Ride around the Park

Deleted member 540

We left Colorado Springs at noon Friday the 23rd and headed up to Rocky Mountain National Park. The weather was great. Rode through Golden Gate Canyon, up to the Peak to Peak Highway in Estes Park. Took Trail Ridge Road through RMNP over to a campsite on the west side. The elk were bugeling all night around the camp which is near the Colorado River. Great scenery, lots of elk and awesome newly paved roads. The next morning went back up to top to look for more wildlife and see the mountains in the morning sun. Saw 3 moose and more elk. It was 32* when we left camp and colder at the top, but warmed up nicely soon.
Rode back to camp and packed up to head over Bethoud Pass down to I-70. After a short 30 miles up the superslab, turned north to go up Hwy 9 towards the Gore Range Eagles Nest Mountains.
After that we took Hyw 40 back to Granby to catch Hwy 125 up to Walden in North Park. After a gas stop, rode 40 miles to a great campsite at Chambers Lake along Hyw 14.
We got up early and rode 14 down the Poudre Canyon Hyw. If you ever get to Colorado the Poudre Caynon Hwy is a must ride. Beautiful scenery and good road with tons of curves.
Had lunch in Ft. Collins and headed home. It was a wonderful 2 days full of twisty roads, changing aspens, mountains, and wildlife. We basically rode through RMNP and the all the way around it. 693 miles.
P.s. Finally found a good use for the saddlebags!

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You couldn't have had much better weather for your trip, Tracker. This is such a great time of year to ride in Colorado. I'm still looking forward to riding to Snowmass in a few weeks. First snow is usually sometime in October or November. I'm voting for November!

Top Bottom