Riding with a passenger

elizilla

(from old forum)

Today I carried a passenger on my NT for the first time and was pleasantly surprised.

The NT isn't exactly setting the asphalt on fire, one-up. It's perfectly adequate, but it's certainly not going to win any stoplight drags. So I had figured it would probably feel anemic when ridden two up.

But today I carried a passenger, and not even a small one - I'd guess she weighed as much as I do. When I put someone that big on the VFR, I can really tell. But on the NT, it was about the same as riding solo. It did just fine! Even at parking lot speeds, it wasn't a struggle.

I am wondering if the weight and configuration of the NT conspire to hide the fact you've got someone back there?

Later, I traded bikes with the friend whose girlfriend I was carrying, and she elected to stay with the NT. That brought another shortcoming to light. The NT's passenger pegs are very close to the rider pegs, and if the rider has large feet and prefers a sporty foot position, the passenger's feet are in the way.

CoolNT

As far as power, I believe this is where the v-twin shines in terms of torque.

On the footpeg, I can see where this could be a problem especially for larger feet.

OP
OP

elizilla

One of my friends who test rode the NT this summer, has big enough feet that he could put them on both the rider and passenger footpegs at the same time! I have big feet for a woman, but nowhere near big enough for that to be an issue for me.

One of my friends who test rode the NT this summer, has big enough feet that he could put them on both the rider and passenger footpegs at the same time! I have big feet for a woman, but nowhere near big enough for that to be an issue for me.
That's one of my standard cruising positions.

OP
OP

elizilla

I sometimes put my feet on the rear pegs. But my feet aren't big enough to put them on both pegs at the same time!

Top Bottom