Scotchgard

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I now have three Hi-Viz jackets. I have read that one of the disadvantages with this color is that it will start to show dirt and black specks over time. I have thought about applying Scotchgard to them thinking that it might at least make it easier to clean them in the future. Has anyone had any experience using Scotchgard on their motorcycle gear ?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Actually, Warren, I regularly apply Scotchguard (green top) to my 'Stitch. Any Gore-Tex or similar water-proof fabric garment has Gore-Tex (or whatever is similar) bonded to the Cordura (or simillar) exterior fabric. The Gore-Tex lets moisture vapoer pass through the membrane keeping you from feeling like you've been running in a rubber suit). The pores are too large for water to go the other way and soak you from the outside. But for the Gore-Tex to work, the Cordura has to have a Durable Waterproof Protective coating of some sort. Otherwise the Gore-Tex can't "evaporate" your sweat.

I use the Scotchguard green top and spray it on after I wash the 'Stitch. Unfortunately, as near as I can tell, it doesn not enhance the stain resistance of Rider Wearhouse/Aerostitch Cordura at all. When I look at pictures of what my 'Stitch looked like last summer and what it looks like now, it's obvious that it's time to take a shot at cleaning it again. It'll look better when I'm done, but it will never look like new.

I consider a stained Hi-Viz 'Stitch as a badge of honor, quickly identifying me to the Lond Distance Riding cognescenti, as a respected member of this exclusive club. :)

Well, it's one way of not being bugged by the garment's looks. My wife has not been so easily persuaded, BTW, and constantly wishes I'd really clean it.

elizilla

I used to spray my gear with Scotchguard, but I got tired of the days-long post-asthma attack feeling you get when you've shellacked the inside of your lungs. And no face masks ever seemed to help very much. So I switched to the Nikwax product that you squirt on and run the gear through the dryer. More expensive, but less painful. Both worked equally well.

OP
OP
Warren

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Actually I am not that worried about them looking dirty but that the dirt would start to mask the purpose of the Hi-Viz. I was hoping that Scotchgard might extend the period of time that the Hi-Viz would be effective.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I am again taking my wife's advice. She is a professional boat canvasmaker and sailmaker. Scotchguard will not prevent stains on your jacket unless you rinse it off after a "Dirty Ride" Kiwi makes a product called Camp Dry which waterproofs fabric, has UV inhibitors, and prevents mildew (those black specs you mention)--Don't even think of using anything with Chlorine!! I sprayed my ICON pants and Tourmaster Jacket with the stuff and it has rendered a rainsuit obsolete. My stuff is not Hi-Viz. I am all in Black except for the helmet which is a bright yellow. Katherine, it will make you sneeze. Hang it out for a day and the chemical odor is gone.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ride a lot and they get dirty.

I spray nothing.......when they get real dirty looking, sell them to some idiot on ebay who wants to look like he rides a lot.

John Grinsel
Well, it's always worth something to make idiots look good...if that's your mission. But since I paid close to $1,000 for my 'Stitch and might get $3-400 for it IF I found some idiot with body proportions kind of like mine, it seems to me as if it might be worth washing it every year or so and doing what needs to be done to keep it waterproof.

Katherine, I haven't had any reactions to the Scotchguard, but it does stink till it dries, doesn't it? Of course, out here where right now the relative humidity is 18%, things dry a bit quicker than they do in your neck of the woods.

elizilla

It's not the stink, it's the cloud of floating scotchguard particles that you breathe while you're doing the spraying. I would do it outside, but it's still a cloud.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Katherine, I use a respirator mask--cheapest at Harbor Freight. I also have Asthma and it seems to solve the problem. I work with fiberglass and clean a lot of bicycle parts with solvents. So--you look like a bug for a short time--fair price to pay for breathing.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I now have three Hi-Viz jackets. I have read that one of the disadvantages with this color is that it will start to show dirt and black specks over time. I have thought about applying Scotchgard to them thinking that it might at least make it easier to clean them in the future. Has anyone had any experience using Scotchgard on their motorcycle gear ?
I used it a couple of times on the spouses Olympia one piece suit. Kept it water resistant, but did nothing to keep it cleaner.

I wash my gear once a year with NikWax (or Grangers) products. If I need to get road grime/bugs/etc off the gear I use an OxyClean type product and an old toothbrush.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks for the tip on the toothbrush, Dee. I've been thinking about maybe trying to wash my 'Stitch before the Rally, maybe even before my Texas trip.

OP
OP
Warren

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I used it a couple of times on the spouses Olympia one piece suit. Kept it water resistant, but did nothing to keep it cleaner.

I wash my gear once a year with NikWax (or Grangers) products. If I need to get road grime/bugs/etc off the gear I use an OxyClean type product and an old toothbrush.
Thanks to everyone for the tips. Since I live in an apartment I think I will pass on the Scotchgard. Oxyclean and an occassional washing appear to be the way to go or maybe I will just let them get grungy.

Top Bottom