Riding Jacket over Heated Jacket

bravo20

I'm new to the heated clothing,never had any. Can you wear a Motorcycle Jacket with Liner over a heated Jacket,which would be over a regular Shirt?
Wow can't believe that thats all in one sentence.
Like I said new to the heated gear,so no laughter.
Thanks an advance.
David

bicyclist

Well, you need to put it on and see what fits. If by "jacket" you mean a heated liner, they're usually not very bulky and will fit under your normal riding gear. The usual layering scheme is shirt, heated liner, then outer layers. You want the liner closer to your body for best performance. If you feel like the Bibb man, take the liner out of your motorcycle jacket, maybe substituting something thinner. As Chris said, pay attention to rain protection if the motorcycle jacket liner is the waterproofing.

You'll love the heated gear. Makes a huge difference in cold weather.

edit: A heat controller is very worthwhile if you don't have one. Much more convenient than having to constantly operate a switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
What George said! I've got some gear that I do wear with the liner over my heated jacket and some that I leave the liner out of. It all depends...

:)

elizilla

What they said. I will recommend a long sleeve t-shirt or a turtleneck under the heated jacket, and insulating/armored layers over the heated jacket.

The heated jacket is best if it's close to your skin but not directly touching your skin.

I buy my riding gear to fit without all those silly liners. Who wants to take their gear off on the side of the road, so they can mess around with a bunch of tangled up zippers and buttons to install a rain liner, when it's raining? And then ride down the road with water soaking into your outer layer, freezing you and weighing you down? Just buy a darned rainsuit you can put over the top of whatever you already have on. And the insulating liners either make the jacket too tight, or else the jacket without the liner is too loose and flappy. I get a jacket that fits without the liner, and if it's cold I wear a down sweater over my electrics and under the liner-free jacket. That way my jacket always fits and the down is warmer anyway.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Who wants to take their gear off on the side of the road, so they can mess around with a bunch of tangled up zippers and buttons to install a rain liner, when it's raining?...]

+1 to that! Putting on my Frogg Togg jacket or Frogg Togg pants is simple and I don't have to get undressed at the side of the road. With the exception of my mesh jacket and pants, my other stuff is all waterproof so the rain gear is mostly to keep me a bit warmer.

My mesh jacket has a "waterproof liner" which I've never used for that purpose since the idea of having a cold and wet liner next to my skin is not something I want to do.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris, I'm with you again. I haven't had any riding gear I've needed rain gear with in about 12-13 years. I heard all the stories about the Aerostitch "crotch leak," but I never experienced it. I've got First Gear stuff I'm wearing now and it's kept me dry as a bone. I did have a Frogg Toggs rain suit before I bought my 'Stitch and only wore it once. The zipper and a snap tore the first time I ever put it on. And then I got wet. I chunked it when I got home and ordered the 'Stitch.

OP
OP

bravo20

Most motorcycle jackets come with some kind of liner. The heated liner takes the place of the motorcycle jacket's liner.

Depending on if rain is an issue, you'll want to make sure that the motorcycle jacket either is waterproof or you have some rain gear along with you if it rains.

Chris
Thanks Chris,

Wasn't sure on the Jacket Liner needing to be removed,I guess when I get the heated liner,then I'll know. All my outer gear is waterproof,so no worries there

OP
OP

bravo20

What they said. I will recommend a long sleeve t-shirt or a turtleneck under the heated jacket, and insulating/armored layers over the heated jacket.

The heated jacket is best if it's close to your skin but not directly touching your skin.

I buy my riding gear to fit without all those silly liners. Who wants to take their gear off on the side of the road, so they can mess around with a bunch of tangled up zippers and buttons to install a rain liner, when it's raining? And then ride down the road with water soaking into your outer layer, freezing you and weighing you down? Just buy a darned rainsuit you can put over the top of whatever you already have on. And the insulating liners either make the jacket too tight, or else the jacket without the liner is too loose and flappy. I get a jacket that fits without the liner, and if it's cold I wear a down sweater over my electrics and under the liner-free jacket. That way my jacket always fits and the down is warmer anyway.
Thank Katherine,

I wear a dress shirt to work,so unable to wear t-shirt,turtleneck. Also agree on the outer jacket liner,zips/buttons etc. Hopping the heated liner will take that issue away,and I can just wear the heated liner along with outer Jacket which is waterproof

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I have a TourMaster heated vest I got at Iron Pony a few years ago. It came with a cord to hook to the battery and a heat controller you strap to your leg (strap also included). http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=361&cat=59 One of the reasons I picked this setup is everything you needed to use it was included in the package and the price.

