Rider Magazine

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have been a subscriber to Rider Magazine for several years now. They went through tough times during Covid but survived unlike many other motorcycle magazines. I was paying about $26 annually for a subscription. I just received my renewal notice and the price has gone up to $54.99 annually.
I doubt that I will renew due the the price as compared to the value I get from the publication which is little. At one time I subscribed to all the US based magazines and a few international ones. The only one left that I have any interest in continuing is Motorcycle Classics which always seems to have a review of a motorcycle that I once owned or knew someone that did. I guess this is a result of changing times and the fact that so much information is free on the web.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I let all my subscriptions expire. The only Moto Mag I get is AMA and that is because I keep the membership for AMA for the road side assistance program. Covers all my vehicles for a 40 mile tow to the nearest dealer. Have use it twice in the last 10 years. Not for any bike issues but for towing of my cars that I had owned then. I hardly even read the Mag. got it the other day in the mail and it has been sitting on the table since then with the other 6 issues.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I enjoy my subscription to Road Runner magazine. The subscription fee was $38 but IIRC, that was for two years. I enjoy the articles, motorcycle reviews and especially the maps which come in every issue. Also have access to their online maps database. When it comes in the mail, I have a hard time putting it down until I've read every page, cover to cover.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I used to enjoy print magazines and newspapers. It looks to be a tough business to make a living at in todays world.
The only one I get in mail now is from AARP and the only reason for that is I save where I like to eat breakfast pretty regularly.

Arknt

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I subscribe to Rider and Bike (a UK magazine). I get the AMA magazine. I will probably continue to subscribe to Rider and Bike...Bike is my favorite, even though it takes time to get used to English the way she is spoke in the UK and they review bikes we won't get in the US. I grant that all the information is available online, although it seems as if more of that requires a subscription, but I prefer to be able to have physical copies of my favorite magazines.

Since two of my life-long interests are sailing and flying, I also subscribe to Wooden Boats and Flying magazines.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I gave up on Rider long ago. Used to be a good mag. Interesting technical stuff. Now all they do is plug accessoies in their "road" tests. I take Air Classics which is very expensive but very honest about why mags are so expensive to produce now adays and it has real information...like exactly why every B17 in the US is grounded. Not just pics of some lady bike tester dressed in THIS jacket or THOSE boots.

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
A journalist by training, for a long time I was an exorbitant reader. At one time I received 5 magazines a month: BMW Owner's News, Motorcyclist, Rider, Road Runner, & Wing World. And I would browse others at the local big box book stores.

Starting with dropping the GWRRA membership 15 or so years back, I've gradually let them all expire. Part of letting them expire was due to dropping out of organizations; other of it was because my general reservoir of knowledge didn't seem as hungry as it once had been. And a different aspect of it was due to a stroke in 2021 that impacted my eyesight. Reading used to be second nature to me; now it is laborious. The same was and is true of writing.

That said, I have recently thought of re-subscribing to Road Runner. I see it occasionally in the local Barnes & Noble and it looks to still be a viable piece. There's something gratifying at an intangible level about having the physical publication in one's hand.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
A journalist by training, for a long time I was an exorbitant reader. At one time I received 5 magazines a month: BMW Owner's News, Motorcyclist, Rider, Road Runner, & Wing World. And I would browse others at the local big box book stores.

Starting with dropping the GWRRA membership 15 or so years back, I've gradually let them all expire. Part of letting them expire was due to dropping out of organizations; other of it was because my general reservoir of knowledge didn't seem as hungry as it once had been. And a different aspect of it was due to a stroke in 2021 that impacted my eyesight. Reading used to be second nature to me; now it is laborious. The same was and is true of writing.

That said, I have recently thought of re-subscribing to Road Runner. I see it occasionally in the local Barnes & Noble and it looks to still be a viable piece. There's something gratifying at an intangible level about having the physical publication in one's hand.
I agree about paper media. I can't get into kindle reading or reading mags on line.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I would hate not to have my Kindle.
Me too. I still like the look, smell, feel and comfort of a "real" book. I have thousands of 'em, but I have to admit, the Kindle is something I would hate to be without. It's especially nice on long bike trips as it packs a lot lighter than the real thing.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

ett

Several years ago, I too dropped all magazine subscriptions due to lack of content and price increases. But mostly for overall cost in general.
While I still get a couple monthly magazines and one quarterly magazine; they are the result of having lifetime memberships to Rights organizations. The AMA magazine is one of them.
I rarely read any of them. Mostly they get placed on the floor, at corned of the sofa, and sit there until I feel the pile is too high.
At which point my lazy butt gets around to putting them out for recycling. Once or twice a year ?? :p

