Seafoam?

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Several other motorcycle forums I have visited are big fans of Seafoam as a gas treatment/stabilizer and general "gunk-cleaner-outer." Anybody here use it? I generally put a couple ounces in about every 3rd or 4th tank full, and a double dose when I may not be riding for a while (i.e. winter).

Bike
2010 NT700V
I have used SeaFoam in everything I own that has an engine. Both bikes and the lawnmower get a a shot just before they are stored and a bit in the spring. The snowblower gets some added and then drained and run until it quits. It gets a small shot on the first usage each winter. I tend to use things like that sparingly. I put in about half of what the can directions recommend.
Google "seafoam ingredients" and you can make your own.

Madmax

I use it all the time. I added some to my riding mower yesterday.

stupidmonkey

I use it for my ex500 because it's carb'd and I don't ride it as much. I used to use it in mowers and other small engines back in Iowa.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Guys that ride vintage bikes with carbs that were not meant to run on 10% ethanol usually use some sort of fuel treatment. I have used Seafoam in my Yamaha but so far I have not used anything in the NT. I am not sure if a fuel injector cleaner is advised or not.

1fastbob

Seafoam? Techron is among the best fuel system cleaners out there. BG44K is great if you are having problems with deposits on injectors, valves, heads etc. I run some Techron (made by Chevron) through all of my vehicles usually once between oil changes. I have used Seafoam, but have not had any results I can verify. To me it's more snake oil than helpful. It is good for removing carbon deposits by injecting it directly into the vacuum system, but water and tranmission fluid will do the same thing (I wouldn't do this on a motorcycle though).

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
When I looked on Honda's web site in their accessories catalog they did not have any Honda fuel injector cleaner. They have spray carb cleaner and every other chemical you can imagine needing for a motorcycle but no fuel injector cleaner. Next time I am at the dealer I will ask them about it.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Not in an injected bike. No need to.

The reason for products like Seafoam and Stabil are carbs. Let fuel sit in them for a month and it evaporates, leaving behind that horrible varnish. It gets in the jets and airways of the carb and you get a rough running or even non-running engine.

I use Stabil in all my carb engines that sit for a while between uses. Lawn tractor, lawnmower, weed eater, snow blower, and generator all get it. If I am not going to ride the Guzzi for a while I put some Stabil in it and run it around the block a couple of times.

Fuel injected engines do not let fuel evaporate in the injectors or other critical passages so no need for those products. But, I do like to use Chevron fuel because of the Techron additive.

bicyclist

I haven't used anything in the NT, though I think I'll give it a periodic dose of Techron. I used Techron regularly in my BMW. If you read the MSDS, it says that it contains a light oil among other things. It coats the aluminum bits in the fuel system and helps prevent the corrosion which has caused havoc with BMWs recently. BMW sells it repackaged under their own name. I figure it can't hurt and may help counteract the crap gas we have in the US.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The vacuum fuel valve on my Concours failed right after I added Seafoam to try to clear the carbs. Don't know if it was related. I'm able to buy ethanol-free gas here at home so that's what I use.

elizilla

I would not say that. The ethanol gas in the tank can still go bad. But the injectors themselves don't need it to keep them from gunking up.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
So are you all saying fuel injected motorcycles dont
Need stabelizer if stored for the Winter
NO not at all. Use it any time you leave the fuel in the tank more than two weeks around here with the humidity and temperature swings.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Bob, there is a valve stem seal that separates the part of the stem you can see and the part you can't see. The part you can see runs in oil. The part you can't see would be in the fuel intake area. Extreme high heat can "coke" (not "cake") oil on a valve stem.
Sounds more like an oil and/or cooling problem than a fuel problem.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
You can treat the oil with Seafoam as well as the gas to prevent varnish build up. I have not used Seafoam so I can not claim that it works only what they claim it can be used for.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have used seafoam before on older cars. Instead of adding it to the gas or oil, we would suck in small quantities through a vacuum line. It would clean out everything and create a monster cloud of white smoke.

Since last fall I have been periodically adding "Sta-bil" to my machines if I think the gas is going to sit in the tank for more than a couple of weeks. I always used to to stablize the gas and counteract the ethanol. I am going to look at the contents and see how similar these are.

So Seafoam works as both a cleaner and a stabilizer? Would you use it instead of Sta-bil? I don't like the idea of adding both at the same time.

OP
OP
Pick
Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I have used seafoam before on older cars. Instead of adding it to the gas or oil, we would suck in small quantities through a vacuum line. It would clean out everything and create a monster cloud of white smoke.

Since last fall I have been periodically adding "Sta-bil" to my machines if I think the gas is going to sit in the tank for more than a couple of weeks. I always used to to stablize the gas and counteract the ethanol. I am going to look at the contents and see how similar these are.

So Seafoam works as both a cleaner and a stabilizer? Would you use it instead of Sta-bil? I don't like the idea of adding both at the same time.
I always use SeaFoam as a stabilizer. I've heard bad things about Stabil -- don't know if it's true or not. I stopped actually "winterizing" my (carbed) bikes several years ago, just in case we get one of those dry 35- or 40-degree January days and I can go for a quick ride. I just give it a double dose of SeaFoam and plug in the battery tender. Never had a problem starting it up the following spring, so I guess it works. I've heard numerous stories from people with rough-running lawn mowers, weed whackers, generators, etc. and they run some SeaFoam through and it blows white smoke and then runs like a top.

Bike
2010 NT700V
BobAgain, my bad. I was thinking of the part of the valve stem you would see while adjusting the clearance. You're right. The part in your pictures would be in the incoming air stream. Port injection would shoot fuel and whatever was in the fuel in that part of the valve and stem. Direct injection (like a diesel engine and a FEW cars use) would shoot straight into the combustion chamber. We have port injection.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Don't know about problems with Stabil. I've used it for over 10 years now in all my lawn gear. I add it to the gas year round, 4 stroke and 2 stroke.

Never had even a hiccup in starting any of these engines and they all run great. Even after sitting for over 9 months they will start on the first or second pull. The cheap, 2 stroke weed eater has been around now for 11 years and not had a problem. First time I've had a cheap weed eater that lasted more than a few seasons.

I also add it to my Guzzi during the winter months. And I ride it with the stabil in there. No issues.

bicyclist

I think that there are a couple of versions of Stabil; one for ethanol gas and a different one for real gas. I read somewhere that using the wrong one can cause problems. Of course, that's just stuff on the innerwebs, so who knows.

Top Bottom