Replacing Brake Fluid

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
The manual says change bake fluid at 12,000. I'm over 17000 and haven't done it yet. Should I move this up my to do list? How letter of the law are others on this?

docta

I always try to follow the Honda maintenance schedule. Make sure you completely bleed the system to flush out all the old stuff and use only the specified fluid from a sealed bottle.......don't get any on the paint.
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under contol.

TW

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I tend to do brake fluid replacement more on a time schedule than on a mileage schedule. My understanding is that what makes brake fluid need replacing is its tendancy to become a mixture of fluid and water (it's hydrophilic and absorbs water). On the Concours, the brake fluid started looking really ugly after a 25-30,000 miles. So far what's in my NT looks as clean as it can be.

It probably helps to live out here where the relative humidity is usually below 50%.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Out here I rarely replace brake fluid, cars, trucks or bikes. Rarely ride in rain, and like Phil said, humidity levels low enough to dry rot most things. Our problems are related to UV.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I would use more of time schedule also. Maybe 2-3 years for the first change and 1-2 years after that. More often if the fluid starts darkening. I am suprized at how clear the NT fluid looks at 10,000.
If/when the fluid does gets moisture in it, the moisture can boil from the heat of the brakes. Then braking action degrades. It also can start pitting/corrosion in the calipers and pistons.

Brad

Bike
Silver NT700V
Mine was changed at 12K with the service. I noted how much more clear the new fluid is. I had not noticed the darkening as it is a slow process. BTW, SE TX is VERY humid.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The bleeding procedure does call out specific steps and order. The combined brakes complicate a little.
Mainly you just need to go back and forth several times to flush old fluid and keep the air out. My NT is non-ABS so I'm not familiar with the extra steps that ABS will add to the process but I would check manual first to get the new fluid everywhere you can.

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Only buy brake fluid in the smallest containers as it too will start to collect moisture once the can is opened. The rule of thumb was to keep it only 6-months once opened so that means my cars also get their fluid changed. It's a lot cheaper to change the fluid every two years than buy new brake components!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Re: Replacing Brake Fkuid

Just thought I'd add a post as a reminder to not let the brake fluid go too long before replacing/flushing.
I just bought a 2006 Kawasaki KLX 250 and was going through a few things on it. The brake fluid was bad news. I couldn't get get fluid out of the front caliper until I squeezed the heck out of the brake lever and broke loose a chunk of sludge. The fluid was badly discolored and didn't smell like brake fluid either.
I was told this bike sat outside for probably 5 years so that may be a part of it also. I'm sure this was the original fluid.

Anyway just a reminder to flush the fluid every couple years or so to prevent problems.

Brad

Bike
2013 FJR 1300

I've put SpeedBleeders on my Wee and WRX, and found that they simplify the operation significantly. Have them for the NT and am just waiting until I replace the front pads to do the fluid.
I like the idea of these. What sizes are appropriate? I'm inclined to guess the same as the ST1300.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

[...Have them for the NT and am just waiting until I replace the front pads to do the fluid...]

Bob,

If the fluid has been in there at or beyond 2-years, I'd go ahead and do it now. Brake fluid is cheap!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

I agree.....when I can find out the correct number of the speed bleeders, I am going to do mine....Frosty says SB 8125 and George says SB 8125 L
I emailed speedbleeders and asked them..........

OK, here is the word from the horse's mouth.....
"The size(s) for your application is as follows:
>
> Front..right SB8125L quantity 1, left SB8125L quantity 2
> Rear...SB8125L quantity 1
>
> When ordering Speed Bleeder, consider also ordering the Bag and Hose Combo.
> The bag is like an IV bag. It comes with 30 inches of silicone hose. When
> one end of the hose is attached to the bag and the other end is
> attached to the Speed Bleeder, it makes the messy job of bleeding brakes neat and clean.
> The hose and bag are reusable.
>
> Speed Bleeder is also available in 303 Stainless Steel. The stainless steel
> bleeder will never rust or corrode and is polished to a brilliant gloss for
> the custom look. To order the stainless steel version go to
> www.speedbleeder.com click on "Secure Ordering" at the top of the order page
> you will see a selection "Stainless Steel". Click on this heading and all
> the sizes available in stainless steel will drop down.
>
> Thanks,
> Whitney
>
[...Have them for the NT and am just waiting until I replace the front pads to do the fluid...]

Bob,

If the fluid has been in there at or beyond 2-years, I'd go ahead and do it now. Brake fluid is cheap!

Last edited:
Top Bottom