S&T to Garmin

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I am planning my Lewis & Clark ride in detail on Streets and Trips and I would like to transfer it to my Garmin Zumo when done. Has anyone figgered out an easy way to do this? I've tried base camp and it is impossible for me to figger out. There has got to be an easy way to do this...... isn't there?

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mike, there's a program called Easy Bake that (IIRC) will convert S&T files into BaseCamp files that can be loaded into your Garmin. I had tried to use it last summer when i was planning on riding in the HW3 Rally (How the West Was Won). But, the problem for me back then was that the HW3 had over 600 possible waypoints that you needed to winnow down to a route that you could ride in under 34 hours while riding at least 1100 miles and give you finishing points for the rally.

Put the complexities of that together with trying to understand BaseCamp and I was plumb flummoxed. Since I'm registered for the '17 HW3, I guess I need to get back to trying to figure out BaseCamp. Since I understand S&T, I guess I need to get back to trying to understand Easy Bake.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
I have been looking for a solution and currently am experimenting with ITN Converter from Benichou Software. Converting from .est to .gpx (Diamler NGT 50 GTX) will load into Basecamp but will require recalculation. I have been successful a couple of times but I have also run into Basecamp refusing to recalculate. I don't know why that has happened.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
When you save you S&T do you save as gpx file? I then transfer to GPS. Still can loose your route if you don't have enough way points. GPS can be the most frustrating item you can have on a ride. I always carry a computer (state maps suck and Rand McNally books are bigger then my small Lenovo, and I'm old), to check routes.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Garmin and the phrase "easy to use" cannot be in the same sentence! :-(

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
Converting from .est to .gpx (Diamler NTG 5.0 GTX) will load into Basecamp but will require recalculation. I have also run into Basecamp refusing to recalculate. I don't know why that has happened.
I discovered after the import, the Basecamp ride profile is "direct". Changing this to "motorcycling" or "driving" takes care of the "not recalculating" issue.

During the conversion process, I found the route was changing from the original .est. Ultimately, the change is explained because ITN Converter uses Google Maps. The changes were to roads that are currently closed due to construction or snow pack. Amazing!

Garmin and the phrase "easy to use" cannot be in the same sentence! :-(
Spot on!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
If it was easy I might even do it. The only thing I use my GPS for is to varify my speedometer and find my way through cities. Most of the time it just takes space in my tank bag.

tawilke46

Reading this thread is like reading my mind.......
My GPS is used sparingly, mainly verifying speed and giving me my location. Used for planning trips, nah. For that I use a MAP and a highlighter. Even then I do not always follow the highlited route, especially when an unhighlighted interesting road appears.
BTW, my NT speedo is within 1 to 2mph of GPS indicated speed. Now my Wee speedometer is way off, depending on how fast or slow I am going.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I have a new hero!! Garry ("its just rain" on the Forum) just walked me through the process of saving a Streets & Trips trip file as as GPX file and then importing it into my GPS.

The process was slow because his Zumo was a Zumo 660 and mine's a Zumo 350. But we figured it out. I'm more than willing to walk anybody else through the process. I'm so glad I won't have to figure out how to use Base Camp! I just wish Streets and Trips would get updates on new highways, etc. I wish Microsoft would reconnect to it or sell it to somebody who'd keep it up to date. It's still the best mapping program out there, IMNSHO.

Bothell, WA in the wet part of the state.
Bike
Red 2014 FJR
Thank you Phil. It's not worth a whole lot if you have the knowledge and don't pass it along to someone else. Thanks for being so patient with me while I was figuring out to make yours work like mine. I absolutely agree with your comment about Streets and Trips. I've searched for hours trying to find a replacement for it but no one makes one that is nearly as easy to use. Very nice to meet you!

Top Bottom