Ride in the Rain

Bike
Bonneville T120
This time of year I'm a big apple eater. I love fresh apples, but not so much ones that have been shipped from New Zealand. They don't make the trip. So in spite of the fact that today is a bit of a dreary, overcast day with light rain here in the great state of Maine, I decided to go down to an orchard and pick up a half peck of apples. I suited up in rain gear and headed out.

Going down route 1A it really hit me that this is how the the NT is to be ridden; two lane highway, about 55 to 60 mph. That is the element of the NT. IT was a great ride in spite of the rain and the apples are good too.

Bike
2014 Black Yamaha Bolt
The Brits on the UK website will agree with you. Big discussions there on rain gear and the best tires (excuse me, tyres) for wet roads.:cool:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Dan,
You have definitely found the "Sweet Spot" for the NT. On Merlot, I hardly get damp cruising at 60 to 65 with the windshield up one notch on the CeeBailey +2. The undercowl definitely keeps my feet dry. I have yet to get rain gear. I don't think you need it with the NT. My Tourmaster jacket and Icon pants seem to do the job. You and I rode in some good rain together and I stayed pretty dry. I do like my NT. Have you hugged your bike today?

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I agree Dan. I always liked my NT best at 55-60 in 5th gear. Hope you enjoyed your apples!

skiper

I also have been on apple runs, rain also, fireplace smoke, wind generators, fishing holes, draft horses... etc - all very good - and back roads my favorite 45-60 as permitting -- 40 when passing horse and buggy, on sundays lot-o-buggies here in Amish country. watch out cause no pooper scoopers for horses...

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
lot-o-buggies here in Amish country.
When I had occasion to do some work in the Harrisonburg, VA area in the 80's I was entertained by the presence of hitching posts in the Safeway and K-mart parking lots. It's Mennonite country around there.

skiper

just got back from a ride in Mennonite country - farmstands still have stuff - windfree and 65-70 degrees - reflections on the lakes are hypnotic when zero wind - gulls seemed like thy were dreaming as they glided in straight as an arrow - NT performed perfectly - slaloming around on a lazy slowride - oh and i probably don't pass buggies at fourty, more like thirty - makes it easier to glance in to see em wave - most do - it's a secret Mennonite wave that can't be divulged.......... still waiting to see a steel wheel NT700v. CHOW for NOW

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Skiper, You live in some great biking country--motorcycling and bicycling. I love riding in the Finger Lakes Region. It is beautiful at this time of the year. There' Watkins Glen, Moravia , Seneca Falls Skaneateles, and so forth. Really a beautiful area--good roads too. We used to live in Syracuse.

skiper

it's been good to me, and maybe we can ride together one day. have not explored moravia or shaneateles yet - can't even say it , so one step at a time. i've been to syracuse several times to eat at a chinese place that featured a murder of crows living in the trees around it - enjoyed it all. got caught in a squall two weeks ago, cats and dogs and all , but the good old NT brought me back unscathed and soaked. very interesting lesson - caution and an excellent machine brought me back home with a smile. good thread.. see you around. ralph

Top Bottom