to heat things up....and it finally came off. Funny thing, it went right back on easily using a little banging at the muffler end with a 2x4 piece.

The only other thing of interest is MAKE SURE your center stand is down or at least lowered. I worked with the bike on the sidestand for easier access to things, so the center stand was up. When you do that, the center stand stop that is on the muffler will lock the center stand up and you will have to loosen everything up to bring it back down.

Total job was 7 hours for me. Might have been a bit quicker if I wasn't 74 lol.

So....the job isn't difficult with the exception of removing the muffler....just a bit tedious removing the body work to access the engine side panel.

Cliff

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Cliff, don't feel bad about the seven hours. I too am 74 and it seems to take me forever to do a ten minute job. My manual dexterity ain't what it used to be and my remembery sure as hell ain't what it used to be. I can take a 10mm wrench and put it down and 30 seconds later can't find the damn thing. I search all over for five minutes and there it is, right in front of me. I don't have a lift so I am working on the floor and when you are 74, once you are on the floor, it is a major project getting up off the floor. Somehow, I think the force of gravity has greatly strengthend in the past 30 years or so.... at least it seems that way to me.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Somehow, I think the force of gravity has greatly strengthend in the past 30 years or so.... at least it seems that way to me.

Mike
Yep, there is more gravity these days. And the ground is a lot farther down than it used to be too. Weeks have fewer days and days have fewer hours. There is less money in the checkbook. I’m retired!

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Cliff, don't feel bad about the seven hours. I too am 74 and it seems to take me forever to do a ten minute job. My manual dexterity ain't what it used to be and my remembery sure as hell ain't what it used to be. I can take a 10mm wrench and put it down and 30 seconds later can't find the damn thing. I search all over for five minutes and there it is, right in front of me. I don't have a lift so I am working on the floor and when you are 74, once you are on the floor, it is a major project getting up off the floor. Somehow, I think the force of gravity has greatly strengthend in the past 30 years or so.... at least it seems that way to me.

Mike
I am only 62 and I am suffering from the same problems, what is 74 going to look like ;-)

Seagrass

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I will be 74 this month and I can relate to everything that is said X five, as I have five bikes to maintain. Four of my own and one from my son -in - law. I even have a table lift to make things easier, but even with that it is getting more difficult. Now I just don't worry how long it takes to do a job, I am retired and I have time. I just take lots more breaks than I use to.:biggrin:

SAM_0792.JPGSAM_0875.JPGSAM_1335.JPGSAM_1621.JPGSAM_3176.JPG

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I too am 74. When I replace my crank position sensor, it took me a long time because I do things very slowly and carefully. The toughest thing for me about old age isnt the body...I can still walk for ever and get up and down pulling weeds and I camp 28 days a year. Its the mind. Why am I in the basement....? Why cant I remember this guy's name? So I make lists and I keep records on my computer and above all have a MS Word calander to keep track of trips, drugs expirations and refills, maintenance, doctors appts. Then I print out the calander and paste it to a piece of cardboard and put it on the kitchen table. Oddly, old age doesnt seem to affect my riding ability much...going to the Reno Air races in 3 days.....everyone have fun now while we can.
a tetons.jpg
Enjoy the sunset
1693886154417.png

And remember those that have made our lives possible....
1693886274852.png

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yep, there is more gravity these days. And the ground is a lot farther down than it used to be too. Weeks have fewer days and days have fewer hours. There is less money in the checkbook. I’m retired!
Checkbook keeps filling up...my job is to buy cruises so I dont have too much money.

Top Bottom