Ruriko tests the new GB350!

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Such a gorgeous bike, the girl is nice too. I bet you it's 5 times better than the 1975 CB60T that I owned for nearly 10 years.

Heal shifter, niiice...

The taillight shape is very similar to the mid-1960 taillight design.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I wonder if owners will actually ride this GB. The last one is a $10K collectors' item that nobody rides. Low mileage examples just get passed around to the next owner who wants to stick it in their living room after the seller gets tired of looking at it.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Not me, I’d ride this thing around town.

Hard for me to justify getting one if they came to the US. I already have 3 bikes. Might a add a pretty good balance too.

This is the best and informative video that I found on YouTube done by a local dealer in Japan.

You don’t have to speak Japanese to understand what he’s saying. You only need to know how to speak motorcycle. 😄

Bike
2010 NT700V
Personally, I never understood the hype over the original 500.

I think there's much cooler bikes from the 89-90 time period that deserve more attention.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Personally, I never understood the hype over the original 500.

I think there's much cooler bikes from the 89-90 time period that deserve more attention.
I was in High School, forced to move out, and support myself at the time the GB500 came out was available in the US. I would have gotten one of these at the time if I only had the money. Between rent and union dues to work at a local supermarket chain part-time were stretching every dollar that I had at the time. I only wish my father would have helped me get this bike. It would have been perfect with a set of throw-over saddlebags to get me to through the last years of High School and then through college. However, he decided to support my sister and all her 6 kids at the time. I was on my own both physically and financially. Not a spectacular bike, but it would have fit the purpose I needed it for at the time. I would've rode the wheels off it.

When I was financially stable after getting married. These bikes were going for over $4,000. It should have been worth about $1,200 or 1,500 about 20-years ago. I saw those prices and gave up on chasing after one.

I got Megas, my 1987 XL600R which is basically the same engine. From the people that had owned, one once said that they were "Under Welming", in their own words. So as it turns out I already have a better bike setting in my garage for the past 4 years.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R

Yes. Both the NT650 Hawk GT and CB1 were on the list of bikes that I was also looking at during the same time.

The CB1 was basically a stripped-down 400cc Sportsbike. I probably got too many tickets on it or killed myself on it. I am kind of glad that did not happen for this bike either.

The Hawk GT would have been a great bike for me too. I bit more sporter than the GB500. I would've probably only gotten speeding tickets on that bike.

I had both a 1976 CB550K and a 1976 CB750A Hondamatic during that time. I hated both of those bikes and I still do to this day.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I like the new GB350 about 5x more than I ever liked the GB500. The 350 is a normal bike and not meant to look like a Norton Max being raced at the Isle of Man with low bars, solo seat, big tank, etc. I rode the GB500 once or twice when they were new and was quite underwhelmed. It was Ok when zipping around city streets and back roads but if you ever had to get on an interstate, it was done. The MSRP was very close to the Trans-Alp or Hawk 650GT and both were much, much better for all around fun.

If they ever brought the GB350 here, I'd be seriously interested in buying one! :)

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I like the new GB350 about 5x more than I ever liked the GB500. The 350 is a normal bike and not meant to look like a Norton Max being raced at the Isle of Man with low bars, solo seat, big tank, etc. I rode the GB500 once or twice when they were new and was quite underwhelmed. It was Ok when zipping around city streets and back roads but if you ever had to get on an interstate, it was done. The MSRP was very close to the Trans-Alp or Hawk 650GT and both were much, much better for all around fun.

If they ever brought the GB350 here, I'd be seriously interested in buying one! :)
Well then, based on your previous statements. The GB500 would have been the perfect bike for me living in the Antelope Valley and buzzing all about in the 1990s. Even out on Avenue J between Lake Los Angeles and Lancaster.

I also concur the GB350 looks like it would be a great bike for metro transversing or less densely trafficked roads. I would also consider purchasing one for myself. However, I have a very good lineup that meets my every need at this moment. It would be really tough for me to give up even one of my bikes in the stable. If Honda were to make the GB350 into a CFR350L, then there would be no way I could say no to that configuration. Then I might retire Megas from active duty at that time.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I wonder if owners will actually ride this GB. The last one is a $10K collectors' item that nobody rides. Low mileage examples just get passed around to the next owner who wants to stick it in their living room after the seller gets tired of looking at it.
This is aimed at the Asian market and will sell for less than $5000. They are turning them out like sausages....Honda has RE India right in its cross hairs......

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Yes. Both the NT650 Hawk GT and CB1 were on the list of bikes that I was also looking at during the same time.

The CB1 was basically a stripped-down 400cc Sportsbike. I probably got too many tickets on it or killed myself on it. I am kind of glad that did not happen for this bike either.

The Hawk GT would have been a great bike for me too. I bit more sporter than the GB500. I would've probably only gotten speeding tickets on that bike.

I had both a 1976 CB550K and a 1976 CB750A Hondamatic during that time. I hated both of those bikes and I still do to this day.
The CB-1 didn't have the chassis for the motor, and the Hawk didn't have the motor for the chassis. I have owned both since new, and the CB-1 has only 6K miles. Kind of sums up how I feel about it. :) My Hawk has a reworked suspension with a Fox shock in the rear. It has a full Supertrapp exhaust which helps with the power. But it is still a sport bike chassis with a lazy cruiser motor. The CB1 has a very close ratio gearbox, which requires a lot of shifting. It gets old during normal riding. And 7200rpm at 60 mph is tiring. I guess I am getting old. :)

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The CB-1 didn't have the chassis for the motor, and the Hawk didn't have the motor for the chassis. I have owned both since new, and the CB-1 has only 6K miles. Kind of sums up how I feel about it. :) My Hawk has a reworked suspension with a Fox shock in the rear. It has a full Supertrapp exhaust which helps with the power. But it is still a sport bike chassis with a lazy cruiser motor. The CB1 has a very close ratio gearbox, which requires a lot of shifting. It gets old during normal riding. And 7200rpm at 60 mph is tiring. I guess I am getting old. :)
:shrug2: Like I said before, "If I haven't owned them in the last 20 years. I probably won't ever will."

There have only been two bikes that I bought a second time CB360 & XL600R.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
The more I look at this bike, the more I like it. The Standard model looks better in my opinion over the Sport model.

I sure love the sound of a Thumper...

Bike
2010 silver NT700
The more I look at this bike, the more I like it. The Standard model looks better in my opinion over the Sport model.

I sure love the sound of a Thumper...
If it was a 350 twin, it would just be another run of the mill bike. But having the cadence and torque of a single, makes it desirable imho. As you say.....it has a sound you could listen to all day. It even has a usable helmet lock and center stand.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I still use a photo of my 2009 TU250x as my avatar here. It might only be a 250 but if I remember right it was rated at 18hp, and this new GB350 is rated at 20. I am sure there is more torque in the newer bike. Both bikes tick the same boxes. If I could go back in time and do things differently...I would still have bought the NT700, but I probably would have kept the little TU instead of trading it in when I bought the NT. The GB350 looks interesting too.

Any of those here outside of Japan or India that like the CB350 should take a serious look at a TU250X (if you can find one). The TU250x here was also sold for a very long time in Japan and other places as the ST250. While often used as Learner bikes at MSF courses here, it is still a great local run about. In fact, I have read about several people buying ex-MSF bikes with low miles pretty cheap.

Top Bottom