Rider Back Rest Option For The Stock Seat

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I was out surfing and stumbled over a company that makes a rider back rest for the stock NT seat. Utopia Products makes back rests for several motorcycle brands and models.

The NT Back Rest is priced at $215 which beats buying a custom seat if all you want is a back rest! I would probably have a local upholstery shop install it so that would add another $100 or so...

Just another option for those looking for a backrest...:smile:

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I don't think a Size 2 would fit behind that backrest, at least not for long anyway! But for those wanting a rider backrest solution, other than a expensive new custom seat and backrest, this is a viable option...

Personally I don't do rider backrests or hard tail trunks, both just get in my way....and tend to get kicked a lot.

1TRAK

Another option: Get a 3 day weekend, a big duffle bag stuffed with camping gear, clothes, soft coolers, whatever --- mount it to the passenger seat --- head north south east or west with the money you saved.

elizilla

I had a Russell seat with a backrest, on the bike I rode to Alaska in 2001. The backrest not only folded down for ease in getting on and off the bike, it also could be slid out of its mounting slot and left behind if I were to carry a passenger. It was nice, though since the seat was purchased used and had originally been made to fit someone else (someone who was probably a foot taller than me, and twice my weight), I couldn't actually lean on it while riding. It was nice when I stopped, though. I could put both feet down, and stretch back against it, and it was in the perfect location and shape to uncurl my back after a long ride. And I could put my bike on the centerstand, climb back on, put my feet on the highway pegs and recline for a nap - super comfortable!

I also once had a KG slider backrest, that could be placed for either the driver or the passenger to lean on. Which was highly convenient, but the backrest shape and location wasn't nearly as perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Got exited thought this was a passenger piece, dagnabitt

elizilla

Is it not easily removable? I guess if you take it out it leaves a gaping hole in the seat. That might mean if I buy this one, I'm looking at replacing the seat.
I suspect that just about any customized seat, could be traded for a stock seat without much difficulty. There are people here on this forum, wishing for just about anything that you're likely to find on a used bike.

Top Bottom