Schuberth C3 closeout

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
That is a great price if a person is in the market and the size and color are suitable!!

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
I was ready to order 'til saw they didn't have my size. I was soooo disappointed.

Wanda P.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Got mine. Nice helmet. Fit is pretty good, glad I went with a size larger than I normally do.

I also 'confirmed' that my ears must sit higher on my head than most (and they are a bit larger). Will have to carve out some of the ear pocket to fit the speakers as they are a bit shallow as built. Will also have to apply a spoon to that same spot in my forehead that every other helmet has needed.

Removing and reinstalling the liner is a bit more of a chore than most, especially with that funny 'safety strap' that loops from back of helmet to the chin straps. Good thing?

Sun visor is a little darker than my HJC and sits in about the same position so that will be good.

Haven't ridden with it yet since has been a bit cold for the commute (below 20F). Will try it out tomorrow.

OP
OP
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
OK, so I was wrong.

Due to experience with other helmets I always took reviews as partial truths at best. Have had fairly expensive helmets and inexpensive helmets. Some were as reviewed some were not. I just could never justify buying a $700 helmet that was going to be just as bad as the rest. $300-500, yes, I could afford to buy one of those and then reject it if it did not live up to claims. And the "doesn't matter if it's noisy cause I wear ear plugs" I always considered a cop out. My most recent helmets were the Shoei RF1100, HJC Symax III and a HJC 3/4. Several others before that, but, that was in the 'dark ages' when full face helmets first came out (Bell Star). I have never owned an Arai, again, because of cost.

So, I had the Symax III. It was not as quiet as my more recent Shoei (RF1100) but with a full faring it wasn't bad unless there was a crosswind. It fit and worked well enough, especially since I got it for $100. Many of you here realize that I am cheap when it comes to most stuff. I won't pay out 'extra' unless it is really warranted. I have put almost 30k miles on that Symax III and it has performed well. I was actually looking to replace it with the RPHA when it came time.

When this sale came up I figured, what the heck, buy the new one now and see what the fuss is all about.

So, am writing this after 2hrs straight on some backroads, speeds mostly around 65mph with some shots to 80/90 range. Just for the record I have a really good fairing setup. I sit in almost a quiet bubble with the airflow over the top just barely touching the top of the helmet. I also have quite loud pipes, especially compared to an NT. I was even considering getting some mew mufflers to quiet the drone, which was even irritating when wearing ear plugs.

And, on trips, I do wear the foam ear plugs, 32dB reduction. Around town I do not.

Riding with the Schuberth. As I said before the sunshield is about 2 shades darker than the HJC. Really nice. The clear shield is also noticably thicker and clearer. Part of that may be due to 30k miles of bugs and wiping on the oldeer helmet, but, I think it is just a better quality shield. Better also than my older Shoei. It is also nice that it has a 'crack' adjustment for days when even the pinlock fogs. Love that (wanted that on my previous helmets).

Chinbar lock. It is stiff. I have to press in on the chinbar and up on the latch to get it to release. Not bad and not unlike the Symax in that regard. It is a much smaller tab so am having trouble with it with winter gloves on. Practice will probably make it easier. But it goes up and down and locks smoothly. Sunshield lever on the side is also smooth and easy to operate.

Viewport is a bit wider than my HJC, which was better than the RF1100.

Ventilation. So, I tried this out several ways. First behind the fairing. Not much to note...except when I opened the top vent I got a good rush of air (and it was cold :) ). Remember there isn't that much airflow up there from the windshield but it was really good. Opening or closing the chin vent did nothing. Next I stuck my head out in the direct airflow. Got more air in than I wanted. Chilly day. Twenty points for ventilation. As a comparison the Shoei and Symax both had top vents and I could tell the difference, but, I could leave them open all winter and never get a chill. The chin vents on both of them were nearly useless, even in direct airflow.

Noise. Yes, I alwasy thought everyone was being a bit optimistic about noise reduction. Yeah, airflow noise reduction I could understand, but, most of the noise I get behind the fairing is road and engine. Took off down the road. I live near 7000ft and almost anywhere is lower altitude, so I usually have to clear my ears. So, when I felt like I had to clear my ears this morning I was not surprised. What did suprise me was my ears were clear. There was just not much noise! Yep, just what all of you C3 owners have said for years. As a reference, the noise inside the helmet WITHOUT earplugs is just as quiet as my Shoei or HJC WITH earplugs. Yes, you heard right. So, when Schuberth says they have measured a noise reduction inside the helmet I believe them. And that is NOT wind noise, just ambient reduction.

Just for grins, like the ventilation test, I wanted to see what wind noise was like. So again I stuck my head out from behind the windshield. At the edge where it is turbulent it is noiser (keep in mind it is still quieter than my other helmets when they were not in the airstream). As I stuck the head into 'clean' airflow it became quiet again. Yep a rush of air, but, nothing like other helmets I have worn.

Last is shape and weight. Measured weight is lower than my HJC but not by a bunch. The HJC is a L and the shell is noticably smaller than the XL Schuberth. If I could have fit in the L Schuberth (the smaller shell) then there probably would have been more of a difference. Shape. After 2hrs in the helmet I do not have any hotspots at all. This does surprise me since I've never had a helmet fit without some modification, especially at the top of the forehead. This might be due to the XL size. My head measures 59.5 which is a L for most mfgs, but, is between L and XL for Schuberth. So, the XL is probably a bit big for my head. It does pass the 'fit test' and feels good so I am ok with it.

So, again, I apologize again for doubting all you C3 guys/girls. It really is a step above other helmets that I have owned.

Would I spend over $700 for it? Knowing what I know now I'd probably save my pennies for one.

Extra bonus. The flat black color (the only XL size left) matches my bike :)

Last edited:

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I ordered one from Revzilla last week, a medium with the only available color being flat black, not my favorite for visibility. It is scheduled for UPS delivery today. Just for grins, I checked their website this morning and saw that they have 1 (only) medium available in glossy white. Most likely a return. So, I called them and they set my order up for it and issued a no cost return for the flat black one. Great customer service! And I get a more visible color too. They suggested I hang on to the flat black one until I get conformation that the new one has shipped, then return the old one.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
As long as you have a round noggin, and not a long oval, the Schuberth is a great helmet. Just not for me. Like my head was in a vise. Ouch.

Top Bottom