Rider magazine says NT is "defunct"

Bike
2010 NT700V
I got my Rider magazine yesterday. They have a separate story and and a comparison story on the NC700. In the story about the NC, it mentions the "now defunct NT700A". Not a good thing to read.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Well, HONDA are the only ones that know the truth. Everyone else are just guessing.. Now, some guesses might be right but they're more than likely to be incorrect... If Honda is going to focus some energy towards more affordable/higher mpg bikes... the NT falls into that category as much as the new NCX.

When HONDA wants us to know THEY will tell us.. LOL

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Yeah, I saw that. But, relax. They don't really know anything more than we do. Or than Honda dealers do. Honda management keeps everybody in the dark right up till the last moment.

I'm sure the NT isn't defunct. But it might not get imported to the US in 2013. It's still a steady seller in Europe and the UK and it doesn't cost them much to keep it in production.

There is talk of other spin-offs of the NC approach and one of them might be an NT replacement. Some European source said recently that there were larger capacity bikes that would embody the NT philosophy and that one of them would be a sport-tourer. That might bump the current Deauville and open the door to a new NT in the US.

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I agree with the above. A real journalist quotes sourses. Maybe its true , maybe its false, but until there is a reference, its called a rumor.
Anyone remember a Rider Magazine journalist from the last century named "Joe" who told it like it was and didnt give a hoot about marketing
an advertiser's products in every other sentance?
Hey, I can be a journalist too! "Unnamed sourses told me today the NT will appear as a 900 cc twin with hydrolic lifters and a sidestand with a real footprint
in 2013. The bike will have standard big lids and there will be no cost to the customer in obtaining the windscreen size of his/her choice."

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
"Unnamed sourses told me today the NT will appear as a 900 cc twin with hydrolic lifters and a sidestand with a real footprint
in 2013. The bike will have standard big lids and there will be no cost to the customer in obtaining the windscreen size of his/her choice."
Wow, Chris! What good news. Does it have 20 more horsepower and a sixth gear, too? And, while we're at it, I'd like for it to be an $8,000 bike.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Sure, a 900 would have 20 more HP.....as for the sixth gear....you wont need it. I sure dont need the one I got on the C10. Lots of times I double shift. What these bikes need are five wide spaced gears, with a bit taller final gear. As for that $11,600 "tricked out" NC700x in Rider, Honda can keep it. In any honest direct comparison of that bike with a leftover 2011 NT, the NT would win hands down. (Please dont tell me you have to remove the radiator to get to the valves.....)
How much HP does the Weestrom make again???? Now THERE'S a bike if you cant have an NT.
Chris who thinks the automatic transmission has lead to the decline and fall of western civilization

chief7mrc

I had concerns about Honda stopping producion of the NT700. I wrote Honda and received a phone call from a Honda rep. I voiced my concerns about Honda stopping production. After a long conservation he amitted the Nt700 would no longer be imported. This information was very hard to get from him. He said the first parts to disappear will be the plastic body parts but running parts would remain available for up to 10 years.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Assuming it is true I still wouldn't be too worried about parts. As I restore my 1987 Yamaha FJ1200 I have not come across any part yet I couldn't get...at a very reasonable price. In the case of the NT you may end up buying some parts from the UK but I suspect they will be plentiful for quite some time based on Deauville sales over the pond.

The only exception is I do suggest buying the Euro Optional Large Pannier Lids sooner than later, those as they might get fairly scarce at least in the correct colors, and the price for those will probably climb.....

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
The story that I got from a dealer was that it wasn't in the 2013 listing. However, he went on to say the guys that bought the bike love the bike, but it is a special niche of customer.

If it is the doom of the US made NT. Consider your bike a classic. If you don't have one, buy the black one, I think that one is the rarest!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
By law, they have to support this kind of product for 10 years from date of sale, IIRC.
Of course, if they are still made in Europe, that would be a parts sourse.
And if you wreck you bike, you can always inport a Euro version, move the data plates and license plates over, and Voila!
Brand new 2010 NT.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I think that Rider Magazine is defunct. After Iron Butt Magazine, everything is footnote.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I agree about Iron Butt magazine, but still get Rider, Motorcyclist, Cycle World, and Motocycle Consumer News, plus my favorite after the Iron Butt magazine, Bike, a British magazine.

I subscribe to too many magazines. Small Craft Advisor, Wooden Boat, Flying (which I swap with a pilot friend for the AOPA Pilot magazine), and Smithsonian Air & Space.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Rider is my personal favorite mag. I get a few others but that's the one I would keep. Just like all of them, there are 'opinions' and 'guesses' and they all do it...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I like Rider for trip reports and the "my favorite ride" reader stories. Plus, I like Clement Salvadori a lot.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Rider is good and Clement Salvadori is a good read. I get all the mags that Phil gets with the exception of the British magazine. Classic Cycles is good and so is Road Runner. Subscriptions are really inexpensive these days.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Except for the subscription to BIKE. I try not to even look at the bill for that one. I just get it and forget what it costs!

Top Bottom