[Review] Schuberth C3 with SRC-S First Thoughts

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
My local motorcycle dealer (Outsider in Montlhery) was having and end of Summer Sale and offering about 20% off their stock so I stumped up for a Schuberth C3 with SRC-S (Bluetooth) system. I got 21% off the helmet and 25% off the Bluetooth system. Outsider fitted the Bluetooth system to the helmet and also paired it up to my GPS for me.

The Helmet

What?s in the box? The helmet with a Pinlock Visor, a separate sun visor, a helmet cover and very comprehensive manual.

This helmet just oozes quality! The quality of the finish; the quality of the fittings; the thought behind how everything works. I thought the Nolan N103 was good but the Schuberth C3 is in a different league. The exterior is a Glass Fibre type material which, according to the manual, can be painted. The interior is some sort of foam and, I think, alcantara.

The fit is snug, very comfortable and very, very light. The lining is super soft which is why it is so comfortable. The chin strap has a Velcro pad to hold it together and the fastener is similar to that of the Nolan, but with a little tab to make it easier to remove (as I said before, a lot of thought has gone into this helmet). I wear glasses and putting the helmet on and taking it off is really easy no need to remove my glasses and, the helmet doesn?t pinch the frames.

The flip front is easy to use though, with the SRC-S system, it does require two hands to close it properly (more on this later). The ventilation is nothing short of fantastic. It cools when you want it and, when you don?t need the cooling, it still manages to ?vent? the visor without you getting cold.

The visor gives excellent visibility and the Pinlock works extremely well. A quibble is that the Pinlock inner visor isn?t as wide and tall as the one in the Nolan so you can ?see? the edges more easily. The various positions of the visor hold it where you want it until your speed reaches about 50mph then it closes. There is a lock to lock the visor down which takes some practise to master but, this really makes the helmet much quieter on the motorways (highways). The Sun Visor works very well and is easy to use (unlike the Nolan which sometimes sticks). There is a lock position in the fully up which is nice. The Sun Visor is made of a thinner material and is more flexible. I would prefer it to be less flexible.

The ventilation has been extremely well thought out. There are two vents: one on the front of the helmet below the visor and one of the top of the helmet.

The vent on the top of the helmet has 3 positions: Off, partially open, fully open. It also has an adjustable flap on the inside of the helmet which seals off the vent holes in the top for winter riding (did I mention a lot of thought has gone into this helmet?). The vent works extremely well, gives massive amounts of ventilation when open and fully sealing the top of helmet when closed. Oh, need to clean under the top vent? They thought about that as well! You can use easily remove the vent for cleaning by using the open/close button as a lever.

The front vent has two positions: Open and demist. In the Open position, copious amounts of air flow in giving you all the ventilation you need. On the Deauville, the front vent can be noisy when open. This has something to do with the flow of air off the screen because, on the Honda Crossrunner, there is little or no noise when it is open. When closed, it seems like there is no air entering the helmet but, this is not the case. A small amount of air is directed over the visor helping to keep it ?fog free?. Also, when closed, the noise on the Deauville disappears. All the air vents out through a gauze section in the collar.

The SRC-S System

The microphone is huge. That?s the first thing you notice. Apart from that, everything is hidden in the collar which is, in my opinion, excellent.

I?m not a fan of distractions on a bike and use the SRC-S system mainly for Bluetooth GPS so I don?t need to look at the GPS screen (I can?t because it is either in the glove box or my pocket so, if I need a visual check, I have to stop to do it). Having said that I do use the radio on long runs but, for the sake of testing, I did try it in and around town once. I also use the Bluetooth for Rider to Pillion conversation.

It took me some time to get used to the SRC-S System after the N-COM on the Nolan. It functions in a different way so there was a learning curve. Personally, I think the N-COM works better as there are some idiosyncrasies with the SRC-S (more later).

The SRC-S System is made by Cardo, so if you have the Scala Cardo it is probably very similar. So what does it do?

Just about everything. Bluetooth (A2DP & AVRCP), cable, Rider to Passenger, GPS, Phone, Bike to Bike, MP3 and even an RDS, FM Radio all in stereo. Oh, and it even connects via USB to your computer. The system is noise sensitive so increases the volume automatically as your speed increases (a nice touch). It also has voice prompts, though this isn?t as helpful as it sounds.

Because of the size of the microphone you need two hands to close the front (and you need to remove an Anti-Noise pad from the front of the helmet). This means you can?t close it when pulling away from stationary (it also states in the manual that you must not ride with the front open).

To switch the system on you press and hold down the Mobile Phone Button for a very long time (about 8 seconds), it says 3 seconds in the manual but it is at least over double that, Why? Switching it off is, thankfully, only about 3 seconds.

