Russell Day Long

I mailed my OEM seat on Thursday, they received it on Tuesday ( Monday was no-mail) and today they phoned me for billing information, and said the saddle will be on the Brown UPS truck this afternoon.

Good fast service

OP
OP
Rotorhead
. . . and it better have some jewels enbedded into it, too

It turned out to be a tad pricier than I was expecting. Butt my first long ride will make it all worth while

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Hey, Don, off-topic, but I'm getting ready to farkel a bit: did you take the instrument cowling (cover) off to install the voltmeter and temp gauges?

Did you get a heated Russell? I got leather and driver only spring and foam, and because of the fact that I got in on the FJR Group buy, saved money over the last time I bought a Russell. I had a good ride on it today -- about 170 miles, the most so far since I got it. Felt good!

OP
OP
Rotorhead
For my two gauges, I just loosened the bottom enough to get my fingers behind it. Then the razor knife and the snaking of the wires.

I don't think I got the heated seat. Maybe the fat-boy springs. Leather and diamond. Don't know what else. I'll let you know more the middle of next week

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
For my two gauges, I just loosened the bottom enough to get my fingers behind it. Then the razor knife and the snaking of the wires.
Obviously, I hadn't seen this when I asked the question about whether you'd seen my question. So, now that you answered my first question, here comes my second question:

Did you pull the fairing pocket?

Oh, and where did you put the thermometer's temperature sensing bulb? Seems like there's more than enough wire for it, doesn't it?

OP
OP
Rotorhead
Yes, I pulled the pockets on both sides. the temp bulb I snaked forward and fixed it just about an 1" out one of the front vent openings. On the inside plastic, I used black Gorilla duct tape to keep the wires in place.

OP
OP
Rotorhead
Can't tell you yet, as I haven't had a chance to ride it.

Went in today for my first Epidural Steroid Injection ( at L-5 ) and can't do anything like riding or driving for 24 hours.

It DOES sit nice, though

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Igo,

I've got a Russell DayLong on my NT. I had one on my Connies and loved it. I love the way it feels and rides on the NT. It did raise me up about an inch. Where before I could flat-foot the NT with both feet, albeit with less weight on one foot than the other, now I can get one foot down flat and touch the ground with the toes of the other foot.

But, that's OK. The seat works very well for me.

BTW, when I first got the NT, had some issues with the reach to the bars. MC Larry's bar risers helped, but more than anything, just putting on a lot of miles made the biggest difference. I was mostly comfortable on the stock seat. It didn't bother me at all on my Saddle Sore 1000, but on a couple of 800 mile days, I had intermittent periods of butt burn.

I'd recommend riding the bike a bit before I did much in the way of drastic changes. However, I would go ahead and get the bar risers from somebody it I were you.

elizilla

I got the solo configuration. I almost never carry a passenger and when I do carry one it's never for very long. It didn't seem worth the extra cost to have a second bucket. The passengers would probably just find it awkward to get their legs over, and they never ride long enough to hate the seat anyway. I suppose if I did get one, I'd just have them make it to fit *me*, since I probably get more passenger time on my own bikes than any one other person does. And I'm the one paying the bill, right? :)

The Russell driver backrests are nice. They fold down over the drivers seat so you can swing your leg over, then you can fold them back up and lean on them. And they're just the right height and shape for good lumbar support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Rick,

I've got the solo Russell, too. Joanne can't rid because of bursitis and I'm not likely to carry any passengers. If I do, they can just tough it.

OP
OP
Rotorhead
I really haven't been ignoring you ~~ just didn't answer right away.

My Russell is also set up for solo. I figure I'll have a duffle of some sort riding back there, or maybe an aux fuel cell

Top Bottom