Riding with My Daughter

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Actually, I have two daughters, but the married one has returned to Việt Nam with her husband and baby. Grandma (otherwise known as my wife) sure misses that baby!

But, the other daughter (the older) attends the University of Houston where she is working on her doctorate. I try to see her at least once a month, and its a nice 750 mile round trip to see her.

Most of our weekend together was family stuff - just catching up on things - but we had some time for a Saturday afternoon ride up to Anderson, where she could be heard behind me yelling "Whoop" while I negotiated the curves. Gorgeous weather.

We stopped next to the old courthouse in Anderson for this shot.

When I arrived in Houston (she has a room in a house), she cracked me up by running out of the house wearing this - not typical of her at all - but it is typical of her impish personality.

Riding and family go so well together.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
It is always great when your daughter has an interest and partakes in your hobbies with you. The EX500 is my daughter's (Liza) bike and I am teaching her how to maintain it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Both of my "girls" love to ride. Maybe its because in their native Vietnam they ride motorbikes (like the one in my avatar) as daily transportation.

The older one dates guys who ride - one has a big Kawasaki ZX 14R and the other owns both a Honda dual sport and a sport bike. My wife says that girls like to date guys like their dad. :tongue:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Great pictures, Doug (and Chuck)! I'm glad you get to share something you love with people you love.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chuck,

She is so fortunate to have such a good wrench for her father as well as a competent teacher!,.

Eldon

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Riding with a your children (no matter how old they are) is amazing. I often go down to ride with my son (40), and yes it is better the riding with your best riding buddy. It is hard to put in words how good that time can be, something special watching him take the curves knowing we share the the time together.

Bike
2011 NT
All 3 of my daughters rode with me as soon as they could ride saftly. One still rides her own bike and has started giving her grand daughter rides with her. My 5 grand kids have ridden with me untill the got grown up. A good life with them.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I've taken by daughter out a few times but as she lives far away it hasn't happened in a while. I like to ride with my son, but he has his own ride. He lives even farther away.

Nice pictures.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Great story and pictures. I am trying to get my wife to ride. It may happen. She sat on a Gold Wing last week and liked it. (Oh no!!) I am in west Houston. Next time you come up drop a PM and we'll try to meet up.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Great story and pictures. I am trying to get my wife to ride. It may happen. She sat on a Gold Wing last week and liked it. (Oh no!!)
After I totaled my first Connie, my buddy Tom who had an almost identical bike called me and offered to sell it to me since he was thinking about getting a Goldwing 1800. Twenty minutes later he called back and said to forget it. His bike wasn't about to let him sell their Concours. A week later he called me again. He'd stopped a Honda/Kawasaki dealer to look at the then-new Concours 14 and while he was doing that, his wife had sat on the Goldwing. He wrote a check for the 1800 on the spot. What Sherry loved the most about the GW was that it was comfortable enough that she could sleep on it when they were driving in Denver traffic. She loved riding pillion when they weren't in traffic, but hated going through Denver and Colorado Springs.

I bought his C-10 Connie and rode it 50,000 miles before buying my NT.

Tom had been a smoker and he died three years later of lung cancer. The guy I sold his Connie to hadn't ridden it for two years and was going to sell it, but I saw him at a meeting this week and he's started riding again.

Phases and stages...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Thanks for sharing the stories and pictures. It's always nice when a family rides. My father had a 250cc BMW as a daily rider. My sister had a JAWA 350 Twin and now rides a 60s Velocette Thruxton. She has had that Velo for 20 years. I used to ride with her quite a bit when she had the JAWA. In 70 she moved to Austria where she rides the Velo (She bought it in England ).

Top Bottom