Although the manual says it will remember the items that it is paired with, this isn?t always the case with V3 of the software. I have to pair my GPS at least 3 times every time I switch it on before it reliably pairs. I think the problem is the voice confirmation in the SRC-S. On the Nolan N-COM it pairs first time, every time.

The Radio is RDS which, on the face of it, seems like a good idea but, in and around town it will suddenly start searching for a new channel (as the aerial is very small) and often just ends up hissing in your ear. With the RDS switched off everything seems to work well. The sound is stereo and the volume increases with speed. Also it cuts off my GPS (which the manual says it shouldn?t) so I can?t use it with GPS.

The computer interface works well and you can set the radio stations on it (probably it?s most useful feature).

I haven?t used any of the other features yet. When I do I?ll add to this review.

Oh, the buttons are totally useless when wearing anything other than very light summer gloves but this is the same on the N-COM as well.

Scores

In my opinion the helmet is excellent. The thought and the attention to detail is phenominal. For the Helmet I would give an A++. It would have got an A+++ if the Pinlock hadn?t been quite so visible and the registration system on their web site had been working properly. I still haven?t been able to register for their Mobility Program even after contacting their support a number of times.

For the SRC-S system I would give a C- as there are too many glitches and insufficient thought has gone into the system. OK, to be fair, Schuberth licenced the SRC-S system from Cardo. Having said that, for a helmet of the quality of the Schuberth C3, the Bluetooth and the sound system should be just as good and Cardo need to do a whole lot better.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Glad to hear the report. One day I might spring for a Schuberth.

Cardo complaints sound familiar. I have a Q2. Since using my Q2 and now the SENA I have become a fan of the external 'box' with simple to use controls, even for heavy gloves. The SENA gets great marks for that.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I really like my C-3, too, except for one not-so-trivial detail. For some reason the Pinlock insert on mine doesn't stay in position. It tends to end up slumping toward the bottom of the visor and when it does that, the seal is broken and the helmet fogs up. If I push the Pinlock up with my thumb after lowering the chinbar, it usually stays in place and when it does, the visor doesn't fog at all. On my Nolan, the Pinlock pins could be adjusted to make for a tighter fit, but it doesn't look like that's the case with the Schuberth.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
OK, I have to jump in here with my two cents since there may be some riders who are interested in the C-3 but maybe not with all the audio stuff.

I've used my C-3 for tours to Nova Scotia and Key West so by now it probably has 20K touring miles on it. When I bought it they weren't available in the US so I had to order it through Designer Helmets in the UK. They were easy to deal with, very helpful in selecting the right size (one down from my normal size) and delivery was speedy. All of that for a mere $650.

Frankly after having to deal with a warranty issue that cost me $75 to ship the lid back to the UK I wouldn't do it again; in fact now that I've used the helmet quite a lot I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, at least not at the price they're getting. Don't get me wrong, it's a great helmet and worthy of praise, I just don't happen to think it's worth that kind of money. My thinking is simple, there are a number of other helmets available that are very good quality for a lot less money. For instance...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/vemar/jiano-evo-tc/review.htm

I generally change helmets every other year or so (call me fickle) and some of the best lids I've ever used came from Japan. I realize you can now buy the C-3 here in the states but it's still priced way up in the stratosphere, double what a decent high end lid from a lot of other makers costs. My advice? Shop around and try on some of the other options, you may find what you're looking for at a price point that makes sense.

Before anyone starts throwing bricks my way I admit total ignorance (iggernunce?) when it comes to audio features, etc. I messed around a bit with my MP3 and satellite radio when I first got my Gold Wing but I've never used an intercom and probably never will. After trying out the radio thing I decided it was (for me at least) more pleasurable to ride with only myself to listen to so I let the service lapse.

BTW, my Garmin 550 works fine on my NT without having the audio hooked up so I'm going to leave it that way. I find it less distracting when the only thing I can hear is my tenitus ringing away....

Lastly and this is for Phil, I've not experienced any issues with the Pinlock other than my own screw up when I cleaned it too vigorously causing damage to the surface. It's a bit delicate for my likes but since I've replaced it things seem to be holding up well enough. :eek: Maybe I should send you my old visor and you could salvage the sealing thingy?

LL75 :)

PS - Guys and Gals:If your helmet seems to be allowing too much noise into your gourd maybe you should try wearing ear plugs? Try Mac's brand, they're available anywhere and they work great. You'll be amazed how quiet things get with them.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Larry, thanks for the offer, but let me try contacting Schuberth and testing the customer service first.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Larry, thanks for the offer, but let me try contacting Schuberth and testing the customer service first.
Customer Service is OK. The web site, especially the Registration, doesn't work. I've only used the English version maybe the German version works.

Top Bottom