Use: The power cord is long enough to be able to dismount to unplug if you wish or plug in before you get on. The cord on my bike stays on and lives under the seat. Honda has a point on the left side to route the wire out. I use it to plug in a tender when the driveway looks like a glacier and I am not riding much. The vest has heat in the back and chest and maybe most important neck. I wear mine over long underwear that contains Merino wool as a base layer when it is very cold with a long sleeve Henley over that. Over that I have a Sliders 3/4 coat that I wear without the thermal liner most of the time. It attaches to the coat and can be worn by itself. The controller has three heat levels. I start with High and it "asks to be turned down" in a few miles. Same for the mid level Low seems to do it for most rides. On early start days the heat is especially nice the heat can get shut off as the day warms and come back on as the day cools.

I don't have heated gloves just grips. I did get a pair of Held dual chamber gloves that are nice with the heated grips. They put a thin layer between the grip and your hands and a thick double layer to the wind one way or "monkey fur all around the other way. Unlike a lot of expensive things I have kicked myself for buying, these are great.

"There is never a bad day to ride, Just the wrong gear gear" some bloody genius somewhere

elizilla

Yes, Aerostich Roadcrafters are rumored to be waterproof. I wore one out, and it was kinda sorta waterproof when it was new. Most of the leaks, I blame on the terrible fit problems and the types of wear you get when the suit is the wrong shape. In spite of the problems I wore it for 100K+ since they are so very easy to live with. This year they introduced women's tall sizes, and the new suit has waterproofing improvements. So I have actually ordered another. I'm hoping for better results this time but since the lead time is now months long, I haven't got it yet. Maybe in spring I can make a report.

I have had rainsuits that kept the water out very well, much drier than the 'stich, but I have yet to find one that is both waterproof and not a giant flapping sail.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
There is a new heat controller on the market that you may not be aquainted with. It is from Gordon's heated clothing, Gordons is a new company that is put togather fby the founder of Gerbing and there is no relationship between the two companys.

This new heat controller is $110.00 and will be the next item I add to my heated gear assortment.

Here is the link to them: www.gordonsheated.com

Eldon

I have snug old Gerbing liners and wear them under what ever gear I chose to wear, always over street clothing and under outer gear of choice be it a Aerostich road crafter, or a custom built Langlitz leather suit, many times it is cool enough to want a liner and not bother to turn on the heat , but it is there if one changes their mind as conditions can vary.

LOL I do also have a good very waterproof rain suit which has a home on my bike 99% of the time just as the Heated gear does. It is just like your driver license and wallet, don't leave home with-out it!
I have been caught in a couple of frog drowning rain storms with just the Roadcrafter custom fitted, and I am happy to say that mine has kept me dry and comfortable,CROTCH and all.

Eldon

Last edited:
Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Heated gear. Best thing that ever happened to motorcycling since the invention of the wheel. I have a jacket and pants liner from gerbings. I don't wear the pants that often, but I was sooooo happy i had them when we rode down to Cambria, CA last October. Almost 1000 miles along the coast and it was overcast and foggy most of the way.

I also have an old Aerostich 'Unobtanium' vest. That gets used most of the time, as the majority of my late fall riding is commuting.

You will thank yourself if you get the controller. I opted for the dual one. On the Cambria trip, I had the jacket and liner on one side and the grip heaters on the other.

And with my little Honda Rebel, the controller is a must as the bike can't handle the vest and grips on full power.

Note on the 'waterproofness' of the aerostich suits. When the snow starts to fall and the bikes are bedded down for the winter, my 'stich gets cleaned. If there's something that needs to be fixed on the suit, I will send it back to Duluth. Last year I got the pants zippers replaced with the waterproof ones, new jacket front velcro, and something else...can't remember. They also have a wash and re-waterproof service that they will do for the suit.

This year, since nothing needs to be done, I will wash it myself. Grangers or NikWax. It gets washed twice, first is the debugging and cleaning, second is the re-waterproofing. Then it comes out, gets sprayed with more waterproofing and shoved in the dryer.

Never gotten wet and I ride in the rain all the time.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Well, you need to put it on and see what fits. If by "jacket" you mean a heated liner, they're usually not very bulky and will fit under your normal riding gear. The usual layering scheme is shirt, heated liner, then outer layers. You want the liner closer to your body for best performance. If you feel like the Bibb man, take the liner out of your motorcycle jacket, maybe substituting something thinner. As Chris said, pay attention to rain protection if the motorcycle jacket liner is the waterproofing.

You'll love the heated gear. Makes a huge difference in cold weather.

edit: A heat controller is very worthwhile if you don't have one. Much more convenient than having to constantly operate a switch.
Also what George said. I ride through the cold New York winters. My heated Widder vest stays very snug to my body with just a t-shirt underneath. I wear a fleece over this and under my Macna Jacket with a liner. All snug with temps in the teens.

Top Bottom