Saddle bag Lid Replacement

Strider

Has anyone been able to replace the lid on a saddle bag. It’s unfortunate that they are so delicate. The catches in the cover have broken off. My shop doctored up a fix- first tried welding (all plastic) then they glued (?) them. They held for a couple of years. Now after a >1000 mile round trip they finally gave up. I’d like to have a more “permanent” fix. Don’t need it to let go while on the road.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Of course people have been able to replace the lids. It's just 4 hex nuts on the hinges and unscrew the straps and they come right off. One of the most common upgrades is to install the "large lids" that were only available in Europe. In the states the best bet is to wait for David Silver to import some. https://www.davidsilverspares.com/NT700VA-ABS-2010-USA/part_197850/

You could order new stock smaller lids from Honda if you really wanted. If you're going to keep using the internal latches, instead of installing aftermarket draw latches like a lot of owners do. The best bet is to reinforce the areas on the lids when they're new and undamaged with an epoxy.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I think I could get into the side cases with any of the locking choices with a screwdriver.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Locks are there to keep honest people honest. An elastic loop requires only fingers, which anyone walking by will most likely be equipped with.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Chris, where did you get those bungee gizmos? It looks like those could be installed without taking the rear pannier housings off.

Mike

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, where did you get those bungee gizmos? It looks like those could be installed without taking the rear pannier housings off.

Mike
Saw the post on the Deauville facebook page. They said to check touneau cover fasteners on ebay.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think I could get into the side cases with any of the locking choices with a screwdriver.
Security is an allusion. These things are plastic. If I would use the elastic, I would have cam over locks in case I wanted to use them also. In 54 years of touring, no one but this bird ever took anything off of my bike. The bird dropped my gloves and got to a gooey roll. After working the zipper. Nothing out of the tank bag, strapped on bags...nothing.....probably cause they didnt think there was anything they could sell and bikers have a habit of carrying guns.
IMG_0592.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Locks are there to keep honest people honest. An elastic loop requires only fingers, which anyone walking by will most likely be equipped with.
I would just cover up the important stuff with old underwear stained with brown paint.😛

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
A lot of the repair pics I have seen fill up the frame in the original lids. This leaves one edge of the tower not supported much. I would prefer to add a frame and support it better.
External latches are probably the best answer although my reinforced survived 45,000 miles.

Brad

Bike
2010 NT700V
This i
This is all new to me, I can understand the catches being weak just screwed into plastic. Did you build a little frame for the epoxy to set in or is that frame already in place? I’ve only had mine a couple of weeks and believe it or not I’ve only opened the left hand one (when sitting on it) just to look inside and get to the seat latch. As I’m in the house with a can in my hand reading this I can’t remember. In all honesty I’m not planning on using the side panniers as the top box will serve 99% of my needs.
I wrote up a little guide here. https://www.nt-owners.org/forums/threads/lid-latch-epoxy-reinforcement-is-very-effective-highside-aftermath.12863/post-172794

A lot of the repair pics I have seen fill up the frame in the original lids. This leaves one edge of the tower not supported much. I would prefer to add a frame and support it better.
External latches are probably the best answer although my reinforced survived 45,000 miles.

Brad
As the epoxy starts to set up, you can build up some on the side of the posts facing the storage area. I obliterated a lid in a wreck, and the reinforced areas essentially stayed together as a unit.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
T In all honesty I’m not planning on using the side panniers as the top box will serve 99% of my needs.
Even if you are not planning to use the panniers now. It's a good idea to reinforce them before the cracking takes place. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.... whoever first said that was a smart feller...

Mike

Top Bottom