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I like Rider Magazine, mainly for the stories about rides. I like to hold the mag in my hand. Viewing it on the computer just doesn't cut it for me. The reviews are all typical motorcycle journalist reviews... "don't say anything bad or you won't get invited back to that amazing location for the next big test ride". I imagine the price increase is due to dwindling circulation, a vicious cycle.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I still get some paper sent to my house, enjoy the time spent with it.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I only get two motorcycle rags and both are about vintage bikes: one is mostly street bikes and the other one is from the UK and about dirt bikes.

At this point, in my life I could give a hoot less about the latest whizbang motorcycle with a bazillion horsepower and overloaded with electronic technology. I'm not going to buy one anyhow show why would I read the road test on that model? I cancelled my subscription to Road & Track magazine eons ago for the same reason - I wasn't going to buy a new car they praised.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I long for the days when Cycle World and Floyd Clymer's Cycle were at the top of the heap.... a bygone era. Motorcycling was great fun in those days.

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Back in the day I used to enjoy the "Top Dead Center" column by Kevin Cameron in Cycle World.
I liked them enough to buy a couple of "TDC" books.
The good old days, fun to reminisce.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Cameron and Peter Egan were some of my fav's. Egan wrote with a great sense of humor, very self-deprecating. I also used to enjoy outdoor magazines about hunting/fishing. There was an author, Patrick McManus whom I also enjoyed very much.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have several of Egan's books which are a compilation of his excellent columns in Cycle World and Road & Track, and I can honestly say, they would be good reading for non-gearheads. I especially enjoyed his long piece about the last trip of Hank Williams Sr. His stuff is just entertaining!

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3

In the past I subscribed to a number of motorcycle magazines but, most of the print mags have bit the dust and currently the only Mag that I subscribe to is Road Runner magazine.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I like Rider Magazine, mainly for the stories about rides. I like to hold the mag in my hand. Viewing it on the computer just doesn't cut it for me. The reviews are all typical motorcycle journalist reviews... "don't say anything bad or you won't get invited back to that amazing location for the next big test ride". I imagine the price increase is due to dwindling circulation, a vicious cycle.
Why is printing a magazine so expensive?
A lot of our clients come to us for online magazines because they feel printed magazines cost too much. That got us thinking, are they really that expensive and if so, why? Let’s see if we can break it down.
Publishing a print magazine became quite expensive.

Publishing a print magazine became quite expensive.
Paper

The biggest cost of a magazine is the paper it’s printed on. The cost of paper went up a lot in recent years. Just recently we’ve witnessed another increase up to 15% for graphic papers. The paper prices are going up because of increased production cost, particularly pulp, energy, transport costs and chemicals.

Variables are the weight, grade and stock of the paper your magazine will be printed on. The paper grade goes from one (being the whitest) to five (being a lower quality paper, usually more yellowish). The paper stock will range from

Trim size
Bigger isn’t always better. If you go from a 15 x 15 sized magazine to a 30 x 30 size it doesn’t double the size, it actually quadruples it, using 4x more paper. What people also tend to forget is the fact that magazines are not printed on sheets of paper the size of the magazine, they’re actually cut out of larger sheets, so contact your local printer to see what an economical size is if you wat to divert from standard sizes.

Page count
The more pages you use the more expensive it gets. More paper is used, the printing press has to run longer, more pages means more ink, more manpower... more money.

Quantity
One of the biggest factors for your price per magazine is the quantity. Of course your total price goes up the more magazines you’re getting printed, but the price per magazine might actually drop drastically when you go from 5,000 to 10,000 issues.

Binding style
There’s a lot of ways to bind a magazine, the most popular methods being perfect-bound and saddle-bound. Perfect bound is normally reserved for a larger page count. Saddle-stitching is usually the most cost-effective way, using staples to bind the papers together.

Vanity options
There’s many vanity options you can add to make your magazine look more appealing like coatings, special paper types and cut outs. And you’ve guessed it, any additional step means extra expenses for your magazine.

Reactions: ett
Top Bottom