Right Side Rear Body Panel

Bradkap

The rear right side body panel is connected by a bolt and a screw. The screw is still in place but the body panel has broken away from the screw permitting vibration. Any ideas on how to either remount or stabilize the body panel ?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Brad, is there any way you could take a couple of pictures so we could see exactly what you're talking about?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
That'll help! I'm willing to bet someone here will have a solution.

OP
OP

Bradkap

Here are some pictures of what I am referring too. The identical screw on the left side and the left side body panel are firmly affixed and there is absolutely no wiggle. I suspect there is a crack which the body panel broke away from the screw. I am wondering if perhaps I remove the entire panel, use some type of epoxy to repair the suspected crack and then put it back together ???

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Bradkap

out of warranty. I suspect it is my fault. I am thinking that if I remove the screw. pull the plastic away and create a little space, I can repair the crack with gorilla glue; let it dry overnight and then replace the screw ????

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
If it's out of warranty, I'd definitely try to fix it more than once before I sprung for a new part!

I've used JB Weld on a lot of things like that and have had good luck. Sometimes I've needed to re-repair it, but it holds for a long time. Good luck!

OP
OP

Bradkap

JB Weld it is. I will pick some up tonight and give it a try. Thanks ! Brad

Bike
2010 ABS Silver
I think most of the panels are ABS. I have had some good success using ABS glue from the hardware store for use on ABS drain pipes. I had a mini tip-over in the garage that pushed the turn signal into the fairing (the edge of the short ladder was just in the right spot). I used it to repair the torn mounting tabs on the turn signal body and re-mounted into the fairing. In any case I agree with the above comments, your best course of action is to try glue/epoxy first. The replacement parts are very expensive.

Good Luck!

OP
OP

Bradkap

thanks gents ! I will give it a whirl this evening once the garage cools down. Way too hot out there to do any work.

elizilla

Temperature of the work space is especially important when you're doing this kind of work, so definitely, don't do it in a miserably hot garage. Many adhesives and body fillers and epoxies and whatnot, have specific temp ranges they require. Make sure to read the label and schedule your work accordingly.

OP
OP

Bradkap

As I started to pull things apart, I could tell that there does not appear to be a crack, but the metal anchor the screw is screwed into seems to have stopped working properly. I pulled out e screw reinserted it while holding plastic faring tight and it seems to have caught again and is holding almost as tightly as the left side. I am going to ride up to the AMA Vintage Bike event (3 hours) and see if it holds. If not perhaps the problem is the anchor ?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Good deal! Is it the kind of thing that retapping the screw hole might fix if it does get loose again?

Top Bottom